Unofficial Mills

The new chart style

gjquestion123

21 hours ago, forde52 said:

I think gjquestion123 means they used to still play the top 40 but in montage form, where as now they just play a selection in full before the Top 10

Yup, that was my fingers typing wrong there. There is something grating about just having a list of song titles. They could at least play the skipped songs in 'montage form'/

Being a chart man i disliked the way Greg did it before.

it doesn't help there's a limited time slot now, But if it were me I'd do it like Wes off of 2003. The top 40 used to be the last 2 hours of the chart show (the first covered last weeks number one, album chart and any competitions that were happening) when he did it and that was done in montage but playing new entries and random tracks in full till he got to the top 10 which was then in full.

• 3 weeks later...
Totally agree, one of the most important shows on the station squished into the smallest slot. Get rid of or delay dance anthems or the news and go through the whole chart like the Jameela Jamil days.

Maybe Newsbeat could be squeezed in at 4, then the Chart Show from 4:15 through until 7, then Danny Howard, which is nothing else than Dance Anthems (he's the guy that does it on Saturdays anyway) and Friday night Dance Anthems can be scrapped anyway, Greg James is not the guy for that.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

5 hours ago, thebeuter said:

Maybe Newsbeat could be squeezed in at 4, then the Chart Show from 4:15 through until 7, then Danny Howard, which is nothing else than Dance Anthems (he's the guy that does it on Saturdays anyway) and Friday night Dance Anthems can be scrapped anyway, Greg James is not the guy for that.

Or move newsbeat to 7 and have Danny Howard playing dance anthems until 8 then a more free variety from 8.

I actually like it the way it is. Sorry to say but the chart has become pretty much irrelevant for me and I suspect many others nowadays. It just doesn't have the same buzz or excitement it used to. I also think streaming being included has devalued the number 1- we've only had 2 number 1s in 3 months or something (Shape of You and Rockabye)- boring. 

Radio-wise, I miss Greg's normal Friday show. I'd much rather have Feet Up Friday back than listen to the chart. I also love Dance Anthems and tune in especially for that at 6- great show, sounds huge and is perfect for the weekend. That slot has traditionally been like that too (Ready for the Weekend and Floorfillers with Scott (whoooo)). I suggested it at the time and I'd favour it moving to Clara's slot, it gets nearly 3 hours like before but doesn't clog up one of the main personality shows. Greg's one of the best Chart presenters but I feel he's wasted doing it- Clara was good and a huge upgrade on Jameela in the time she did it on Sundays. I do miss the Reggie Yates Sunday 4pm days though if I'm honest- the chart belongs there and Reggie was perfect as a presenter (and Scott used to be the main cover which was always a nice surprise on a Sunday). Anyway, times have changed

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, bensteele said:

I think that the chart shouldn't have moved from Sunday in the first place. 

Disagree here, we were behind the rest of the world with the chart - with songs being released on Fridays/Saturdays, meaning they'd be part of the UK chart on the Sunday yet would place low as only being around for a few hours, thus not reaching their possible potential. Moving the chart to a Friday is better for artists, and allows for a more accurate representation of their album sales in the chart - it therefore makes it more interesting for the listeners too. 

I do agree however that it was better for programming when it was on a Sunday, and it's definitely a shame to have lost Greg's Friday show; the chart is bigger than Radio 1 however, and they have to move for the chart and the music industry, not the other way round.

Disagree here, we were behind the rest of the world with the chart - with songs being released on Fridays/Saturdays, meaning they'd be part of the UK chart on the Sunday yet would place low as only being around for a few hours, thus not reaching their possible potential. Moving the chart to a Friday is better for artists, and allows for a more accurate representation of their album sales in the chart - it therefore makes it more interesting for the listeners too. 
I do agree however that it was better for programming when it was on a Sunday, and it's definitely a shame to have lost Greg's Friday show; the chart is bigger than Radio 1 however, and they have to move for the chart and the music industry, not the other way round.

Maybe Clara could do the chart in the mornings. I know that it's released at 4 pm, but maybe the OC company could change something there.

2 minutes ago, thebeuter said:

Maybe Clara could do the chart in the mornings. I know that it's released at 4 pm, but maybe the OC company could change something there.

This has been done before (Christmas last year), but doubt the OCC would agree to it, they want a prime time slot; also they'd have to turn the data around fast, and R1 would have to turn it around even faster to get it on air and produced to a decent standard! Although from our perspective it makes some sense, I can't see R1 or OCC ever going for it.