Unofficial Mills

All-new Nick Grimshaw Imaging Dropped

bensteele

Woke up this morning to a very different intro to the Radio 1 Breakfast Show - Radio 1 have outsourced a Breakfast Show audio rebrand. Most of the idents are longer and feature excerpts that "encapsulate Grimmy's personality" (i.e. laughter, quips from guests) with the typical song excerpts you'd expect that either are popp-y or have something to do with breakfast.

Also new beds (that WiseBuddah 2015 revamp was a real waste of time and money!) for his TOTH (and BOTH), and it looks like the new format features Clara-style "the next three songs you'll hear are.." at the top and bottom of every hour.

The company responsible are Contraband Media, who have done stuff for Magic and Virgin in the past. You can hear the package here >> 

The full rebrand was never mentioned on air, but made it to RadioToday. http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/11/new-breakfast-show-imaging-for-nick-grimshaw/ 

It's certainly given the breakfast show that little spice we were talking about, helped Nick focus his links and features have been introduced too. Only criticism would be that I think it sounds a little too much like Kiss and is almost certainly a bit full-on for a breakfast show. 

Radio 1 is on fire recently with imaging. First Cel's new shows, now this! :wub:

This is a thousand times better than the old imaging, the old breakfast show imaging sounded very old-deers like and didn't sound like something that should be sounded on a breakfast show. Some new ID's creeping in as well which is giving a further teaser into the new main imaging.

The production is fairly epic on this package. I agree with the above - the previous breakfast show imaging was lacklustre to say the least, especially when the Wise Buddah orchestral theme was dropped (perhaps the contract to use it expired...?).

In the best possible way it is all a bit KISS or Capital but for a while they've sounded much slicker than R1 so it's no bad thing. Excellent effort.

1 hour ago, TMD_24 said:

One thing I'm questioning is whether Scott will get these type of imaging when Grimmy is off, I hope he's not stuck with the boring, dull sounds.

That might explain why he didn't use his show opener the other week when he was in, ready for this transition?

13 hours ago, WELOVEMOYLESPART2 said:

When does Greg's contract expire?

Greg's cited to have said in 2014 that he's had his contract extended "by a few years", so by that I'd imagine it's up for review either at the end of next year or the year after. http://www.digitalspy.com/media/news/a559241/greg-james-radio-1-contract-extended-for-next-few-years/

What are you implying by this? Are you hopeful he'll get the breakfast slot?

Alright. I've listened to all of them.
First: it's a bit too full on. Imagine waking up hearing that. Your day starts the way you want it to end. It's too clubby for a breakfast show.
Second: it reminds me of that "this is heart" stuff for the other station that rhymes with Weart (WHOOO?). That private station feeling is just not what I want to hear at Radio 1!
Third: It sounds a bit like they're trying to be Dance Anthems.
Fourth: That opener is the worst! While the old one gave you energy for the day (by the way it was best very loud), this one seems completely out of place and when The Breakfastshaw starts talking it seems even more out of place.
In a nutshell (WHOOO?!), it's bad and seems like trying to be some other show like Dance Anthems or Annie Mac's Friday Night, but it's not.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

Yet again Radio 1 have shot themselves in the foot. With the constant messy selection of old and new power intros played throughout the day with the 2014 package, this has now added further fuel to the fire. It sounds completely awful and yes, definitely like Kiss or Capital.

I cannot believe they have ditched the Wise Buddah theme for this tosh, especially as the BBC philharmonic orchestra helped to compose the theme. That branding was fine, it was at its best when it first started out in 2012.

Like many, I can't wonder how long Grimmy's got left. A part of me wishes he'd go now, if he's thinking he can match Moyles' 8 years he can think again, as Moyles is probably sitting at Radio X laughing his head off with Dom, discussing this on-air on early mornings!

"Youre listening to Grimmy, Grimmy, Grimmy." Yes we know.

