Unofficial Mills

New Newsbeat Imaging - 2017

Ant L

1 hour ago, OohErr said:

Newsbeat was a total disaster today actually - it was abandoned and started again at 1pm.

Even at 1PM it was still a shambles, it’s as if Nesta couldn’t hear anything in his headphones. You can hear him tapping the mic and saying 1,2 over the start of a clip... oops! 

Trying to work out what happened. 1Xtra seemed to get some element of the news at 12:45 which cut away to music after the Thomas Cook report. The online schedules show Newsbeat at 13:00 but the recording starts at 12:45 (causing initial confusion when trying to piece this together!).

My theory is that at 12:45 both R1 and 1Xtra were due to fade up Newsbeat as usual. Radio 1's feed from Newsbeat failed (as they were on an OB) but it went out fine on 1X.

Nesta McGregor could hear the output of R1 (which didn't have him faded up) and not 1Xtra so he kept repeating his opening line assuming no-one could hear him.  1Xtra got the word to cut away from Newsbeat after the Thomas Cook report and re-join at 13:00 instead along with Radio 1.

• 4 weeks later...

2 mess ups today on Newsbeat...

• 8:30 this morning on R1 Breakfast with the headline bed 3 times.
  • 2:30 this afternoon on Scott’s show when Steve Holden wasn’t ready...Scott and Chris were trying to get to the bottom of what happened and I’m not actually sure what went wrong here.

After the mess up on 25th August and today’s errors, it got me thinking. Since Chris Smith left last month, has there been some changes behind the scenes as to who does what in Newsbeat? Things have gone from smooth to bumpy since then.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:59 PM, Ryan Pannell said:

2 mess ups today on Newsbeat...

• 8:30 this morning on R1 Breakfast with the headline bed 3 times.
  • 2:30 this afternoon on Scott’s show when Steve Holden wasn’t ready...Scott and Chris were trying to get to the bottom of what happened and I’m not actually sure what went wrong here.

After the mess up on 25th August and today’s errors, it got me thinking. Since Chris Smith left last month, has there been some changes behind the scenes as to who does what in Newsbeat? Things have gone from smooth to bumpy since then.

To be fair, it was nothing to do with Steve Holden. If you listen back to that bulletin on 1Xtra, he was there and did the news as normal. It was the R1 outside broadcast technical team that clearly messed up the link back to the Newsbeat studio in London.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...