Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Schedule Changes

Dan18F1

4 hours ago, Lee E said:

Seems that way, also tomorrow at 7 Scott has "party anthems" which to me sounds more commercial bangers than the current dance format, maybe so he can throw some older classics in to compete with Heart Dance?

Would be interesed to see if he has had new jingles and sweepers done for this - feels like it could be more like his old "floorfillers" he used to do on Fridays after newsbeat being revived

Remember this is the first personalisation of the Friday driver show for him since he took over, because it has stayed the same format as Greg had since 2015 when he took the chart over - of course 1600-1745 has to be the chart then 1800-1900 is "Scott" for an hour

Would be interested to see if this persoinallisation is going towards Scott and Chris back on drive? and Grimmy out maybe? dreams can come true

Classics have been incorporated into the show for the past few weeks, so could be! I hope they don't change the type of music too much though, I think it's a great show as it is.

Would be surprised if there wasn't a new intro & jingles. Would seem silly to go to the effort of changing the show and not.

19 hours ago, Chris D said:

Classics have been incorporated into the show for the past few weeks, so could be! I hope they don't change the type of music too much though, I think it's a great show as it is.

Would be surprised if there wasn't a new intro & jingles. Would seem silly to go to the effort of changing the show and not.

Yeah I noticed classics on the 1800-1900 hour for Scott a bit, so could be going back to that floorfillers format of yesteryear

Should point out that there were 3 sets of Anthems today. (Not included the Party Anthems that Scott is doing) The first was at 3:30am-4:00am with Jordan doing a pre-recorded link and the rest of the show was just the songs, another at 8:30am-9:00am during Weekend Breakfast and another hour mix from 10am.

20 minutes ago, Darren m said:

If I was in charge of radio 1 I would have Jordan on Friday and sat mornings and arriele free on sundays 

I would put the regular weekday presenters back to be honest - rather Greg any day than M&M and rather Clara than Maya although that would leave us in a scenario where Grimmy got the chart and Party Anthems unless they left 1-4 and 4-7 same as now and gave Grimmy and Chris Stark Fridays off 

Also because of the weekend on Friday thing Adele looses half hour on an already "shorter" show than the other weekday presenters - I don't understand why Friday breakfast has to start at 6 because essentially it's the same slot as Greg so why can't it start at 0633 after Newsbeat like Greg does weird 

Also sounds silly when on Thursday M&M cover with Gregs jingles and beds and all then Friday it's totally different should still be Scott covering for Greg IMO 

See Dev and Alice are covering for Scott the week he is off - wonder if Stark will be with them that will be an interesting dynamic with three of them - I doubt Chris has more holiday as he only just had a week off where Scott was solo 

18 hours ago, TMD_24 said:

Charlie Hedges from the Rickie, Melvin and Charlie fame and who is also known for Club Charlie is covering Dance Anthems on the 20th July.

Sophie K is covering the Indie show on the 17th and 18th July as well next week.

Sophie K interesting, they seem to be alternating, because my thought was Abbie Mcarthy was a more mainstream, and carefully on target presenter to cover, but we’ll see.  Charlie covering dance anthems is good, should essentially be what Adele was doing, but more on target, and younger in terms of style.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:15 PM, Lee E said:

I would put the regular weekday presenters back to be honest - rather Greg any day than M&M and rather Clara than Maya although that would leave us in a scenario where Grimmy got the chart and Party Anthems unless they left 1-4 and 4-7 same as now and gave Grimmy and Chris Stark Fridays off 

Also because of the weekend on Friday thing Adele looses half hour on an already "shorter" show than the other weekday presenters - I don't understand why Friday breakfast has to start at 6 because essentially it's the same slot as Greg so why can't it start at 0633 after Newsbeat like Greg does weird 

Also sounds silly when on Thursday M&M cover with Gregs jingles and beds and all then Friday it's totally different should still be Scott covering for Greg IMO 

See Dev and Alice are covering for Scott the week he is off - wonder if Stark will be with them that will be an interesting dynamic with three of them - I doubt Chris has more holiday as he only just had a week off where Scott was solo 

