Unofficial Mills

2016 Power Intros

Ant L

I found it quite funny how just after the 3:30 news Scott played a "New Music Friday" sweeper into two three year old songs (John Newman - Love Me Again and Daft Punk - Get Lucky).

I've also noticed that the TOH/half-hour segue songs are cut down to about two and a half minutes instead of three and half, and they're playing three in the time they'd usually play two. Plus Scott played FIVE songs before he did his first proper link today. I always thought four was a lot.

Saying that, I like the voices on these A LOT more than the current ones. It's sounding very slick - something the current imaging lacks, whereas Capital masters.

Nice timing with New Music Friday launching as well!

These remind of the 2012 Jingles which is a good thing because these new jingles are so addictive although I haven't heard any of the 'Where It Begins' imagery with the new package, nor have I seen it uploaded on the PURE Jingles Soundcloud/Website or whereverever it going to be uploaded.

24 minutes ago, TMD_24 said:

Nice timing with New Music Friday launching as well!

These remind of the 2012 Jingles which is a good thing because these new jingles are so addictive although I haven't heard any of the 'Where It Begins' imagery with the new package, nor have I seen it uploaded on the PURE Jingles Soundcloud/Website or whereverever it going to be uploaded.

I guess we're not exactly sure if these signal a whole new package or if they're just for this New Music Friday thing.

I actually think two of the voiceovers are from the 2012-2014 era.

13 minutes ago, Ant L said:

I guess we're not exactly sure if these signal a whole new package or if they're just for this New Music Friday thing.

I actually think two of the voiceovers are from the 2012-2014 era.

I hope so, would be a bit of a waste if they just used it for Friday although I did hear the new jingles on Adele Roberts and Grimmy's show without the 'New Music Friday' and 'FRIDAYY!!!' imaging so maybe we will hear everyday rather than just Friday. 

22 minutes ago, Ant L said:

One of the current voiceovers tweeted on Tuesday to say he was away to record some more voiceovers for Radio 1,  so unless he plays a part in any new package I don't think they'll be changing anytime soon.

Ah ok, so looks R1 is continuing the theme of different voiceovers for different things.  

Throughout Friday I was listening to Radio 1 and heard the New Music Friday jingles, fearful that a complete rebrand of the station was coming in. I say fearful because the current ones launched in September '14 are the best in years and give the station a complete new identity than previous sets.

I've noticed these new jingles don't include the Where It Begins in any of them (if I'm wrong please correct me). The slogan is great for the station and the TOTH jingles work well, especially with a presenter changeover.

I've not listened to the radio all weekend but have just gone through iPlayer Radio and listened to TOTH and jingles played after the news. Here we have a selection of current ones plus newly released content by Pure Jingles, none in the different jingle format of New Music Friday though. Based on this, I don't think a rebrand is coming. Friday's might sound different for now but the rest of the time is still pretty much the same methinks. The current set was only introduced just over 18 months ago, the previous set of jingles lasted from April 2012 to September 2014, so nearly 2.5 years. These jingles are still young and have a lot of time left in them, it's far too early to completely rebrand the station.

Also, if New Music Friday jingles were put on permanently 24/7, just think how the sound around the Newsbeat and Official Chart jingles - quite out of place methinks.

I quite liked the sound of these new jingles, they sound fresh! And i've got to be honest (as much as i hate to say this), the R1 produced IDs since the 2014 voices haven't been their best work, The Pure Jingles TOH IDs jump all over them! I did think that Mike Wooller off of 2012 voiceover fame was involved in these jingles, either that or someone who sounds similar!

I'm not a fan of the current idents. They're so slow and plodding, four voices is too many, one of the voices is godawful and the sound effects don't sound fresh in the slightest. As much as I hate to say this, Capital is sounding a lot slicker at the moment - some fast paced, slick idents (like the New Music Friday ones) would do it a lot of good.

IMO four voices makes a change because we have variance, rather the the old 2012 ones which just had the grainy "One". And having listened to the radio all day today and hearing the normal ones back on in their usual place, I don't think a new package will be on air soon.

My reason for doubting new jingles are coming is because the current ones were launched phased in slowly throughout Monday 1st September 2014 and by the time we got to Gregs show pretty much the old jingles had gone. So if new ones were on the way they'd have started them last Friday and not reverted back to the current ones on Saturday. What would be the point in that? Unprofessional for a start.

