Unofficial Mills

The Unofficial Mills 2016 Virtual Time Vault - For 2021ish

OohErr

view?usp=sharingview?usp=sharing

So, 2016. Scott is still on Radio 1 - he signed a new two year contract in 2015, but we think that it might be his last one, at least on afternoons. Does this site even exist in 2021? Who knows. Jordan North is currently doing quite a lot of cover on Radio 1 - I think they might give him his own show soon.

The UK is in the European Union, and most people think we will vote to stay in the referendum, although Cameron's "reforms" have been heavily criticised. He said he won't serve a full second term as prime minister, so he'll step down at some point. George Osborne is the favourite to succeed him. There is currently a huge war going on between Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt and all of the junior doctors, because of an unfair contract imposed on them. Will the NHS have been destroyed by 2021? Did all of the junior doctors resign in protest? Did Jeremy Hunt get sacked, and will the contract imposition destroy his political career. The Conservatives appear to be attacking democracy, the BBC and the trade union movement largely unstopped.

Meanwhile, much to everyone's surprise Jeremy Corbyn is the leader of the Labour Party, but the party is very divided over him and most people think that we don't have a chance of winning the 2020 general election. It is preparing itself for a bloodbath at the polls. Everybody expected Labour to be in some kind of government by now with Miliband as PM, but they did much worse in 2015 than everybody expected, although most expect Labour candidate Sadiq Khan to become the next mayor of London.

BBC Three is about to close on TV and go online only - it's rather controversial and people aren't hugely optimistic about its survival or continued ability to innovate and create new content.

Chris Moyles has been doing the breakfast show on Radio X for a few months now - the show is very good, and the first set of listening figures for it have gone up since XFM. All signs seem promising, although Comedy Dave is missed.

Alright people, what else have we got for the future?

• 2 months later...

2016 so far has also been big for losing major superstars like David Bowie and Prince, plus countless other celebs and entertainers. And we're only into April. Who else will be gone by then?

Great to hear Chris Moyles back on the Radio, hopefully in 5 years he's still at it and going strong, been impressed with what I've heard. Could do with an Radio X FM transmitter in the Midlands.

I wonder where Scott will be in 5 years. And I wonder how Radio 1 will sound like? They focus so much on the playlist and age group of their listeners right now. Saying that, will Radio 2 have fully pulled me in by 2021 at 33 years old? I'm still not big on the old guard like Ken Bruce but Simon Mayo is a broadcasting hero of mine so there's time.

Talking of my radio hero's. Will Mark and the boy Lard (Marc Riley) do some form of reunion show even as a one off? By then they'll be both above 60 and may be considering hanging up the headphones. Would be a good idea for Radio 1's 50th birthday next year.

on the grid.

8 hours ago, DC said:

Will Mark and the boy Lard (Marc Riley) do some form of reunion show even as a one off? By then they'll be both above 60 and may be considering hanging up the headphones. Would be a good idea for Radio 1's 50th birthday next year.

That would be amazing! I so hope they do. I've never heard much of Radcliffe and Maconie, but it always feels wrong. It's all about Mark and Lardyboy. Can I get a biggedybiggedybong in a Nick Grimshaw stylee?

2 hours ago, OohErr said:

That would be amazing! I so hope they do. I've never heard much of Radcliffe and Maconie, but it always feels wrong. It's all about Mark and Lardyboy. Can I get a biggedybiggedybong in a Nick Grimshaw stylee?

Nick Grimshaw, Mark? Sounds just like her!

I get the feeling that I may as well piss into the wind with Radio 1 getting some of the older DJ's in for some specials on their 50th. They did on the 40th in 2007, Tony Blackburn came in on Chris Moyles' breakfast show I recall. But 10 years on and the hierarchy at the station seem to want to wipe away their history, and seem to think the world was created in 2009.

Not to say that Radio 2 or 6 Music could do something to celebrate for them, I'd love to hear Mark & Lard do a special but I doubt that would happen. They have moved on but look back on it with some form of subtle shame I always feel, for some reason. Always bringing up the failure of the breakfast show in 1997, although the biggest show on the afternoon got a Sony Gold.

on the grid.

I wouldn't normally go anywhere near the shitfest that is The Sun, but I came across this article from a few years back: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/175199/Lard-Ive-left-my-Mark.html

Quite sad to hear, it essentially says that Mark and Lard aren't actually friends and they never want to work together ever again. Sad times. It always makes me sad when something I look back on fondly is dismissed by the person (or people) who made it happen. Women do it to me all the time.

I kid, of course. That would imply I've ever got anywhere with a woman.

They did do some form of advert for Manchester City about 2009 way, years after that article was written (the sun article was a few months after their final Radio 1 show so is getting on now). Nothing since this but it restores slight hope.

on the grid.