Unofficial Mills

Will there be a schedule shakeup in September?

Jono

With the news that Radio 1 has lost a million listeners each week, it makes me think we're likely to see a bit of a shakeup in the coming months. I would have thought with Radio 1 struggling to reach its target audience, this puts Scott in a good position for remaining with the station a little longer too. 

Can you imagine any changes taking place this Autumn, if so what do you think might happen?

I think there has to be a change on Breakfast for starters, losing Moyles was a big blow and Radio 1 haven't really recovered since. Sadly there's nobody at Radio 1 in the wings right now to grab the bull by the horns and take things back like he did in 2003 after Sara Cox.

on the grid.

I know we're all rather biased being on a Scott Mills forum, but I do feel breakfast feels so much stronger with Scott and Chris.

Nick is a solid presenter but I think the show just feels a bit stale at the moment. Features are fairly limited - at the start you had the likes of Call or Delete, Showquizness and even Happy Hardcore FM. The Nixtape is still on but seems to have been cut back to half an hour (correct me if I'm wrong).

Whenever Scott and Chris cover breakfast it actually feels more natural - less forced. It's funnier - they bounce off one another and it all just feels much slicker. You have some degree of interaction between Nick and Fiona but I think moving away from the zoo format of Moyles has weakened the show. When Scott and Chris are on that spark comes back.

As far as the rest of the lineup is concerned there's no daytime changes I would make, other than swapping Clara and Alice.

I know we're all rather biased being on a Scott Mills forum, but I do feel breakfast feels so much stronger with Scott and Chris.

Nick is a solid presenter but I think the show just feels a bit stale at the moment. Features are fairly limited - at the start you had the likes of Call or Delete, Showquizness and even Happy Hardcore FM. The Nixtape is still on but seems to have been cut back to half an hour (correct me if I'm wrong).

Whenever Scott and Chris cover breakfast it actually feels more natural - less forced. It's funnier - they bounce off one another and it all just feels much slicker. You have some degree of interaction between Nick and Fiona but I think moving away from the zoo format of Moyles has weakened the show. When Scott and Chris are on that spark comes back.

As far as the rest of the lineup is concerned there's no daytime changes I would make, other than swapping Clara and Alice.

Completely agree!

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

15 hours ago, Ant L said:

Completely agree with all of that. If I was to predict, I'd say we're nearing the time for Greg to have his time on breakfast. We know he's Ben Cooper's golden boy and is, in my opinion, the second best presenter on the station after Scott. He is 31 now I think so giving him breakfast would allow him to have 5 or 6 years there before nearing the black hole of 40. I've never been much of a fan of Nick and don't regularly listen to the show apart from the Nixtape (which gets moved around and dropped so much it's hard to keep up). I still think R1 made a mistake not moving Greg to breakfast when he had Pippa and Travis as his producers- the show sounded was the best it has ever been IMO and they had great on-air chemistry. A Greg/Chris Smith double-act on breakfast would be brilliant. Time for a change.

As much as I'd love Scott & Chris to get breakfast, it won't happen and actually, I get to listen to loads of the show live in the afternoon and they have really made that slot into something brilliant- it's just perfect afternoon radio and they suit it so well. Agree the breakfast show has a spark when they're on- naturally funny banter, it flows so well, great mix of content etc. 

If there were to be any changes, I think it could only be promotions for Alice Levine or Jordan North. Alice is one of the most naturally witty and hilarious presenters on the station- she's a real star and after the ridiculous decision to give Clara the 10am show over her. I get the feeling R1 have bigger things in mind such as replacing Scott when he goes or if Greg does go to breakfast, perhaps Alice taking over Drivetime. Jordan North seems to have become No.1 sub on early breakfast and for Matt at weekends. Not sure if he would have left Rock FM for the odd bit of R1 cover and he mentioned a "once in a lifetime opportunity that I'd never forgive myself for if I turned it down" so maybe Jordan to take over weekend afternoons? 

So Greg to breakfast, Alice to Drive and Jordan to weekend afternoons. Pretty major changes if they happened but that's my speculation!

That won't happen. As much as I don't see how Danny's show is actually "Dance Anthems" when it's loads of fresh and mostly unreleased new dance music. Unlike Dave Pearce's version which was well established dance tracks that everyone knew.

