Unofficial Mills

2016 Power Intros

Ant L

I discovered the other day that Spotify have been doing something for about a year now, called, er... New Music Friday.

I have mixed feelings on NMF - I really enjoy the power intros and the slick mixes of songs into one another, but it seems like less effort is put into those as time goes on. Plus, the cut down songs aren't great. I think I like the imaging for the feature more than the feature itself - Radio 1 is a new music station, every day should be about new music.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with OohErr, the Imaging is brilliant and the power intros are addictive to listen to but I like it more than the actual feature.

Looks like NMF will be temporary suspended tomorrow, they suspended it for Big Weekend so I wouldn't be surprised if they did for Glastonbury.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ant L said:

It would appear some of New Music Friday's imaging has been somewhat rolled out across Radio 1 today (Saturday). The little power intros were heard on Dev and Matt's shows.

Ok speculation time.. With NMF imaging now being rolled out on non-Friday's, perhaps the current package is being scraped before August...

You mentioned at the start of this thread that one of the current voiceovers tweeted that he was recording more voiceovers, do you think that's been scraped?

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the current voiceovers were definitely being replaced during 2016. I would imagine if the two year cycle is being followed it'll be September but it sounds like it's a gradual phase in. Which is fine but it's a bit of a mish-mash with the four current voices plus the two or three new ones?

I haven't even heard New Music Friday being mentioned in the imaging on Fridays when I've been listening?

50 minutes ago, Ant L said:

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the current voiceovers were definitely being replaced during 2016. I would imagine if the two year cycle is being followed it'll be September but it sounds like it's a gradual phase in. Which is fine but it's a bit of a mish-mash with the four current voices plus the two or three new ones?

I haven't even heard New Music Friday being mentioned in the imaging on Fridays when I've been listening?

I believe in some of the power intros there was the odd 'IT'S FRIIIDAY' mentions but yeah, no direct mentions to New Music Friday.

Just to clarify with the new package rolling out this year, I assume Newsbeat and the Charts would have some updates as well to it's imaging? I remember during the 'Listen, Watch, Share' era of Newsbeat that when the new package fully launched the only change that it had was the updated voiceovers and nothing else if I'm correct?

On 02/07/2016 at 1:25 PM, TMD_24 said:

I believe in some of the power intros there was the odd 'IT'S FRIIIDAY' mentions but yeah, no direct mentions to New Music Friday.

Just to clarify with the new package rolling out this year, I assume Newsbeat and the Charts would have some updates as well to it's imaging? I remember during the 'Listen, Watch, Share' era of Newsbeat that when the new package fully launched the only change that it had was the updated voiceovers and nothing else if I'm correct?

Yeah, they whacked the new voiceovers over the top.

This is all exciting! Ayy! Anyone got deets on voiceover names?

• 5 weeks later...

I keep hearing the newer voiceovers being used within the - they're definitely creative. But lately it has become apparent that Pure Jingles have:

1. Possibly run out of ideas for completely rebranding the station and giving it a brand new sound.
  2. Kept previously-used voiceovers (pre-September 2014) on file and not just binned them - good to know.
  3. Introduced the jingles in "batches" and released them, whilst they create more and then release them at a later date.

Why do I think this? Allow me to elaborate on my points from above...

In point 3, I have speculated the point of a possible "create >> release >> create more >> release" rhythm that is ongoing - this could explain the slow rate the jingles have been released at...?

In point 1, I have speculated about completely rebranding the station. I speculate that they may have possibly run out of ideas on a complete rebrand. Who knows? This is where point 2 comes into play, as maybe it was agreed between PJ and BBC R1 not to completely write a new package, but to instead incorporate old previously used voiceovers into new and current jingles?

"Your evidence?" I hear you ask. Certainly...

Listen to today's lunchtime Newsbeat - scroll to 08:15 and listen to the female "BBC". Next, listen to this imagine demo from 2012 on Youtube. Hear a similarity? It's the old female voice from the previous "era" creeping into the modern Newsbeat.

Another example is this section of a video on YouTube of the current imaging demos for the summer. "This is BBC Radio 1" is heard, the "This is" half is the female voice used on the Newsbeat jingle from April 2012 to September 2014, and the male voice says the "BBC Radio 1" part.

