Unofficial Mills

Greg is the new Breakfast Show host as Nick Grimshaw quits

Jordan12

Greg's doing a live chat on the Guardian at the moment, some very interesting answers to questions! Few of my faves below... https://www.theguardian.com/music/live/2018/aug/10/greg-james-webchat-bbc-radio-1-breakfast-show

The show's not going to be massively about guests every single day. That's one thing I will change

I don't wanna say theme tune because it's not quite a theme, but there'll definitely be a memorable melody. 

All sounds very promising and I like the sound of the approach he's going for. Glad to hear that the Ten Minute Takeover is coming along for the ride!

Also Scott faded Greg's practice run up this morning briefly.  You could hear he was playing the song that Scott had just finished playing.

1 hour ago, Chris D said:

All sounds very promising and I like the sound of the approach he's going for. Glad to hear that the Ten Minute Takeover is coming along for the ride!

Also Scott faded Greg's practice run up this morning briefly.  You could hear he was playing the song that Scott had just finished playing.

do you know what time in the show that was also for note Scott used the standard Grimmy jingles, so its still branded "The Radio 1 breakfast show with Scott Mills" so differing from the last time he covered between hosts 

1 hour ago, Lee E said:

do you know what time in the show that was also for note Scott used the standard Grimmy jingles, so its still branded "The Radio 1 breakfast show with Scott Mills" so differing from the last time he covered between hosts 

Starts at around 1:08:40. Greg was a couple of songs behind

Radio 1 is far too scared of "creating" another Moyles-style personality centred show, they're taking away aspects of ownership, creativity and ego of the shows, and are in danger of making the breakfast show too sterile again! I want the Greg James Breakfast Show, not Greg standing in for Grimmy with a few new features...

Another interview with Greg... https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/greg-james-reveals-all-on-pranks-pay-and-5am-starts-as-he-prepares-to-take-over-as-bbc-radio-1-a3911431.html

Lots similar to the Guardian interview but I found this bit interesting:

You’re compromised if you’re mates with the people you’re interviewing.

Wonder if that's a little dig at Grimmy?

6 minutes ago, OohErr said:

He's really doing the rounds of the press at the moment - he's on this week's RadioToday podcast where he talks about the more nerdy stuff.

Loved the bit where he said it'll give Moyles amo and think he reffered to Moyles when he said about DJ rivalries 

51 minutes ago, Darren m said:

I think it will be more of a moyles type show less gusts etc which will be a good thing 

He keeps saying "with the listeners not for the listeners" or something, which suggests it'll be a lot of callers and not much team interaction though. Probably won't be a full zoo format.

From yesterday’s Evening Standard: There’s a new jingle in the works too: “The first cut was too laddy, we’ve come up with a more mischievous melody.”

Anything has got to to be better than the crap jingles that replaced the original Grimmy ones when he started in 2012. Greg is bound to have some input on his own theme, he’s a nerd!

Its becoming more evident that Grimmy was pushed out due to falling listening figures. Something had to give. I don’t usually listen to media hype but this is one they’ve got spot on. He will be rubbish at drive time and won’t last long, I’m certain of that.

4 hours ago, OohErr said:

He keeps saying "with the listeners not for the listeners" or something, which suggests it'll be a lot of callers and not much team interaction though. Probably won't be a full zoo format.

Yeah I think it’s more of a steer and nod towards Scott’s shows of recent years, sorting listener problems, involvement with their stories and development of listeners to regular show characters such as James the pi and good news Jamie.

the days of Moyles full on zoo format are long gone. Thinking back to listening to Moyles growing up and it was abit strange that radio1 - breakfast show aimed at young people who love music had musicless Moyles on for so long.  I loved the show and love Moyles but totally get why they’ll never go back to that 

There’s a new BBC News Interview with Greg, which is quite interesting. In it, he talks about how the new show has to have lots of content in it because people are all listening at different times, he also says that his newsreader is going to be Roisin Hastie and also that he really likes Alice so he’s glad to hear her on Fridays breakfast show. Also, he’s impressed with how Jordan is working his way up Radio 1.

14 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

There’s a new BBC News Interview with Greg, which is quite interesting. In it, he talks about how the new show has to have lots of content in it because people are all listening at different times, he also says that his newsreader is going to be Roisin Hastie and also that he really likes Alice so he’s glad to hear her on Fridays breakfast show. Also, he’s impressed with how Jordan is working his way up Radio 1.

Got a link to it? 

29 minutes ago, Dan18F1 said:

Might this mean a promotion is on the way for Alice in the next year or two? Maybe her and Dev on drive if grimshaw doesn't last?

2 hours ago, rickbutterfield said:

New Greg podcast announcing that he's going daily! Plus a sneak peek at the imaging https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06hqn8p

New imaging sounds great, very Greg.

a niggle that’s going to grow - i can’t buy the way the guy says ‘breakfast’ through his teeth (9seconds in the podcast)

now ive pointed that out i can’t unhear it and it’s goinng to get irritate me each day