Radio 1 has always had a dance show in that time for years. Remember, Judge Jules used to be there from the late 90's into the early 2000's, and then moved to 7-9 on a Saturday night. It is at the perfect time as people are getting ready to go out.

I do think Danny's show needs to be renamed though as it's a bit misleading with loads of upfront tunes. Maybe bring in a new presenter and put Dance Anthems on a Sunday evening, playing erm dance anthems. Where it always should of been.

on the grid.

Back in 2012, when Moyles left, everyone (myself included) thought Scott had lost his chance for breakfast and was set to see out his R1 career on afternoons and leave at the end of his contract in 2015. However, I think that chance may just be reappearing - Grimmy's been doing breakfast four years in September which is a decent stint anyway, and Scott's show is sounding the youngest on the station - I genuinely think he might be a contender for breakfast again.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, murste said:

I'd say we're nearing the time for Greg to have his time on breakfast. We know he's Ben Cooper's golden boy and is, in my opinion, the second best presenter on the station after Scott. He is 31 now I think so giving him breakfast would allow him to have 5 or 6 years there before nearing the black hole of 40.

I still think R1 made a mistake not moving Greg to breakfast when he had Pippa and Travis as his producers- the show sounded was the best it has ever been IMO and they had great on-air chemistry. A Greg/Chris Smith double-act on breakfast would be brilliant. Time for a change.

I also thought that the team of Greg, Chris, Pippa and Travis was perfect, and the best his show has ever sounded - however, I think Ben Cooper split that up on purpose, and forced the reduction of Chris Smith's role as well. His show was sounding brilliant, but the problem was it sounded a lot like... The Chris Moyles Show. My theory is that BC thought the show was sounding too 'old', so shook things up. I'm feeling that Greg may be eternally trapped on drivetime, and they pass him over for someone new and unexpected as they did with Moyles/Grimmy.

As to what they do with Jordan North, that's an interesting one - I can simultaneously see nowhere, and several places he could go. I think Adele should never have got early breakfast and he should've got it a year ago (him or Pete Allison or someone) - but now she's on and seems to be doing alright, I doubt they'd take her off so soon. I also don't see a future for her beyond early breakfast either. The other place that new presenters are traditionally tried out is weekend breakfast. I really like Dev and think his show is sounding really good at the moment, but he's been at Radio 1 for 7 years and R1/1Xtra for 14 - I think his chances of getting a daytime gig have sadly evaporated and BC might decide that it's his time to go. That would be a terrible shame, but it could happen.

I think my preferred scenario would be the following - Scott to breakfast (or Greg, I don't mind either way but I listen to The Chris Moyles Show anyway so Scott's daily podcasts would be better for my convenience haha), Alice to Scott's Show/Matt to Greg's show, and Jordan to Matt/Alice's show.

In the long term, there's loads of quite good people on commercial radio R1 should sign up - there's a guy called Danny Mylo on Pulse 1 in Yorkshire and also on Virgin at weekends - he's meant to be very good, managed by Hirsty, mates with Moyles and meant to be the next up and coming thing in radio. Will Manning started on Capital London drive recently - he's genuinely really good. His style reminds me a lot of Scott Mills actually, and despite being on Capital he actually has personality and features. I wasn't keen at the time, but Pete Alisson's grown on me as well - shame he never got a R1 gig, maybe one day he will after all.

On 8/5/2016 at 9:56 AM, murste said:

Completely agree with all of that. If I was to predict, I'd say we're nearing the time for Greg to have his time on breakfast...

So Greg to breakfast, Alice to Drive and Jordan to weekend afternoons. Pretty major changes if they happened but that's my speculation!

Would agree that it does seem logical Greg could be nearer to taking breakfast now. Although I'd quite like to see Scott back on drivetime! I think that's incredibly optimistic of me giving their strategy to reduce the average age of listeners, but if they were to start chasing ratings that would be a winning formula.

I think Dance Anthems is perfect for the time-slot it's in now. Although it's maybe situated a bit early for those getting ready to go out it's a lot better than a generic show in that slot. Danny Howard is fantastic and would be a suitable replacement should, and god forbid, Pete Tong decides to call it a day. Having the Request Show there back in the Fearne and Reggie days just sounded off.

As for Greg on breakfast and Alice on drive, I actually like the sound of that. Or maybe Greg AND Alice on breakfast - they've already proven they work great as pair on the Brits coverage.

