Unofficial Mills

Rylan Clark sitting in for Matt

thebeuter

2 hours ago, thebeuter said:

Just found out someone called Rylan Clark-Neal is going to sit in for Matt next Saturday. Who is that?

The Matt Edmondson Show - Rylan Clark-Neal sits in for Matt - @BBCR1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08lg05m

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Haha he's everywhere on TV in the UK- does Big Brother's Bit on the Side, did Xtra Factor last year, does showbiz slots on This Morning, has his own chat show on Channel 5. Don't think he's ever done radio before though- very strange booking.

Haha he's everywhere on TV in the UK- does Big Brother's Bit on the Side, did Xtra Factor last year, does showbiz slots on This Morning, has his own chat show on Channel 5. Don't think he's ever done radio before though- very strange booking.

Oops. As from Germany, I'm not really familiar with British TV [emoji23]

Well... Let's give him a chance!

I've heard something that Matt was involved with the Xtra-Factor as well, maybe the booking went that way.

It's probably a one off, to save Matt doing 16 days on the trot, as things are he did his regular slot this weekend, followed by five of Scotts this week

Suspect he will not be driving the desk, just talking into the microphone, with someone else driving

What would have been better would be for Scott to have done Matts middle weekend maybe, or someone like Greg James, Clara or Adele make a rare weekend appearance

Assume 1st choice failing those would have been Fearne Cotton or Sara Cox, as a stand in with previous R1 experience, maybe to cover Matts shows, but shes doing Ken Bruce's slot on R2, and Coxy is covering for Evans for two weeks

One last Idea, my Rylan avoidance scheme would be to extend Dev by 90 mins - until 1130 and start Alice at 1130 to plug the gap, or add an hour to Dev until 11 get Alice to do 11-3 and Danny 3-7 something along those lines

In the good old days of Moyles he would have covered those slots at the weekend had they been going, am I right in saying he did his own breakfast show one day and then the 1-4 show on same day?

35 minutes ago, Lee E said:

It's probably a one off, to save Matt doing 16 days on the trot, as things are he did his regular slot this weekend, followed by five of Scotts this week

Suspect he will not be driving the desk, just talking into the microphone, with someone else driving

What would have been better would be for Scott to have done Matts middle weekend maybe, or someone like Greg James, Clara or Adele make a rare weekend appearance

Assume 1st choice failing those would have been Fearne Cotton or Sara Cox, as a stand in with previous R1 experience, maybe to cover Matts shows, but shes doing Ken Bruce's slot on R2, and Coxy is covering for Evans for two weeks

One last Idea, my Rylan avoidance scheme would be to extend Dev by 90 mins - until 1130 and start Alice at 1130 to plug the gap, or add an hour to Dev until 11 get Alice to do 11-3 and Danny 3-7 something along those lines

In the good old days of Moyles he would have covered those slots at the weekend had they been going, am I right in saying he did his own breakfast show one day and then the 1-4 show on same day?

I wouldn't want to spoil all your elaborate cover scenarios, but... Jordan North?

I think that booking was made because Matt and Rylan know each other from the Extra-Factor. Maybe he wanted to do some Radio.

23 hours ago, Lee E said:

Sorry but none of this would ever be likely. A general rule is that the main daytime presenters never cover weekends. Scott, Greg or Clara wouldn't even be in the picture to cover Matt's weekend show- Jordan North, Yasser, Nick Bright or Adele are the main weekend covers. It was different with Scott and the chart on Sunday because that was a big flagship show for the station. 

Fearne Cotton and Sara Cox left Radio 1 so 100% no.

The extending of hours would disrupt the whole schedule and doubt Dev or Alice would agree to it unless it was an emergency.

You're right that Moyles did the breakfast show one day and then came back to cover Greg James at 1pm. One of my all-time favourite R1 moments- hilarious and such a surprise. It was a complete one-off and very last minute iirc but loved it- maybe someone has it and can attach a link here or it's on the archive somewhere?

9 hours ago, thebeuter said:

I think that booking was made because Matt and Rylan know each other from the Extra-Factor. Maybe he wanted to do some Radio.

This would be completely irrelevant to the decision I'd imagine. They worked together for a few months on ITV on the TV- still can't get my head around the decision to get Rylan to cover. So many other options, not a very "Radio 1 name" and he won't know the basics of radio presenting. Chris Cook and the AP are probably in for a nightmare 3 hours!

I wonder whether he's driving the desk himself - he's too loud but the bed is too low. Gotta say his voice really grates at this time of day (or any time of day). I'm just waiting for him to screw up the news, any minute now. Pretty sure he's already messed up the backtiming. (Although to be fair to him Dev was THREE minutes over today. Quite unlike him.)

On 08/04/2017 at 3:48 PM, thebeuter said:

How did you like the way he presented?

And do you think he's going to do that more often soon?

Can't help but feel that slot should be a more magazine-style show. Ain't cutting it for me with the drivelling long, winding, loud links. I'd suggest Rylan and Matt doing it together (not like I'd listen to that carcrash radio) if R1 is going for this angle. Whatever angle that is. 

On 4/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, Lee E said:

I remember that show that Moyles did - I wouldn't exactly say that "in the olden days Moyles would have covered it". It was a complete one off and remember Chris joking that he was something like 7th to be asked!

On 10/04/2017 at 11:36 AM, thebeuter said:

I don't agree with you there. I found him very good. He seemed sympathetic, the friendly guy I want on weekend radio.

Agree, I thought he was a good listen and sounded a good weekend deputy for that show. Sure he wasn't perfect but for a first attempt it wasn't bad. Would listen again.