If you fancy playing detective, you can hear both packages on YouTube here:

2012 imaging - Summer 2016 jingles using non-sung vocals

What is clear here that Radio 1 and Pure Jingles are moving forward with mixing new jingles into current and old voiceovers - a clever and creative combination whilst being rest assured our old voiceovers are still in archive somwhere and not just binned and never heard again. What isn't clear is whether it has been done in this way because of a lack of ideas, or whether it was done because Radio 1 wanted to go this route rather than a complete rebrand. That's something that could be argued out for a long time.

Mixing new and current jingles with old and new voiceovers is a risk - it could go either way. I like the current jingles that have been on air since 2014, in my view they are better than the previous set used up until then (although I didn't think that before). I like the pre-2014 set too, and to hear them on YouTube etc nearly 2 years after they were taken off air makes them sound old and a tad dated.

My plea here is not to completely rebrand the station, but to mash it up a bit and introduce these new jingles with old voiceovers. A bit of old and new could work here. The pre-2014 voiceovers are a familiar general voice of R1, as opposed to the 2014 voiceovers with the accents.

34 minutes ago, Ryan Pannell said:

I keep hearing the newer voiceovers being used within the - they're definitely creative. But lately it has become apparent that Pure Jingles have:

1. Possibly run out of ideas for completely rebranding the station and giving it a brand new sound.
  2. Kept previously-used voiceovers (pre-September 2014) on file and not just binned them - good to know.
  3. Introduced the jingles in "batches" and released them, whilst they create more and then release them at a later date.

Why do I think this? Allow me to elaborate on my points from above...

In point 3, I have speculated the point of a possible "create >> release >> create more >> release" rhythm that is ongoing - this could explain the slow rate the jingles have been released at...?

In point 1, I have speculated about completely rebranding the station. I speculate that they may have possibly run out of ideas on a complete rebrand. Who knows? This is where point 2 comes into play, as maybe it was agreed between PJ and BBC R1 not to completely write a new package, but to instead incorporate old previously used voiceovers into new and current jingles?

"Your evidence?" I hear you ask. Certainly...

Listen to today's lunchtime Newsbeat - scroll to 08:15 and listen to the female "BBC". Next, listen to this imagine demo from 2012 on Youtube. Hear a similarity? It's the old female voice from the previous "era" creeping into the modern Newsbeat.

Another example is this section of a video on YouTube of the current imaging demos for the summer. "This is BBC Radio 1" is heard, the "This is" half is the female voice used on the Newsbeat jingle from April 2012 to September 2014, and the male voice says the "BBC Radio 1" part.

If you fancy playing detective, you can hear both packages on YouTube here:

2012 imaging - Summer 2016 jingles using non-sung vocals

What is clear here that Radio 1 and Pure Jingles are moving forward with mixing new jingles into current and old voiceovers - a clever and creative combination whilst being rest assured our old voiceovers are still in archive somwhere and not just binned and never heard again. What isn't clear is whether it has been done in this way because of a lack of ideas, or whether it was done because Radio 1 wanted to go this route rather than a complete rebrand. That's something that could be argued out for a long time.

Mixing new and current jingles with old and new voiceovers is a risk - it could go either way. I like the current jingles that have been on air since 2014, in my view they are better than the previous set used up until then (although I didn't think that before). I like the pre-2014 set too, and to hear them on YouTube etc nearly 2 years after they were taken off air makes them sound old and a tad dated.

My plea here is not to completely rebrand the station, but to mash it up a bit and introduce these new jingles with old voiceovers. A bit of old and new could work here. The pre-2014 voiceovers are a familiar general voice of R1, as opposed to the 2014 voiceovers with the accents.

Am I missing something? The video you say is the Summer 2016 jingles is just an old package from the 2012-2014 era, uploaded in June this year.

This is the current batch: 

31 minutes ago, Ryan Pannell said:

Did you click on the links I provided? The video you linked to shows jingles that are in use, yes, but this video is using the old voiceovers - ignore the music in it and listen carefully.

That video is using the old voiceovers because that's an old demo from over 2 years ago  

Newsbeat from the other day used an old voiceover, probably in error.

Am I misunderstanding?

48 minutes ago, Ryan Pannell said:

Explain to me why the video was only uploaded to YouTube by PJ on 4th July 2016 then.

And Newsbeat using an old voiceover wasn't an error, it's because it's being phased in.

It wasn't uploaded by Pure Jingles. 

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. 

48 minutes ago, Ryan Pannell said:

Explain to me why the video was only uploaded to YouTube by PJ on 4th July 2016 then.

And Newsbeat using an old voiceover wasn't an error, it's because it's being phased in.

It wasn't uploaded by Pure Jingles. 

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. 