There’s a logic in having 1-4 and 4-7 different on a Friday, 10-1 and breakfast changing is ratings suicide. There’s obviously a reason scott and Chris haven’t been first choice for deps this year, they still sound spot on for Radio 1, so it’s odd logic considering Matt and Mollie are hardly the exciting new talent.  I can’t imagine Stark with Dev and Alice, if that was the case you’d put just dev or just Alice with him, as has been done previously.  It would dilute the duo’s brand brand, so having a duo cover Scott means no stark.  The weekend/Friday logic is to have a unified schedule for Friday-Sunday, which for a multitude of evident and less evident reasons is not ideal, especially with Mornings, but that will be the 6am reason.  I think the less profile Adele has on the network is probably for the best, considering her style is very much for target for the target demo.

56 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

Sophie K interesting, they seem to be alternating, because my thought was Abbie Mcarthy was a more mainstream, and carefully on target presenter to cover, but we’ll see.  Charlie covering dance anthems is good, should essentially be what Adele was doing, but more on target, and younger in terms of style.

I can see Charlie as a future replacement for Jam on Dance Anthems actually the "club charlie" feature is great on Thursday at 2230 

She will be more on target and probably do some live mixing too 

55 minutes ago, Mike123 said:

There’s a logic in having 1-4 and 4-7 different on a Friday, 10-1 and breakfast changing is ratings suicide. There’s obviously a reason scott and Chris haven’t been first choice for deps this year, they still sound spot on for Radio 1, so it’s odd logic considering Matt and Mollie are hardly the exciting new talent.  I can’t imagine Stark with Dev and Alice, if that was the case you’d put just dev or just Alice with him, as has been done previously.  It would dilute the duo’s brand brand, so having a duo cover Scott means no stark.  The weekend/Friday logic is to have a unified schedule for Friday-Sunday, which for a multitude of evident and less evident reasons is not ideal, especially with Mornings, but that will be the 6am reason.  I think the less profile Adele has on the network is probably for the best, considering her style is very much for target for the target demo.

I cannot imagine why Scott is not dep anymore because he has always been, unless it's waiting an impending move to R2 so they had to get new deps for breakfast 

1 hour ago, Mike123 said:

Just saying I could see Chris leaving to join his new mate Peter Crouch for a new show/podcast on 5live

Also- interesting choice Charlie from Rickie Melvin and Charlie. She’ll be good as dance is her thing the other two like hip-hop more. I am suprised it’s not Arielle Free in but yeah should be good 

4 hours ago, Lee E said:

I cannot imagine why Scott is not dep anymore because he has always been, unless it's waiting an impending move to R2 so they had to get new deps for breakfast 

Things change, and you can’t have the same dep forever.  That being said, Scott and Chris together are a much stronger youth radio breakfast proposition, well targeted, clever features, and on target talking points, and the perfect about of content, rather than Matt and Mollie crashing in with their cheesy features/talking points and lack of content.  Radio 2, you never know.

4 hours ago, anothernerd said:

Just saying I could see Chris leaving to join his new mate Peter Crouch for a new show/podcast on 5live

Also- interesting choice Charlie from Rickie Melvin and Charlie. She’ll be good as dance is her thing the other two like hip-hop more. I am suprised it’s not Arielle Free in but yeah should be good 

Maybe a weekend show, and a podcast for sure.  That seems to be Stark’s future career path.  Arielle probably not quite as tight as Charlie for the format so in all senses Charlie should be perfect, it’s quite a commercial shift, reaches the biggest audience of any dance show, or something along those lines.

Few other changes happening in the next few weeks so thought I’ll post them here: 

• For the next two Fridays, Arielle is in for Adele.

• This Friday, Jordan is in for Scott on the chart.

• On Saturday, Charlie Hedges is in for Mistajam on Dance Anthems. 

• On Tuesday 30th, Charlie is off so it’s just Rickie and Melvin presenting their show. 

• on Thursday 2nd August, Alice is in for Grimmy! 

• Finally, on Friday 3rd and possibly over the rest of the weekend, Jordan is in for Matt and Dev is presenting solo! 

4 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Few other changes happening in the next few weeks so thought I’ll post them here: 

• On Tuesday 30th, Charlie is off so it’s just Rickie and Melvin presenting their show. 

