Unofficial Mills

Jack and Dean in for Matt Edmondson

abertom

Oh god. This is a bad sign. I'll put it out there now and make an early prediction - Jack and Dean to replace Scott in 2017?

On a similar note, I remember Dan and Phil filling (or should I say... philling? HAHAHAHAHAHA i'll leave now.) in for Matt Edmondson back when he was doing the Wednesday night show. It was as bad as could be expected really.

What a great message Radio 1 are sending to all budding radio presenters out there- when there's a slot that needs covering, we won't give a young new talent a go, we'll give it to YouTubers who want a bit of extra work on the side. It's baffling - Capital are better at bringing through new radio talent than R1 now.

Jack & Dean's cover won't be visualised so what's the point? People listening at that time don't want YouTubers who've never done a proper radio show before. It's clear Radio 1 are pushing Jack and Dean but just keep them on the Internet Takeover and doing videos for YouTube and the iPlayer channel. Hopefully this is just a once-off as Matt Edmondson's show is quite off the wall and fun compared to other weekend shows. Why not give some new talent a go on the Sunday show, though? They lost Pete Allison to Capital and they'll probably lose Jordan North to another station if they keep dodging the opportunities to sign new talent. Apart from Clara Amfo, who was the last true radio presenter who worked their way up and was given a shot by R1 at a young age?

I don't have a problem with Jack and Dean as such, but I agree with the lack of new 'radio' talent. Chris Moyles, Scott Mills, Greg James and even Nick Grimshaw have all had radio at the beginning and heart of their careers.

I can see Radio 1's strategy. Hiring YouTubers brings over a young audience, but I worry in the long-term future Gregs and Scotts aren't going to get a chance and we'll be left with people that radio is only a secondary career to them.

I can't understand why you're all complaining about this :D They are very funny! But how'd you know it's happening? The schedule doesn't seem go that far into the future?

Jacob, you have a lot to learn about this forum buddy! We're all "complaining" about this because they're not radio presenters, they're people who have no right just to become part of the radio industry.

Alas, we are all the ultimate nerd squad. We just know this kind of thing.

I can understand some of the Youtubes they have on the Internet Takeover show not belonging on radio, but they have as much right to be in the radio industry as anyone else. They're funny and know how to work the controls now and I think they are better presenters than some of the other presenters are. Just because radio wasn't they're first job choice doesn't mean they don't have a right to do it. If they're good, then why not.

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

I can understand some of the Youtubes they have on the Internet Takeover show not belonging on radio, but they have as much right to be in the radio industry as anyone else. They're funny and know how to work the controls now and I think they are better presenters than some of the other presenters are. Just because radio wasn't they're first job choice doesn't mean they don't have a right to do it. If they're good, then why not.

Nope, point is they're automatically accepted into the community, whereas everyone who is a proper presenter has to work hard to get to where they are - they can only "work the controls" because somebody else showed them how to do it. Dan & Phil were good (ish) on Sunday evenings (don't get me started with this Daniel P Carter nonsense), but with everyone else, the whole show is just a random shambles.

The BBC should do a competition to find the next big radio star. Basically they find people who are doing well on student and local radio and then get them to do one off shows and the public can vote on who like best and the winner gets a regular show on Radio 1 (probably early breakfast although weekends 10-1 might be better)

The BBC should do a competition to find the next big radio star. Basically they find people who are doing well on student and local radio and then get them to do one off shows and the public can vote on who like best and the winner gets a regular show on Radio 1 (probably early breakfast although weekends 10-1 might be better)

Yass! That's an excellent idea!

Reminds me of when Danny Howard won that Superstar DJ competition and a few months later got his own show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jnc3w

So I listened to them this weekend. They reminded me of Mark and Lard...

...in no way whatsoever.

Although either Jack or Dean (I forget which one's which) sounds a lot like either JK or Joel (I forget which one's which).

In terms of the show, it was awful. Poor and unoriginal content, unfunny, awkward and stilted chat with one of them laughing sycophantically at the others non-jokes. I hope these two never make it far on the schedule.

Look, I don't swear often, but they're utter shit. Lack of features (as was obvious in Dev's handovers "so what are you gonna do on Radio 1 today?" "er... well, my dad reviewed yesterday's show". Nowhere near as personable as Dan and Phil, unworthy of the six hours on Radio 1 that they "presented".

The best bit? When Sarah-Jane Crawford took over.

I agree they weren't as good as they normally are on their Monday show, but I still think we should give them a change, I imagine they were extremely nervous about doing a 3 hour daytime show on radio 1, cause I so would be. So just think of that next time they're on

Radio 1 is Where It Begins!

I agree they weren't as good as they normally are on their Monday show, but I still think we should give them a change, I imagine they were extremely nervous about doing a 3 hour daytime show on radio 1, cause I so would be. So just think of that next time they're on

Jacob, perhaps you're forgetting that they are paid by the BBC to provide radio shows that entertain. In all honesty, they've been working at Radio 1 for a good (or bad) few months now, presenting hourly radio shows every couple of weeks. The point is also that they're also pretty bad on their Monday slot too.

We want them out of Radio 1 before Ben Cooper thinks they're actually any good