Unofficial Mills

Friday is now the weekend

OohErr

28 minutes ago, Lee E said:

I absolutely agree about the Dance anthems thing - when did Scott cover it on a Friday? 

Twice- on 4th December 2015 and New Year’s Day 2016. Interestingly he also covered it on a Saturday once too sitting in for Danny. Plus, don’t forget, he used to do “Ready For The Weekend” from 6-7pm on Fridays prior to being kicked off drivetime which was pretty similar to the current format of Friday’s Dance Anthems.

9 minutes ago, koalasunshine said:

Anyone else upset that now we only get three scott mill's dailies a week? :cry:

Three? Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, no? But yeah, I'll miss having a content show on a Friday although maybe it means Monday-Thursdays shows will be even better. Plus, tbh I found my enjoyment of Friday's podcasts has been ruined by Maya Jama, who (I may have mentioned once or twice) really irritates me. 

30 minutes ago, Marcus17 said:

Plus, don’t forget, he used to do “Ready For The Weekend” from 6-7pm on Fridays prior to being kicked off drivetime which was pretty similar to the current format of Friday’s Dance Anthems.

Or, if you've been listening for a really long time, Scott Mills's Friday Floor Fillers (whooooooo?). Straight after The Wonder Years. OMG!!! Literally just had a thought whilst writing this - do you think this means the return of... 

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITS OOOOOOOOOOOOONNNLLLLYYYYYY BLEEEEEEEEEYYYY FRIIIIIIIDAAAAAAAAAAY!

On 4/10/2018 at 5:22 PM, Ant L said:

I can't see Chris joining him as the show isn't very zoo-format worthy but Mills has always been better than any chart host he's covered so should be good.

Although I remember this chart show with Scott, Laura and Chappers which worked as a one-off.

http://unofficialmills.co.uk/download/radio-1s-chart-show-28th-march-2006/

4 hours ago, Jono said:

Although I remember this chart show with Scott, Laura and Chappers which worked as a one-off.

http://unofficialmills.co.uk/download/radio-1s-chart-show-28th-march-2006/

Wow, quite interesting hearing some pulling-relating chat - not sure they'd get away with it now!

But yeah, a normal Mills show with the chart included could work if it's back to 3 hours.

2 minutes ago, Ant L said:

Wow, quite interesting hearing some pulling-relating chat - not sure they'd get away with it now!

But yeah, a normal Mills show with the chart included could work if it's back to 3 hours.

I was thinking that the other day, there's a lot of content from yesteryear Scott and others wouldn't be able to do these days!

30 minutes ago, Ant L said:

Plus, Scott usually plays around 45 songs on his usual 1-4 show anyway? There would be no reason that he wouldn't be able to keep some show features.

Ben Cooper needs to have his head checked. These changes must be the most ridiculous I’ve ever heard of in nearly 7 years as a station listener.

Greg James was so happy to get the chart duties in 2015, but less than 3 years later it’s being swept from underneath his feet. Recently, his absence on Friday’s are mainly due to his commitment to Sounds Like Friday Night and his possible movement to TV work. Is there a back door open? I’m just speculating here, but on the other hand MistaJam must be pissed about not getting chart duties anymore! He tore it up and did well.

Scott taking over the chart is an OK move, and there’s no one else I’d like to see get the job. After all, he is experienced here.

The breakfast show change is madness. Whilst there has been speculation for years about Grimmy’s departure, it cannot be denied that Dev is possibly the worst breakfast presenter since Edith Bowman. More-so, he is the worst presenter the station has. He’s been there a long time, does old jokes and boring features, and is so not funny. How does Alice cope with him?! She must be tearing her fiery locks out! It’s time Dev was given the boot, and long overdue that she was given a permanent morning fixture at weekends or weekdays. Weekend mornings have become awful with Dev - I simply cannot listen.

Are listening figures for weekends low? Cooper’s way of fixing this is wrong. There is proof here that weekend schedules haven’t been as good as they should be, and it’s not getting better with this 3 day weekend. His medium mentions “Listen, Watch, Share” -clearly he’s forgotten that went out of the window 3 years ago.

New Music Fridays aren’t being pushed like they were before. And the Greatest Hits feature is fantastic. The ones at the moment should become a more permanent thing twice a day.

Ditching Dance Anthems on a Friday night is a brave move, but not the biggest loss.

God help this station at weekends. Cooper needs firing.

