Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Snap Election

Frermanian

It's actually quite an alright idea.

So on the show today, the idea was raised by Chris to have a snap election at Radio 1 to let the listeners decide where each presenter should go on the radio schedule, (following the stuff that happened this morning).

It's actually quite an intriguing point, and certainly something that could be discussed on these forums, because we've always chatted about who we personally want where in the schedule or who the big bosses at the BBC would like, but what do we think as a listener and nothing else?

Aside from thinking whether Jordan North deserves to be higher up the schedule (which he does) and thinking that Clara's technical side of things isn't as good as Alice's, or whatever, what do we think the Radio 1 listeners would choose?

1 hour ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

Scott and Chris for Breakfast I think most people would say.

Sent from my SM-A520F using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

don't think this would happen, because Scott would have been placed on Breakfast after Moyles left if he was going to, Grimmy is safe until 2019 at least unfortunately

more likely would be Alice Leviene or Adele Roberts I would say, but R1 looks pretty stable at the moment, with no shock "elections" or resignations likely, they have a pretty solid robust team, and any station - as demonstrated on R2, needs to keep continuity, so I think R1 will stay as it is for at least 2 to 4 years - remember the last massive shake up was 2012, when Moyles left and Mills and James were swapped three big changes in one year, that was too much IMO, I think a clue that something is happening is if someone like Alice starts covering Breakfast instead of Scott - which will be a sad day as he is a f***ing brilliant radio DJ in his own right - by far the BEST one R1 have

10 minutes ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

The changes are coming soon I'm sure of it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Maybe with the news that Capital is putting a 24yr old and a whole new crew on Breakfast, they will have to react, hopefully using Alice Levine to go up against him or maybe even Mills (here is hope - and there would be no competition)

Not completely related to this thread, but the sexism of Global, especially on Capital really pisses me off. Only 1 solo female DJ on the whole network schedule (Aimee Vivian), the woman always being secondary to the bloke in both presentation and billing on co-host shows (especially on Heart but it happens on Capital as well). But the formal name of the new breakfast show, to be hosted by Roman Kemp and Vick Hope is... Capital Breakfast with Roman Kemp. Not even a mention of her in the shows formal name, that goes on the website, the app, and all the marketing. Really irritates me. Can't imagine how pissed off she must be about it.

In terms of the Radio 1 snap election, I'd vote for Scott and Chris on breakfast any day of the week.

Loved the Radio 1 snap election idea! Definitely Scott and Chris on breakfast.

With the Capital Breakfast announcement, it's an expected gig for Roman Kemp. He suits Capital perfectly and his evening show is actually a good listen. Never heard Vick Hope so can't comment. Radio 1 don't make schedule decisions based on what Global are doing, though.

The point on women is interesting. LBC only has one woman on the weekday schedule, same for Capital, Radio X has zero. They definitely need to do more in promoting women and getting them on-air but it's not just Global, radio as a whole is very male-dominated. For a while, Radio 1 only had one woman in Fearne Cotton on the daytime schedule- it's improved now with Adele, Clara and Annie. Stations have gotten slightly better I think but the industry as a whole, not just Global, needs to do more in promoting women.

42 minutes ago, murste said:

The point on women is interesting. LBC only has one woman on the weekday schedule, same for Capital, Radio X has zero. They definitely need to do more in promoting women and getting them on-air but it's not just Global, radio as a whole is very male-dominated. For a while, Radio 1 only had one woman in Fearne Cotton on the daytime schedule- it's improved now with Adele, Clara and Annie. Stations have gotten slightly better I think but the industry as a whole, not just Global, needs to do more in promoting women.

Oh yeah, very true that women are underrepresented throughout the industry (at least the on air side of it) but it's quite another thing to actively exclude them from programme titles or make them subservient.

1 hour ago, Jacob_ said:

Just to add to this, Chris isn't in Scott's title on the usual show, maybe it's just a case of Roman being the more famous name so to get listeners they're like OMG FAMOUS NAME, PLASTER THE WALLS!

No, there's a difference. Scott and Chris aren't cohosts - Chris (and he'd probably say this himself) is very much subordinate to Scott and his role is to be Scott's sidekick. He's never had any previous radio experience and isn't really a broadcaster in his own right, and he's only there because of Scott. The partnership also developed organically, it wasn't a partnership created by management.

For the new Capital breakfast show, they've taken Vick Hope, who is a respected solo broadcaster in her own right, and paired her up with Roman specifically to be the lesser of the two, whilst airbrushing her from the show title. 

Also, Capital have a different naming convention to Radio 1 anyway, where they usually do name the whole team. It was "The Chris Moyles Show", not "The Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Chris, Dave, Dom, Tina, and Aled". Whereas on most Capital breakfast shows, they do name all the hosts - Capital Breakfast with Dave Berry and Lisa Snowdon/George and Lilah, Adam and Jojo, Rob and Katy, Dino and Pete, Will Manning and Aimee Vivian, Jono and Emma, etc etc. So there has been a conscious decision to exclude her name from the show title, and it's not the same as Chris not getting equal billing to Scott.