On 08/04/2016 at 7:07 PM, TMD_24 said:

I hope so, would be a bit of a waste if they just used it for Friday although I did hear the new jingles on Adele Roberts and Grimmy's show without the 'New Music Friday' and 'FRIDAYY!!!' imaging so maybe we will hear everyday rather than just Friday. 

Heya, 

Could you link us the episode and time you found them? Interesting!

Everything just sounds like it's flowing much better with the Friday imaging. I think it may be down to the quality of the pre-programmed segues sounding well-mixed rather than just ident (or ID)->song->ID->song->branded song intro->song.

I noticed the IDs today sounded different to last week's - maybe the station sound guys are trying out different things for a full rollout later in the year? Speculation of course.

Everything just sounds like it's flowing much better with the Friday imaging. I think it may be down to the quality of the pre-programmed segues sounding well-mixed rather than just ident (or ID)->song->ID->song->branded song intro->song.

I noticed the IDs today sounded different to last week's - maybe the station sound guys are trying out different things for a full rollout later in the year? Speculation of course.

The branded song intros are great, I've always felt the station struggled to better the 1tros era.

Sent from my iPhone using the Unofficialmills.co.uk mobile app

I was listening to the radio at work yesterday. The more I listen to it, the more I stand by what I said earlier in the week about a rebrand not happening soon. I noticed yesterday there was more of a mix of NMF jingles and the current ones, compared to the first Friday.

Also, Pure Jingles latest demo on their website has the current branding, surely if a rebrand was coming it would've been put on their website?

I will say this again, to launch a new jingle package is (IMO) unprofessional and I can't see the point in phasing it in over days/weeks. Ease it in during one day through Grimmy, Clara, Scott and Gregs shows, just like the current package was eased in. Big Weekend is just over a month away, and getting closer, it's being talked about more on the station...I don't think we'll see any rebrand before or after. Shall we take bets? :D

Also, I think NMF is pointless, and will not last long. It's all about new music. Well, isn't that what R1 is generally all about? New music and chart. I'm hearing a lot of new music previously heard before NMF began, these tracks are new but not that new! Artists release their music on a Friday now, and with the chart helping broadcast that, NMF really is a pointless gimmick that is awful. It's only in segments too, as other music played around it is normal chart music. Take Scott's show for example, it's 3 hours long, I estimate 45 minutes of that is NMF-related tunes.

Listened to New Music Friday today on iPlayer. Definitely heard more new IDs today and interestly remixes of songs were played during the regular shows. Sounds like they are incorporating part of Dance Anthems songs into the playlist which is a good idea.

I also noticed that some of the IDs were extended today, some as much as 10 seconds!! (Although I think that is normal for most of them) I also noticed artist voiceovers in the TOTH IDs including a version from Twenty One Pilots where they basically announce 'Hey this is Twenty One Pilots' before sweeping into their song. To me I would love to hear artist do voiceovers for each of their songs, a idea I have is R1 using some of the voiceovers from the Official Chart opener, be interesting to see if they end up using them one day.

On 22/04/2016 at 9:30 PM, TMD_24 said:

Listened to New Music Friday today on iPlayer. Definitely heard more new IDs today and interestly remixes of songs were played during the regular shows. Sounds like they are incorporating part of Dance Anthems songs into the playlist which is a good idea.

I also noticed that some of the IDs were extended today, some as much as 10 seconds!! (Although I think that is normal for most of them) I also noticed artist voiceovers in the TOTH IDs including a version from Twenty One Pilots where they basically announce 'Hey this is Twenty One Pilots' before sweeping into their song. To me I would love to hear artist do voiceovers for each of their songs, a idea I have is R1 using some of the voiceovers from the Official Chart opener, be interesting to see if they end up using them one day.

Nonononono. 

R1 copying Capital's intros would make it Capital. Bring back 1tros. The use of the "Hey, this is (Ariana Grande / TOP / 1D_)" is irrelevant. We know who it is if the presenter announces who it was, and we probably don't care who they are, we just want their music. 

It gives listeners chance to switch off, and it makes the station sound like it has a playlist of about three songs. 

• 1 month later...

New Music Friday is getting worse. Shorter versions of songs are being played. :grrr: I'm also hearing songs that have previous been TOTD and previously played during normal airtime.

Please R1, get rid of this shocking idea immediately. It's not working!