Unofficial Mills

Changes To Radio One

Harry oulton

Weekend Breakfast should go back to starting at 7am .

Oh I disagree - the 6-7 hour of Dev's show is the best bit. He's said in the past that he prefers the audience he has at that time compared to later on because he feels like they listen more and he can be more himself with them. That means the first hour is usually the funniest. There's a clip on the archive of him telling a story of the time he wet himself on a school trip - a story that never would have made it to air if he still started at 7am.

The first thing I'd do would be to scrap Gemma Cairney altogether. Then, I'd swap the Surgery with the Radio 1 Rock show, put just Dan and Phil back onto Sunday evenings, give Clara Amfo instructions to expand on some features, extend the Radio 1 Breakfast Show bed to how it was before.

Lastly, I'd stop syndicating 1Xtra & Radio 1 on Saturday evenings, because, well, it's just weird, and it's stopping new presenters *cough* from being given opportunity to shine.

I'd put Matt into Weekday Drive time, Swap Alice & Clara, Keep Scott & Grimmy on the same time, give Dan & Phil the Sat & Sun 4-7, Greg into Matts weekend slot, give Friday 7-10 to B.Traits, Dance Anthems move to Saturday 7-10 and get rid of the long newsbeat shows!

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

I'd put Matt into Weekday Drive time, Swap Alice & Clara, Keep Scott & Grimmy on the same time, give Dan & Phil the Sat & Sun 4-7, Greg into Matts weekend slot, give Friday 7-10 to B.Traits, Dance Anthems move to Saturday 7-10 and get rid of the long newsbeat shows!

I agree with you on the Dan & Phil move, and keeping Grimmy and Mills in the same places, but aside from that, I'm not sure I like some of your ideas. Newsbeat, for example, provides an informative, entertaining and bite-sized look on the world's affairs. I really like their longer shows, as they provide more depth into the stories they tell frequently. B.Traits is shoddy and her voice makes me want to tear my own hair out; I like the fact that she's rarely on Radio 1 at a time I'm listening.

Also, I like Greg's slot where it is - maybe they should swap Greg & Scott's slots around?

Right, I have been thinking about this a lot and this is what I have come up with:

Leave Grimmy where he is at the moment. However, if Grimmy continues with The X Factor for a few more years, I think Ben Cooper could put Greg on Breakfast in a few years. Also, I can’t work out why the Entertainment News has been moved from 11:50am to 7:40am. I don’t think there was anything wrong with it before.

With regards to Clara’s show, I feel that there is something missing and I can’t figure out what. For me, the links are far too short and aren’t worth saying. I think with an extra feature or two, the show could be good but at the moment, it’s not my favourite show on the station.

I’d leave Scott where he is. His show is brilliant at the moment and I see no reason to move him anywhere else.

I’d also leave Greg where he is. Like Scott, his show is great but there is onething that puzzles me. Like Clara’s show, the Entertainment News at 6:30pm has been removed altogether and so Chris Smith just disappears after a song after 6:30pm between Monday-Wednesday and doesn’t at all feature on the show after 6pm on Thursdays and Fridays.With Annie’s Monday-Thursday show, I would extend it to between 7pm-10pm to bring it in line with her Friday show and the rest of the weekend scheduling.The Internet Takeover along with all YouTubers would be dropped from the station.This is radio and the line has to be drawn somewhere. The YouTubers don’t anything to the station in my opinion and when they do present shows, they are just 100% cringeworthy, as proved by Jack and Dean’s attempt at covering Matt’s show last weekend. I listened for a grand total of 7 minutes on Saturday before I switched off, it was that bad.

The Rock Show would move to Thursday nights between 10pm-1am. The reason for this is because I feel that the decision last year to move this show from 12am-2am toSunday evenings was utterly bizarre. I may be singled out here, but I don’t wantto listen to rock music and instead would prefer something a bit mellower.Also, Thursday night is the only night where the 10pm-12am and 12am-1am still applies. I thought the reason the 10pm-1am slots were implemented was to save money and cut back on the number of DJ’s so to keep 10pm-12am doesn’t make sense.

As a replacement, I would divide the 7pm-10pm slot on a Sunday in two. The Surgery and Radio 1 Stories could occupy this slot with shows being extended by 30 minutes. The Surgery could run from 7pm-8:30pm and R1 Stories from 8:30pm-10pm or vice versa. In all honesty, I think putting Gemma into The Surgery was a good move as I think she is suited to broadcasting and presenting documentaries as opposed to DJ’ing.

I'd stop the ridiculous 1Xtra takeover on Saturday evenings in an instant.

I mean, what's that all about?! As a Radio 1 listener, the last thing I want to hear on Saturday night is hip-hop & R&B. I want to hear dance anthems! There couldn't be a *less* appropriate time of the week to merge the two stations together. On a Saturday night, Radio 1's listeners are looking for a completely different vibe to 1Xtra's listeners.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how i would have radio one:

Monday To Friday

4:00am to 6:30am - Adele Roberts, Radio One Early Breakfast

6:30am to 10:00am - The Radio One Breakfast Show With Scott Mills

10:00am to 1:00pm - Greg James

1:00pm to 1:30pm - NewsBeat

1:30pm to 4:30pm - Alice Levine (live lounges) and (some bbc introducing gigs)

4:30pm to 6:30pm - Nick Grimshaw + The Official Chart on Fridays from 4:30pm till 7:00pm

6:30pm to 7:00pm - NewsBeat (Mondays to Thursdays)

7:00pm to 10:00pm - Annie Mac + Annie Mac's Friday night

10:00pm to 1:00am - Huw Stephens (Monday to Thursday's) Friday Nights - Pete Tong

1:00 to 4:00am - BBC Radio One's Essential Mix with Annie Nightingale

Saturday's and Sundays

After Pete Tong on Friday nights.

1:00am to 4:00am DJ Target

4:00am to 6:00am - BBC Radio One's Essential Mix with Diplo and Friends

6:00am to 10:00am - Clara Amfo For Weekend Breakfast

10:00am to 12:45pm - Dev

12:45pm to 1:00pm - Newsbeat

1:00pm to 4:00pm - Yasmin Evens From 1xtra, this will not be a take over.

4:00pm to 7:00pm - The Matt Edmondson Show (Saturdays only) Sunday's: The Radio One Rock Show

7:00pm to 10:00pm - Radio One Dance Anthems with Danny Howard Saturday Only,

7:00pm to 10:00pm - Sunday - a look back at the busy week of radio one with Greg James (ICYMI)

10:00pm to 1:00am - Annie Nightingale

I'd stop the ridiculous 1Xtra takeover on Saturday evenings in an instant.

I mean, what's that all about?! As a Radio 1 listener, the last thing I want to hear on Saturday night is hip-hop & R&B. I want to hear dance anthems! There couldn't be a *less* appropriate time of the week to merge the two stations together. On a Saturday night, Radio 1's listeners are looking for a completely different vibe to 1Xtra's listeners.

I think the main reason is obviously to save money! If they didn't simulcast they would have to cut even more shows from the schedule. It doesn't seem that crazy though, where else in the weekly schedule would you have those kind of shows? Radio 1 has played hip hop and rnb on a saturday night since the westwood days. I really don't think there's a huge difference at all between what Radio 1 listeners and 1Xtra listeners want on a Saturday evening. Also what Mistajam plays crosses over with what Danny Howard plays.