• New on Unofficial Mills

Jono

Why I wish I'd not bought a HP Spectre X360

Anyone made a laptop purchase lately?

The Spectre X360 was a laptop I wish I had not purchased. The most expensive buy I’ve made, and my first HP laptop, and it has been disastrous. It does not seem to be just me with these issues.

The wifi and internet – the main reason I use the laptop – has been poor ever since I got it. It only connects if I'm next to my router, and if I leave the room it disconnects. This has not been a problem on my iPhone, my Sky+ box, other laptops. I’ve spent hundreds of pounds and hundreds of hours trying to change my network in my house to make the situation better. From wireless adapters to new routers to powerlink adapters. I’ve downloaded driver after driver from HP and Intel, tweaked the settings. Every update brings a glimmer of hope before having the same issues. Updating to Windows 10 is the final straw, having made it worse.

I’m not alone. I search Twitter, the HP forums, Reddit, and everyone is saying the same. They’d wished they’d not made the purchase.

HP’s advice was to get them to replace the card. But what’s the point? I lose the laptop I rely on for work for two weeks, when it is clear from the forums this action is of no use. The card simply doesn't work with the laptop. How can six months after release this still be an issue? Had I not spent £1000 this would have probably gone out of the window with the anger.

To make matters worse four months later the keys have started to wear off and it no longer looks like the beautiful model I once bought. They are marked, and the paint has come off. How is that even possible so soon? It no longer looks or feels like a premium purchase.

If I’d reacted sooner I would have got my money back and gone for an Apple Macbook or a Microsoft Surface... So after my rant I'm wondering whether anyone has made a laptop purchase lately? Or does anyone have a success story for the X360?

Burn it on the front lawn and have a massive anti-hp ceremony. And then get a mac, that's my honest advice. I bought a macbook pro to use with work a year and a half ago, it hasn't done me wrong once.

HP is bad news in my book in any form. I bought a printer/scanner thing, it's now sitting in the spare room and it's not even 3 years old. It's already knackered, the print heads have gone.

on the grid.

MacBook Pro for me, Just recently bought the new one to replace my old 2009 model. Certainly the best laptop I've ever owned (can be on this site within 30 seconds on turning it on).

My new HP laptop can't connect to my wireless internet either. SO annoying. :confused:
More common than they claim!

I sent it back to PC World who quoted 10 days. 10 days have now passed and they're only just ordering parts.