1 hour ago, Jono said:

I was thinking that the other day, there's a lot of content from yesteryear Scott and others wouldn't be able to do these days!

I think that's a great shame actually - whenever I listen to classic Mills clips on here I always think the show used to have an air of naughtiness that's somewhat lacking these days. Not always - every now and again they do or say something that's a bit suggestive or borderline rude, but not as often as I'd like. 

I understand why, but it's been ten years since Sachsgate - surely now it's time to start pushing the boundaries back a bit more again?

23 minutes ago, Ryan Pannell said:

The breakfast show change is madness. Whilst there has been speculation for years about Grimmy’s departure, it cannot be denied that Dev is possibly the worst breakfast presenter since Edith Bowman. More-so, he is the worst presenter the station has. He’s been there a long time, does old jokes and boring features, and is so not funny. How does Alice cope with him?! She must be tearing her fiery locks out! It’s time Dev was given the boot, and long overdue that she was given a permanent morning fixture at weekends or weekdays. Weekend mornings have become awful with Dev - I simply cannot listen.

I agree that Dev is one of the most boring presenters and I think that's one of the reasons he's been paired up with Alice. Hopefully the show will start to improve as Alice is one of the best on the weekend line-up, will be interesting to see which way Friday breakfast listening figures change, probably giving Ben Cooper an idea of where Grimmy stands against them in terms of popularity to determine his future on breakfast.

22 hours ago, THIS IS THE BBC said:

I agree that Dev is one of the most boring presenters and I think that's one of the reasons he's been paired up with Alice. Hopefully the show will start to improve as Alice is one of the best on the weekend line-up, will be interesting to see which way Friday breakfast listening figures change, probably giving Ben Cooper an idea of where Grimmy stands against them in terms of popularity to determine his future on breakfast.

Maybe Alice and Dev will become breakfast full time in the end with Grimmy relegated to weekend greatest hits ? 

Or will Greg finally get breakfast and Scott back on drive?

• 1 month later...

So has anyone listened much today? I heard a bit of Dev and Alice, who I do like a lot, more than Grimmy, but it just didn't sound quite right - it's a weekend breakfast show, which is obvious because that's the point of the weekend starting early, but weekday breakfast shows are a completely different beast to their weekend counterparts. 

Weekday breakfast shows need to feel a lot more topical and "of the day", whereas weekend breakfast shows are mostly for people travelling or finishing up on overnights. They can feel a bit more timeless, but when you have a timeless weekend breakfast show on a weekday, it doesn't quite work. That's before you get into the whole "woooo it's the weekend" thing whilst Susan, 29 from Northampton is getting ready to go to her job as a middle manager at a call centre. Or something like that. Although Dev and Alice did acknowledge that.

Didn't hear Maya (nothing but respect for MY mid-mornings presenter, James. O'Brien) but I did see in the chatbox that the greatest hits stopped after 11. What stupidity. Although not too many complaints from me that they're not having too much more Greatest Hits. Should've been Jordan though, he could do with a less restrictive format. 

As for Matt and Molly, I didn't hear them today either but I like them and I feel like Matt's act is the one that translates best to weekdays - not to mention the fact that he's had a lot of weekday experience covering that timeslot over the years, so he knows what he's doing. 

But Scott on the chart is just great, I'm gonna miss having an extra day of show content but at least that awful Maya Jama arrangement is over. 

The trails are pretty good too, I must admit. Especially the one where Alice Levine is the Queen.

Will it last? I'm not sure yet. But even if it's a dismal failure Ben Cooper would rather drive the figures into the ground before admitting he got it wrong.

I managed to have a short listen to almost every show yesterday. I like both Alice and Dev, it was lovely to hear them, but it was confusing listening to a show called Weekend Breakfast on a Friday on my way to work. I can only imagine how confused those were who get up to the radio each morning. (Even Annie used the word "confusing" on her chat with Scott later that evening, around 43 minutes into Dance Anthems.)

Then my confusion hit a new level with the Greatest Hits show stopped being Greatest Hits halfway through. I really don't know what to say about it... the team must've been drunk or... idk. Also Maya was just awkward and annoying as always.

Sadly, I missed Matt & Mollie, but I trust them, seemed like a fitting show for Friday afternoons.

And the chart was... well... The Chart. But with Scott. He sounded like this was his dream, so I'm happy for him. I'm not a "chart person" myself, but at least he's still on 5 days a week. And Dance Anthems stays, that's also a plus.

