Unofficial Mills

Biggest Weekend 2018

Dan18F1

Big Weekend this year has been turned into Biggest Weekend with the the three other BBC music stations and in conjunction with BBC music to replace Glastonbury this year. 

This means that there is going to be a stage in all 4 nations of the UK and Radio 1 is in Wales in SWANSEA! 

All 4 events will happen on the weekend of the 26th, 27th and 28th of May. 

Officially confirmed artists are Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rita Ora, Camila Cabello, Stefflon Don, Mabel, Liam Payne, Sigrid, 30 Seconds To Mars, George Ezra and Sam Smith have been announced this morning as acts who are playing the Biggest Weekend.

No real surprise that Rita is performing again this year. She has been at every Big Weekend since 2012, with the exception of 2016.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:05 AM, Jordan12 said:

No real surprise that Rita is performing again this year. She has been at every Big Weekend since 2012, with the exception of 2016.

To be fair she has actually released a lot of new music this year so it should be better than previous appearances which have all been almost identical.

The Radio 1 Academy returns this year, ahead of the Biggest Weekend with workshops, live music and industry insight among the events taking place. Matt and Nick will be hosting free sessions to inspire young people into creative careers. A 'School's Tour' is included too - offering every senior pupil in Swansea the chance to get involved. I imagine the DJs will take it in turns to present their shows from Swansea, as they have in previous years. There will also be collaborations with BBC Radio Cymru nearer to the Big Weekend which Huw will host.

It all kicks off on Tuesday 20th March.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have to say, I'm a bit jealous watching all the Instagram stories of the Radio 1 DJs right now. They're all out in Swansea and it looks like they're having such a laugh, is it weird that I'd love to be mates with them.

Chris Stark and Jordan's are particularly good, they've filmed Matt Edmondson and Molly King riding off on scooters ditching them. It's very funny.

15 hours ago, OohErr said:

Have to say, I'm a bit jealous watching all the Instagram stories of the Radio 1 DJs right now. They're all out in Swansea and it looks like they're having such a laugh, is it weird that I'd love to be mates with them.

I don't think it's at all weird. I think it's quite natural - especially if you listen to them every day and have done so for years. They share so much of their lives and you become invested; look at when Chris Stark announced he was getting married. That was a huge moment for me as a listener as I have listened to Scott and Chris for years - from the Tap End days and the stag dos/holidays in Kavos to this big thing.

4 hours ago, Jordan12 said:

I don't think it's at all weird. I think it's quite natural - especially if you listen to them every day and have done so for years. They share so much of their lives and you become invested; look at when Chris Stark announced he was getting married. That was a huge moment for me as a listener as I have listened to Scott and Chris for years - from the Tap End days and the stag dos/holidays in Kavos to this big thing.

You're so right.  Just look at the reaction when Chris Moyles left R1, or Christian O'Connell left Absolute the other week - people really cared. Listeners get really invested in shows and the people on those shows. It's what makes radio so special, it's a very personal medium and you feel like you know the people involved so only natural to feel like it extends beyond a three hour radio show.

I didn't get a chance to listen to them yesterday, but even if they do - it's still very little. A massive shame, I've always liked listening to the comments in between songs. This year it's mostly music R1 plays everyday and 2-3 songs from artist's set.
Also, there was no mash-up this year. I'm not sure if they ditched it last year or just now. Again, not a fan of that.

Oh yeah, I loved the mash up!

And unless I missed it, they didn't do a big "Radio 1's Big Weekend is now open" thing on air where they open the gates and sound a klaxon and let everyone in either.

Maybe it's because it's part of a wider BBC thing this year instead of a standalone Radio 1 event.

I’m hoping it’s because it’s a stand-alone event because I’ve not been that impressed this year. 

No live camera feed so we could watch the DJs as well as the performances, We’ve only got 2 or 3 songs per people’s sets, and there has been no big entrance like there used to be. 

Okay, so now they're playing Shawn Mendes live. Maybe it's really got to do sth with the probability of swearing from an artist.

It is a bit of a bummer this year in terms of acts as well. I didn't feel as hyped for this year as I did in previous years. They didn't get any big bands - which should have be an obvious booking for a festival. They got Bastille and put them on The Other Stage, no band on The Main Stage. Also this shuffling between stages is quite weird. Bastille used to play The Main Stage previously when the line-up was much busier. The Main Stage is so monotonous genre-wise, plenty of pop, scarcely any indie/rock/anything else.

Don't get me wrong, it's still great and all, just not up to the usual standard. 

[EDIT:] Forgot about Thirty Seconds to Mars and Years&Years. That's two then and still not closing any of the days so it's a bit different I suppose. 

Yaas for gender diversity, no for lack of genre diversity from me. And I'm not criticising any of the acts, all big names and all did very well, plus that's a matter of personal taste and you can't please everyone. It's just the repetitiveness that I dislike. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first Monday after Big Weekend when brekkie presenter didn't do their show from the location?

1 hour ago, Aleks_ said:

Yaas for gender diversity, no for lack of genre diversity from me. And I'm not criticising any of the acts, all big names and all did very well, plus that's a matter of personal taste and you can't please everyone. It's just the repetitiveness that I dislike. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first Monday after Big Weekend when brekkie presenter didn't do their show from the location?

Based on what I can work out from the descriptions on the schedules on the Radio 1 website, no, although this is partly guesswork.

2008: Chris Moyles, not sure where
2009: Scott, not sure where
2010: Chris Moyles, live from Bangor
2011: Chris Moyles, live from Cumbria
2012: Chris Moyles, Hackney Weekend so in the studio as normal
2013: Grimmy, live from Northern Ireland
2014: Grimmy, not sure where
2016: Grimmy, in the studio
2017: Grimmy, probably live from Hull (because Adele and Clara were that day)

Speaking of genre diversity, am I right in saying there was no In New Music We Trust/Where It Begins stage this year?

And one more thing: is there a video anywhere of Scott and Chris doing live Bangers on stage? It was just mentioned on air.