Unofficial Mills

New Newsbeat Imaging - 2017

Ant L

So far so good - I'm liking. The lack of tagline is interesting. So unexpected as well - I remember the last time there were new news jingles we were waiting for weeks! What a lovely surprise!

I was just thinking after the Manchester attacks that the news bed REALLY didn't suit really sad serious news, this one is so much better. It has gravitas and a sense of severity, reminds me of the early 2000s Music4 stuff which was very good.

I also think the "one" instead of a full tagline is good, it makes it a bit more fluid - there's no need to time it so perfectly cause DJs can go early and talk either side of it. 

I really like it- sounds slick, modern and I agree it has more gravitas to it while also being "bouncy" and a good bed if that makes sense! It also flows better as a bulletin with the removal of the clunkier two beeps between headline and main news and between news and sport where the reader would have to pause for a few seconds- not anymore.

The intro has gone from "Digital, FM, Online. This is BBC Radio 1" to "Listen, Watch, Share. This is BBC Radio 1" to "This is BBC Radio 1" to now just "1". I do slightly miss the "This is BBC Radio 1" intro from the last package- it sounded official and it sounded great when the presenter timed the intro perfectly. Still like the new package though.

It is a bit funny that the week after Gemma Cairney leaves, they introduce a news jingle which isn't as obvious to crash! :D 

• 4 weeks later...

Not overly keen on this new theme. What was wrong with the 2015 one? Nothing, apart from the fact it had old voices on it. A clean cut version is on Soundcloud and must be floating around elsewhere, a simple edit to that with new voices would've worked fine. This one sounds very gameshow type of theme. I thought the 2015 one did at first.

The "One" thing is very on trend and not what I'd opt for. However, it does leave a nice echo and music after that for s few seconds. Unfortunately I'm constantly reminded of Grenfell Tower by this theme, as that tragedy happened only 2 days after this launched.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/07/2017 at 4:23 PM, OohErr said:

Sounds like it's just clips that have been taken from on-air - I haven't seen the originals knocking about online anywhere yet.

Yeah unfortunately just rips (but good ones none the less), a bit gutted Dan hasn't posted a demo yet, there's still time though! 

• 8 months later...
On 4/15/2018 at 5:02 PM, OohErr said:

Sadly not, but I'd LOVE one. Dan Mumford doesn't seem to update his website very often. Wonder if there's anyone at R1 that would leak it if you ask nicely on email?

Some one asked Ben Stones on twitter about it and he tagged Dan in seeing if he'd do something, but nothing as of yet...

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, SdoubleM said:

I can't believe that here is still no montage or anything out there. I would really love to listen to clear versions of the tunes

Me neither! Why does Dan Mumford hate the anoraks?

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

If there’s two Main new anchors you’d think there would be new imaging launching with the new breakfast and drive shows, no?

Nah, it's only been a year since they last changed it. Probably another year or two to go.

Scott’s chart show, 20th July into 5:45 Newsbeat has a decent quality recording with good listening volumes to it. I’m currently trying to find a iPlayer to mp3 ripper so if anyone knows of a decent one please let me know, it’s this show I want to rip and only has until Saturday before it disappears off iPlayer!

• 2 weeks later...

ATTENTION: It's not much but right at the end of the first 45 minutes of Greg and Clara's show today, they went to Newsbeat when they weren't supposed to, which means the clean headline bed is there for the taking.

Newsbeat was a total disaster today actually - it was abandoned and started again at 1pm.

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

ATTENTION: It's not much but right at the end of the first 45 minutes of Greg and Clara's show today, they went to Newsbeat when they weren't supposed to, which means the clean headline bed is there for the taking.

Newsbeat was a total disaster today actually - it was abandoned and started again at 1pm.

When it actually started, it was literally Nesta saying "so, who's your money on this lunchtime?" four consecutive times. Arguably the funniest thing I've ever heard on Newsbeat