I think they will get rid of this "Friday is weekend" brand as silently as they can in a few months, but no later than Greg's breakfast debut. He will be on Monday-Friday, I call it.

Didn't hear much of Dev and Alice but even they acknowledged how strange it is calling it "Weekend Breakfast" on a Friday when most normal people are going to work/school/college like any other weekday. For people who listened, was the format as loose as the weekend show or did it feel like a weekday breakfast show? 

Matt and Mollie - they do seem to genuinely get on but from the bit I heard, I wasn't that impressed. Their content seems so forced, they did a link of what music is coming up and did things like "Len Goodman's favourite song" for Seven by Catfish and the Bottlemen - I cringed. When you're so used to listening to Scott and Chris at that time on a Friday, they just seem like such a downgrade. Still listenable.

Scott - not much to say, he's brilliant on the chart and sounds so at home. You could tell how much he was enjoying it. Usually don't listen to the chart and tune in for Dance Anthems but had to listen for Scott's first - he sounded great on DA too.

Maya - this might be an unpopular opinion on here but I think she's brilliant. Ok technically there's still room for improvement but she has great personality and her content links were pretty good I think, much more entertaining than Clara whose show seems to revolve around "that was, this is" type of links apart from the Live Lounge. Maya's top of hour bits are good and I think there's huge potential with her, I see why Ben Cooper is pushing her into more prominent slots. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see her eventually take the 10-1 slot permanently. I was a bit confused to hear the Greatest Hits stop just after 11 - I think 3 hours is too much anyway but might make more sense to have the Greatest Hits dispersed more evenly throughout the show instead of going full-on between 10 and 11 and then basically just going back to the normal playlist for the rest of the show.

11 hours ago, murste said:

Didn't hear much of Dev and Alice but even they acknowledged how strange it is calling it "Weekend Breakfast" on a Friday when most normal people are going to work/school/college like any other weekday. For people who listened, was the format as loose as the weekend show or did it feel like a weekday breakfast show? 

I'd say it was the opposite - the weekend breakfast show feels a lot more formatted and planned than the weekday one, and this carried over to Friday. It sounded like the bulk of the show had been planned the afternoon before, whereas breakfast shows should feel slightly more spontaneous. I think anyway.

11 hours ago, murste said:

Their content seems so forced, they did a link of what music is coming up and did things like "Len Goodman's favourite song" for Seven by Catfish and the Bottlemen - I cringed.

Really? I love that bit, the slightly lame jokes always make me laugh. For me, Matt Edmondson's best work is his scripted stuff.

I also noticed with the Greatest Hits Without the Greatest Hits that they changed up all the jingles so that it was still the Greatest Hits stuff, but without the voiceover that said it was Greatest Hits. Confusing? 11:18 right now, looks like they've gone back to the normal playlist again.

Not sure this "Friday is the weekend" thing was actually means tested but I could be wrong. As alluded to above, Friday is just a workday for many people & this just creates confusion, particularly with the Weekend Breakfast show on a Friday. Inconsistent & weeeeirdddd. 

I'd love to see Cooper properly shake the schedule up, I do think a significant amount of R1's output seems rather half-arsed and some new blood to replace the likes of Matt Edmondson would be simply delightful, particularly if the replacement was someone like Jordan or Maya (or both?!)

After hearing the trails over the last week (the Queen Alice Levine one is particularly good), I caught the end of Dev and Alice’s show then bits of the other shows throughout the day on Friday.

First time I’ve heard Dev and Alice together and thought they worked well together however I didn’t hear enough of it to catch any features or compare it to Grimmy’s show.

Maya was alright I guess, she wasn’t annoying this time and I didn’t notice any technical problems. She had a few anecdotes to tell and didn’t have any one to interrupt. No worse and no better than a Clara show to be honest. Glad that greatest hits didn’t run for the full 3 hours – hopefully this is the start of it being phased out either completely or at least to an acceptable level. Of course, this show should really have been Jordan’s.

Matt and Mollie were as good as ever and Mollie sounds more comfortable on air now. In reply to other’s comments about the jokes in the songs coming up bit – I like this part of the show, it is very Matt Edmondson however it works better with his delivery than it does with Mollie’s.

Scott sounded great on the chart – best chart show I’ve heard for a while.

All in all good to have something different at breakfast (and to have Alice on an extra day), 10-1 was nether better or worse, Matt was as good as always and it was good to hear Scott doing the chart.

I do wonder, however, how relevant is Mollie King these days? Does she have a big following and which age group are they targeting with her?