Unofficial Mills

Zane Lowe (remember him?)

OohErr

It was Zane's first show on Beats 1 today. Have to admit, I did tune in and stop listening to Greg, although I came back for Newsbeat. Anybody else listen and care to share thoughts?

In terms of the actual show, it was okay. It was very similar to the old Radio 1 show, and that is no bad thing. He said the names and taglines too often though. He also seems to have dropped "WHO'S ON BOARD?" as a thing, which i missed. But... it just felt wrong. What I thought was good about the olds show was that the transition from fun to serious was eased by the 7PM handover where we heard the funny side to Zane before he went into serious new-music guy. I missed that today when he went straight in with serious music broadcasting, it all felt too formal too soon.

But basically- Zane belongs on Radio 1, and it's weird how he's doing the same things he used to do on Radio 1 but it's not on Radio 1 anymore. I feel a bit... betrayed. Like he's abandoned Radio 1 and he doesn't care about it anymore. It's rather taken the shine off his last R1 show, knowing he's moved on to something he has more passion for. I know this probably isn't the case but at the moment it feels like he's cheating on Radio 1 and it's weird/sad. I'm wondering whether the R1 staff and DJs feel the same way.

PS: I put this thread in the off topic forum because technically it's not Radio 1 related anymore. *sigh*

I've had a little listen and I agree that it's weird. It sounds exactly how Zanes show used to sound just on a different station, but I guess thats what apple payed for!

So far music wise what Julie and Zane have been playing is mostly british artists which is great for their exposure. It's also really similar to what Radio 1 and 1Xtra are playling (Zane's first 'world record'-his new version of the hottest record was Pharell, which Annie played as her 'hottest record' an hour later!).

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. So far it doesn't seem that many people are tuning in but I guess it's still early days.