Unofficial Mills

Mistajam and Danny Howard to cover for Annie Mac from January

Jono

BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra controller Ben Cooper has revealed that MistaJam will cover Annie Mac’s 7-9pm weekday new music show on Radio 1 when she takes her maternity leave in January 2017, at the MUSEXPO Europe conference in London...

Danny Howard will cover Mac’s Friday night 7-10pm Radio 1 dance show. Since his first DJ set at Radio 1 in Ibiza in 2011, Howard has become a key member of the Radio 1 dance family, becoming the host of Radio 1’s Dance Anthems (Saturdays, 4-7pm) in April 2012.

Meanwhile, DJ Target will stand in for MistaJam, hosting 1Xtra’s 7-10pm Monday-Thursday new music show. Target currently hosts 1Xtra’s 7-10pm Friday night show, a 1Xtra Homegrown new music show, Sundays, 4-7pm, and presents Radio 1 and 1Xtra's 1-4am simulcast Saturday night into Sunday morning show.

MistaJam, Danny Howard and DJ Target will continue to host their other shows on the stations.

MistaJam said: "Having grown up listening to the show since the days of it being the Evening Session, I feel honoured to be given the opportunity to look after 7-9pm on BBC Radio 1. While Annie's off bringing new life into the world, I'm really excited to be able to share my passion for exciting new music regardless of genre with the Radio 1 audience."Cooper commented: “You need to tune in or search online as these DJs' energy and enthusiasm at a festival, in the club or on the radio just makes you smile.”

Source: http://www.musicweek.com/media/read/mistajam-replaces-annie-mac-on-bbc-radio-1-new-phone-first-playlists-launched/065979

Surprised with the choice of Mistajam but I'll admit I don't listen to his show. I have liked what I've heard of him in the past, though, so hopefully he has the breadth of musical knowledge and interest in as many genres as Annie clearly does. 

I imagine Phil Taggart will be pretty disappointed. Huw would've been the obvious candidate to sit in for Annie and he probably thought he'd get the 10pm show for that period. Radio 1 don't seem to have an awful lot of faith in him.

Pleased with the choice of Danny Howard- he's grown into a really good presenter and has fantastic knowledge of that genre. I thought B Traits did a great job when she covered the Friday night show last time Annie was on maternity leave and enjoy her whenever she covers so slightly disappointed she didn't get it but Danny will be a really good listen, I'd say.

4 hours ago, murste said:

I imagine Phil Taggart will be pretty disappointed. Huw would've been the obvious candidate to sit in for Annie and he probably thought he'd get the 10pm show for that period. Radio 1 don't seem to have an awful lot of faith in him.

Oh poor Phil! I really feel for him - very cruel how he was given quite a big slot when he first got his break, and then has been consistently and repeatedly sidelined ever since, whilst his former cohost goes on to bigger and better things. I don't see what R1 have against him - I always enjoyed what I heard of him, particularly when they used to get him to cover Matt Edmondson at the weekends. Very underrated, not very well treated, shame.

• 5 months later...

She said on Twitter she'll be back in "a few months" so I'd say May is more likely, possibly just before Big Weekend.

Looking forward to her being back, I wonder where Mistajam will go- the original press release didn't indicate he'd be going back to his 1Xtra show so R1 would then have to find a slot for him. Really hope it doesn't mean Phil Taggart being dropped. Maybe Thursday 9pm replacing the Artist Takeover and Sunday 7pm with the Rock Show moving to Thursday 10pm?

She said on Twitter she'll be back in "a few months" so I'd say May is more likely, possibly just before Big Weekend.
Looking forward to her being back, I wonder where Mistajam will go- the original press release didn't indicate he'd be going back to his 1Xtra show so R1 would then have to find a slot for him. Really hope it doesn't mean Phil Taggart being dropped. Maybe Thursday 9pm replacing the Artist Takeover and Sunday 7pm with the Rock Show moving to Thursday 10pm?

I think it will all get back to normal

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

5 hours ago, murste said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Phils off, the whole Sunday evening is pretty underlistened to, but I'd like to see Annie go back to dance, I prefer Jam on in the evening, much more energy!! 

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

1 hour ago, Jacob_ said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Phils off, the whole Sunday evening is pretty underlistened to, but I'd like to see Annie go back to dance, I prefer Jam on in the evening, much more energy!! 

Phil's show is one of my favourites on the station- amazing chilled music, so perfect for a Sunday night. Was so disappointed when Annie left that show but pleased that it's continued in the same style. Hope he stays there.

Can't agree with you there- Annie has taken to the weekday show like a natural, one of my favourite presenters on the station, great personality and knowledge. Has a broader musical knowledge than MistaJam from my point of view. Looking forward to her being back.

Phil's show is one of my favourites on the station- amazing chilled music, so perfect for a Sunday night. Was so disappointed when Annie left that show but pleased that it's continued in the same style. Hope he stays there.
Can't agree with you there- Annie has taken to the weekday show like a natural, one of my favourite presenters on the station, great personality and knowledge. Has a broader musical knowledge than MistaJam from my point of view. Looking forward to her being back.

I completely agree with you there. Annie is a much better broadcaster than Jam, but Jam is not bad. He can get back to 1Xtra.

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app