On 04/08/2016 at 4:06 PM, Jono said:

With the news that Radio 1 has lost a million listeners each week, it makes me think we're likely to see a bit of a shakeup in the coming months. I would have thought with Radio 1 struggling to reach its target audience, this puts Scott in a good position for remaining with the station a little longer too. 

Can you imagine any changes taking place this Autumn, if so what do you think might happen?

It was surprising to hear about another fall in the listening figures. However, I don't think there will be any changes to the daytime schedule by the autumn as they wouldn't make changes based on this one fall.

Lately I feel Grimmy has reached the end of his breakfast show time. I'll give it another year or so before I think he'll be moved on. The ditching of his main opener theme is a cry wolf of desperation and the recent introduction of "2p or not 2p" is a good game, but so old, dated and simple - something I'd expect to hear on Capital Gold! Scott and Chris really do liven up the show when they sit in for him but I feel even that's weakened slightly over the years, nonetheless it's still entertaining.

So Mills...yeah, what a legend. Especially after that M3 bridge dedication. He's definitely the best presenter and best entertainment provided on R1 during the day. Sometimes his features and ideas are a cut above the rest and it's at times like these I feel his target audience is somewhat temporarily raised here. But having him on breakfast permanently, I'm divided on it. He always said he didn't want to do it and turned it down when Grimmy took it over, and if he ever did do it he will take Chris with him. Others here have mentioned Greg doing it. Greg is a good presenter, sometimes a buerk on-air but I don't think breakfast is for him.

I can't comment much on Jordan North as I don't listen to his show much but from what I've heard of his presenting style, incorporating him into a full weekday slot would be a bad move, the same goes for Cel Spellman. I have nothing against either of them personally.

Matt Edmondson, hmm, a somewhat entertaining character but sometimes needs to give it up with his wacky ideas. Desperate and attention-seeking? His attempts at creating new games have been discussed on air by Scott.

The biggest mistake of last year was Clara gaining Fearne's show - Alice Levine should've got it hands down and let her weekend slot go to someone else. Alice is somewhat entertaining, funny and clever, and to attempt to be the new female Scott Mills with the "Yaaas!" thing is daring. Clara is an ex-1Xtra DJ who was given a chance, she lacks enthusiasm at times and rarely signs off with a "Bye" or "See you tomorrow" when handing to Newsbeat at 12:45, something I find a bit lazy and rude.

And finally, Dev - the one presenter I cannot stand as each year passes. A crap breakfast show plus bland chart coverings make him awful. His presenting style has gone downhill rapidly and personally I feel his time at the station is up. As for the "Afternoon Babes" slogan, that is somewhat pervy and I am nobody's babe when a bloke says it to me!

8 hours ago, Ryan Pannell said:

Matt Edmondson, hmm, a somewhat entertaining character but sometimes needs to give it up with his wacky ideas. Desperate and attention-seeking? His attempts at creating new games have been discussed on air by Scott.

I'm a big fan of Matt and I find him hilarious, but I do think him getting a big show would be a bit like when Mark and Lard did breakfast. I guess even @DC would admit that even they were a niche taste and not everyone got the jokes.

Up until this point, I agree with everything you have said on this forum.

On 08/08/2016 at 1:02 PM, OohErr said:

In the long term, there's loads of quite good people on commercial radio R1 should sign up - there's a guy called Danny Mylo on Pulse 1 in Yorkshire and also on Virgin at weekends - he's meant to be very good, managed by Hirsty, mates with Moyles and meant to be the next up and coming thing in radio. Will Manning started on Capital London drive recently - he's genuinely really good. His style reminds me a lot of Scott Mills actually, and despite being on Capital he actually has personality and features. I wasn't keen at the time, but Pete Alisson's grown on me as well - shame he never got a R1 gig, maybe one day he will after all.

Will Manning is a commercial boy, and forever will be. His show is full of banal shit he's found on Twitter. Just like every other Capital show, really - forced happiness, really short links to the point where they may aswell not even be called "presenters". 

And Pete Allison? Meh. He's the best of the worst. 

Another note - I think Matt Edmonson is genuinely a novice. He's not a presenter, he's boring and embarrassing, hence why he's on one of the most middle-of-the-road slots on Radio 1. 

His future is probably early breakfast on KISS or something. But please, God, do not let him anywhere near the daytime schedule if the schedule is to be shaken up in Sept.

Wow, you are being SAVAGE radioanorak! (Insert painting fingernail emoji here.)