• Finally, on Friday 3rd and possibly over the rest of the weekend, Jordan is in for Matt and Dev is presenting solo! 

Couple of weird things

- so I'm assuming they wanted to book Matt and Mollie to cover breakfast, but Matt wasn't available. I find it weird that they don't either get Mollie to do it solo, or failing that the logical thing to do would be go for someone else, Scott + Chris/Alice + Dev/Jordan solo etc. Why have someone covering a cover for a whole week? It's very weird. They clearly really don't want to have Scott covering because that would be the logical thing to do

- odd that Alice is covering without Dev, do we think this is a deliberate choice or Dev just wasn't available? On the Schedule as well it very confusingly says the show title "Jordan North" and describes it as Alice sits in for Grimmy... Who's doing this Scheduling?

- Also Jordan covering breakfast means he can't cover drive (which he seems to be first choice for these days), having to ask someone else who doesn't normally do it (Alice) to cover without her co-presenter? Idk it just seems like they've made some very odd choices

Just some thoughts... any opinions?

Screenshot_20190716-222135__01.jpg

I know that Jordan was supposed to be in for Grimmy on that day so that is probably why it’s like that on the schedule and then Greg bring off seems a quite last minute thing. I do find it weird the cover they have used though. I assume they didn’t want to use Scott as that would have meant that someone would then have to cover Scott’s Show all week as well. Does seem strange the way that it’s all been done though, it doesn’t seem like they are prepared for if more than two presenters are off at once. I’d say that’s the only downside of having Jordan cover everything when a situation like this occurs! 

16 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

Two Fridays off? Seems a bit odd? At that time of the morning especially 

20 hours ago, Fourcandles said:

Couple of weird things

- so I'm assuming they wanted to book Matt and Mollie to cover breakfast, but Matt wasn't available. I find it weird that they don't either get Mollie to do it solo, or failing that the logical thing to do would be go for someone else, Scott + Chris/Alice + Dev/Jordan solo etc. Why have someone covering a cover for a whole week? It's very weird. They clearly really don't want to have Scott covering because that would be the logical thing to do

- odd that Alice is covering without Dev, do we think this is a deliberate choice or Dev just wasn't available? On the Schedule as well it very confusingly says the show title "Jordan North" and describes it as Alice sits in for Grimmy... Who's doing this Scheduling?

- Also Jordan covering breakfast means he can't cover drive (which he seems to be first choice for these days), having to ask someone else who doesn't normally do it (Alice) to cover without her co-presenter? Idk it just seems like they've made some very odd choices

Just some thoughts... any opinions?

Screenshot_20190716-222135__01.jpg

I think they are trying out different presenters just to mix it up a bit. It's clear they are getting ready for Scott to leave as he is not being used anymore and him and Clara would be the consistency for the week. Also its Summer Holidays so it's who is available maybe. Maybe it became a bit stale as Scott on breakfast and Jordan on drive as cover so they are letting other less prominent presenters have a go at the prime slots.

As mentioned in the chat box there is a cluster amount of changes as we go into August as the schedules from the 2nd-8th August have updated with lots of information as Ibiza weekend means a lot of shuffles

• 2nd August is slightly different as Dev is solo and interestingly, although Scott is doing the chart, he is not doing Party Anthems and that is coming from Ibiza with Charlie Hedges covering instead
  • From the 3rd-4th August, Mollie King is solo on Weekend Breakfast
  • Dev and Alice are off on the 3rd-4th August so we get some unusual covers instead. On the 3rd, Harpz Kaur from the BBC Asian Network is covering and on the 4th August, Rickie, Melvin and Charlie are doing a show from Ibiza
  • Adele is out of her usual slot from the 4th-8th and with Arliee Free not available and Jordan covering Grimmy it means that Riyadh Khalaf is covering for Adele that week
  • Grimmy is also off from the 4th-8th so Jordan is covering Drive
  • Annie is also off from the 4th-8th so Phil Taggart covers for her instead
  • Rickie, Melvin & Charlie will also be off so Adele Roberts becomes the cover for that week.

So lots of Radio 1 presenters rested from Ibiza then which means cover is being found elsewhere.