Yet again Radio 1 have shot themselves in the foot. With the constant messy selection of old and new power intros played throughout the day with the 2014 package, this has now added further fuel to the fire. It sounds completely awful and yes, definitely like Kiss or Capital.
I cannot believe they have ditched the Wise Buddah theme for this tosh, especially as the BBC philharmonic orchestra helped to compose the theme. That branding was fine, it was at its best when it first started out in 2012.
Like many, I can't wonder how long Grimmy's got left. A part of me wishes he'd go now, if he's thinking he can match Moyles' 8 years he can think again, as Moyles is probably sitting at Radio X laughing his head off with Dom, discussing this on-air on early mornings!
"Youre listening to Grimmy, Grimmy, Grimmy." Yes we know.

Well, it's a cheap imaging, every apprentice could have done in 5 minutes. Maybe he wanted something new but the bosses know more about the Breakfastshaws future than we do...

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

16 hours ago, TMD_24 said:

2 new idents that wasn't in the original demo have dropped this week. (I think it was Thursday when these new idents dropped)

Great as always. 8)

I think the issue with this package is that it sounds far too generic and like it could have been slapped together in Audacity. It could even be a template. The big mash up of sound effects and punchy noises is genuinely too confusing in the morning, and it's not distancing itself enough from commercial breakfast radio anymore. 

The Breakfast Show only has one feature now, and many commercial shows are similar. I think it either needs to be really tight or quite loose, not halfway inbetween. 

I'm switching to Radio X.

I think the issue with this package is that it sounds far too generic and like it could have been slapped together in Audacity. It could even be a template. The big mash up of sound effects and punchy noises is genuinely too confusing in the morning, and it's not distancing itself enough from commercial breakfast radio anymore. 
The Breakfast Show only has one feature now, and many commercial shows are similar. I think it either needs to be really tight or quite loose, not halfway inbetween. 
I'm switching to Radio X.

I think it says something is seriously wrong when the one guy on this site that defends Grimshaw has given up on him!

5 hours ago, matthewm192 said:

I think it says something is seriously wrong when the one guy on this site that defends Grimshaw has given up on him!

I still stand by the fact that the show sounded pretty fresh and fun in 2012 and 2013, but since Fincham's departure, I feel it's gone on a downward trajectory. 

However, saying that, Moyles' Radio X show is really quite poor. The "half hour chat" is full of pauses, erms and boring bits. It's also always very Chris-centric. I listened this morning and in fairness it's the first time I've properly laughed twice at the radio in ages, but it just all sounded a bit unnecessarily drawn out. And naff imaging. Everything feels redundant. 

I still stand by the fact that the show sounded pretty fresh and fun in 2012 and 2013, but since Fincham's departure, I feel it's gone on a downward trajectory. 
However, saying that, Moyles' Radio X show is really quite poor. The "half hour chat" is full of pauses, erms and boring bits. It's also always very Chris-centric. I listened this morning and in fairness it's the first time I've properly laughed twice at the radio in ages, but it just all sounded a bit unnecessarily drawn out. And naff imaging. Everything feels redundant. 

I don't want to be the one that says it - but I think radio is slowly dying. There's just not the investment anymore, be it in money or skills - unless R1 come up with some fresh ideas I think that too many people will be lost to downloads and streaming; which sadly could ultimately result in the end of R1 forever [emoji22]

• 3 weeks later...

Scott's on the breakfast show all next week - which means we get to find out whether they've made a version of the new imaging for him. I hope they have, and it features the phrase "the Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Scott Mills" followed by a clip of Scott giving a massive "WHOoooOOOOooo". 

4 hours ago, OohErr said:

Scott's on the breakfast show all next week - which means we get to find out whether they've made a version of the new imaging for him. I hope they have, and it features the phrase "the Radio 1 Breakfast Show with Scott Mills" followed by a clip of Scott giving a massive "WHOoooOOOOooo". 

My bet would be that it'd be a generic "The Radio 1 Breakfast Show". Would be a little odd if they didn't.