Radio 1 has started using new voiceovers for the power intros heard on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. It's widely expected these voices will take over full time at some point (although we don't actually know that for sure).

It would be weird to bring back voiceovers from 2012 while all this is going on. Also, the video in your previous post doesn't actually have old voiceovers in it.

Newsbeat clearly just used an old bed or clipped an old ID on to a bed in error. 2+2 together doesn't make 5.

5 hours ago, Ant L said:

It would be weird to bring back voiceovers from 2012 while all this is going on. Also, the video in your previous post doesn't actually have old voiceovers in it.

It does now I've edited it. Bringing voiceovers from 2012 isn't weird. It's something that hasn't been done before on radio to my knowledge, but something that IS happening and being incorporated into new jingles. As I originally said, it's a clever and creative combination.  I also said it's a risk that could go either way, so it will either be accepted or criticised by the likes of you.

Time to stop being in denial and accept this is the way they're going with things. Brand new and unheard content isn't always successful and the way forward, clearly the case here.

Crikey, Ryan's really going for it isn't he. 

I couldn't really care less about theories. When it comes into play on Radio 1, then I'll make comment. 

But, sidenote, 2012 was my favourite time for idents and jingles on BBC Radio 1. Nick's show had some awesome idents. The Scottish voiceovers should be binned now pls.

I've been watching this thread for the past few days and have decided to throw my 2cents in! 

And I'm going to start with a curve ball, I don't think 'Pure Jingles' are behind these new Power Intros and Idents that we are hearing. They do the "Where It Begins" TOHs and that's it.

Lets bring 'On The Sly' to the table for a second. They already produce the Summer Mixes (this years and last years) as well as The Live Lounge imaging. They create a lot of power intros for other stations and in general, which is why I think they (and the R1 station sound team) are behind them.

Another reason why I think this? Mike Wooller, male voice from 2012 and these new Power Intros, is one of On The Sly's voice over artists, and I'm sure I've heard this new female voice on one of their demos before.

As far as the old Pure Jingles package above goes, if you check out their soundcloud page you'll find that demo listed 2/3 years ago, proving that it is an old package and not a new one.

Newsbeat have been known to use an old voiced bed every now and again, so there's nothing new there.

Have I missed anything?

Great post, forde52. Strange that they've brought back a previous voiceover but I'm pleased Mike Wooller will be used again- I think he's one of the best voiceovers Radio 1 have had. Bit strange that he's now a Capital presenter on Friday night and a Radio 1 VO at the same time?

Looks like the new voiceovers will take over properly when Live Lounge Month starts in a few weeks. I've liked the current foursome- Merv (London-sounding guy) and Louisa (not the Scottish one) in particular have sounded great and I've liked Kyle (Geordie guy) on Dance Anthems and some of the Breakfast Show stuff and idents. Haven't liked the Scottish female at all. It was an experiment to have 4 voices but I think it's worked well- the station has sounded great recently imaging-wise and the diversity in voices has kept things fresh. 

4 hours ago, murste said:

Looks like the new voiceovers will take over properly when Live Lounge Month starts in a few weeks. 

I would have thought if that was the case then the imaging for it would have the new (or old) voiceovers. Everything I've heard for it today has been Louisa Lytton or Merv.

Perhaps they just used last year's today.

1 hour ago, Ant L said:

I would have thought if that was the case then the imaging for it would have the new (or old) voiceovers. Everything I've heard for it today has been Louisa Lytton or Merv.

Perhaps they just used last year's today.

Can't be sure but Live Lounge Month would seem the logical time to do it. Big event fot R1,  schools and colleges going back etc and IIRC, September 2014 is when the current VOs came in. 

Plus, Pure Jingles have been making the sweepers for over four years now - it seems like the natural time to change.

I only hope that if they bring in the power intros for every TOH/half-hour, they don't continue chopping the songs up in order to fit more in - I'd rather hear fewer songs, played in full, less often than more songs, chopped down to two minutes ten times a day.

They'd also need to create power intros for more songs if they did it full time - at the moment it feels like I'm always hearing the same songs all the time (although that might just be because the power intros make it feel that way).

On 11/08/2016 at 10:46 PM, OohErr said:

I only hope that if they bring in the power intros for every TOH/half-hour, they don't continue chopping the songs up in order to fit more in - I'd rather hear fewer songs, played in full, less often than more songs, chopped down to two minutes ten times a day.

I've seen a lot of criticism on Twitter about that, and when they're cut down they do sound incredibly "clunky". Any ideas why, aside from just to fit more music in?