Unofficial Mills

Clean versions of songs

matthewm192

A few questions about this. First of all how do they clean songs? Somehow it seems that the vocal track is isolated and cut out while the music still plays. Do they have special versions of songs given to them where they can see each instrument and mute or mix as appropriate or is there an easier way of doing it.

Second, how do they decide what standards to use, like what words aren't acceptable for air. 'Sexual' being turned to 'Sensual' seems petty when other radio stations use the original, and R1 have no problem with blasting the word 'bitch' out on that Pink! song - so is there a way of determining what's fit?

Finally, on the 10 minute takeover, Ian often talks about songs being in the wrong place on the system... Does this mean they play explicit versions of songs after watershed and keep the files in a separate system, or is that just a case of other songs never having been played and hence not yet having approval for air?

Radio 1 are a different ball game to commercial radio, which is seen with sexual being turned to sensual (but no idea where they source that kind of edit though) Most of the muted swear words are added by the promo companies and record labels, we have some email us for the community station I work at, they prove the original track and a clean radio edit, from what I can tell all these radio edits sound the same so if it's deemed ok by the music team they'll just use the version sent to them like we do. 

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

• 2 months later...
Radio 1 are a different ball game to commercial radio, which is seen with sexual being turned to sensual (but no idea where they source that kind of edit though) Most of the muted swear words are added by the promo companies and record labels, we have some email us for the community station I work at, they prove the original track and a clean radio edit, from what I can tell all these radio edits sound the same so if it's deemed ok by the music team they'll just use the version sent to them like we do. 

I once loved a remix by WestFunk but I couldn't find a clean version to play on the radio, so I emailed him, he sent me a clean radio version and a not so clean club version (I played the club version and censored it myself because the radio version was rubbish quality), that's how it might work for Radio 1.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app