2 hours ago, radioanorak said:

His show is full of banal shit he's found on Twitter.

I laughed quite a bit at this (I disagree though haha).

Another note - I think Matt Edmonson is genuinely a novice. He's not a presenter, he's boring and embarrassing, hence why he's on one of the most middle-of-the-road slots on Radio 1. 

His future is probably early breakfast on KISS or something. But please, God, do not let him anywhere near the daytime schedule if the schedule is to be shaken up in Sept.

I like Matt - his old Wednesday night show was one of the best, most creative and edgy things I have ever heard on the radio. Sadly (but understandably) he's gone much more mainstream since the move to weekends, but his show is still good and I find his games really inventive. It's also good how fresh he keeps things - unlike certain shows and features that go on long past their sell-by date, Matt constantly comes up with new things and gets rid of the old things so nothing overstays its welcome. Plus I find him very witty and enjoy his mundane stories. One of the few (the only) TV presenter who is actually good on the radio and has made the transition well. But I probably won't convince you. Oh well. Don't think he could ever be on KISS - he's nowhere near cool enough.

Up until this point, I agree with everything you have said on this forum.

Oh well, we had a good run. Sorry to let you down, I hope we can get past this rough patch :P 

9 hours ago, Jono said:

So you all seem to think a shakeup is most likely going to involve sacking and hiring rather than just reshuffling the ship? :P

Fo' shizzle. There's no way that the likes of Cairney will stay where they are, and I'm sure there'll be some night changes too. 

I think breakfast, drive & Annie Mac are safe for now in BC's eyes. The rest I'm sure are under scrutiny.

On 08/09/2016 at 8:30 AM, Jono said:

I'm a big fan of Matt and I find him hilarious, but I do think him getting a big show would be a bit like when Mark and Lard did breakfast. I guess even @DC would admit that even they were a niche taste and not everyone got the jokes.

True. Then I think you had to be a specific type of audience to like them. You could usually associate their listeners more towards uni students and maybe 6th formers than Radio 1's younger crop at the time. Hence why afternoons were perfect. That and people were more awake to deal with their style.

Matt is ok from what I've heard of him. But with the decline of the Breakfast show post Moyles, Radio 1 need to relaunch with something big. I think they may poach new talent for this.

on the grid.

8 hours ago, Jono said:

We talk about Alice and Greg but I heard some stuff from Alice and Matt yesterday, and I thought they could make a good pairing.

But when was the last time they stuck two solo presenters together? It does send a bit of a message of "we don't think you're good enough on your own". I really like Matt and Alice on their own anyway and Alice was separated from Phil to push her as a solo presenter. Unless they bring in new talent, Alice and Matt are the only two presenters who seem like daytime material. Having said that, neither of them are technically good enough yet IMO- Matt has little to no slickness. It drives me mad when he does a good link, then hits play on a song, stops talking only to awkwardly come back in over the intro of the song to say "you're with Matt on BBC Radio 1, still to come.....". It just sounds awful and something you'd never hear Scott or Greg do- they instinctively know what sounds good and when to stop talking. That's Matt's biggest flaw I think.

• 6 months later...
It needs a change soon the last major shuffle must have been 3 years ago now,  

Something like this maybe???

R1.thumb.png.5f7382f7b9d72f4ec9d8c5392fcea915.png

I would cross out Dance Anthems with Greg on Friday and give Danny Howard another hour. What does ICMYI stand for? And please leave Jam on Saturday night. Phil Taggart has to stay on Sunday night, it wouldn't fit to Saturday night, a night to go clubbing.

But the rest is not that bad

Sent from my D6503 using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

9 hours ago, thebeuter said:

I would cross out Dance Anthems with Greg on Friday and give Danny Howard another hour. What does ICMYI stand for? And please leave Jam on Saturday night. Phil Taggart has to stay on Sunday night, it wouldn't fit to Saturday night, a night to go clubbing.

But the rest is not that bad

Sorry got timings wrong, 3 two hour shows in the evening giving more time for music on stories and surgery and longer shows for Danny and Charlie. This pushes back Phil Taggart to later for a more relaxing show after a night out.

As for MistaJam and the 1Xtra takeover, if you want that just switch over to 1Xtra.

ICYMI would be a show similar to Chris on IPlayer with a Sunday evening recap of key moments in the last week replayed.

R1.png