Unofficial Mills

radio 1 audience plummets tolowest level in over a decade.Grimmy audience lowest ever

steve24

Alarm bells are ringing at radio 1 this morning with the latest RAJARs showing they have lost a million listeners with the breakfast show audience at its lowest point since Sara Coxs final 3 months, and Grimmys lowest ever audience There was already speculation about Grimmys future but these figures now make it hard for him to last beyond this year on breafast http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/21/radio-1-loses-1m-listeners-nick-grimshaw-bbc-4-extra-6-music

Let's not jump to conclusions. It's clear that listeners aren't tuning into radio like they used to, as the coming of Spotify, Deezer and that stupid one Kanye launched means that Radio 1's target audience is turning to their own tailored radio stations, without the music they dislike, or the chatting in between.

Also, it's worth noting that RAJAR isn't the most helpful for countless reasons.

I'm feed up of hearing Ben's excuse's saying that they are attracting younger audiences because at the end of the day he has lost (in the words of the Guardian) nearly a million listeners.

Possibly if he was in any other job then he may have been kicked out by now, take football managers for example!

I don't think Nick Grimshaw is simply up to the job, not to say he isn't up to working at Radio 1 but not there.

Moyles takes some replacing. It's been how long since he went and people still talk of him. I understand Radio 1 want to attract a younger audience but you'd have more chance of getting more listeners by stretching the other end of the age range. People who are 26 like me will have more chance of listening to the Radio than someone who's 12.

I feel too old for Grimshaw's show and most of Radio 1 in general, and have done for quite a while. The question is will Radio 1 push their age range up or Radio 2 plug the gap and bring theirs down?

on the grid.

And thats half of the problem, they are trying to attract an age range who don't generally listen to Radio to begin with. Its tricky.

Everyone slates Nick though, and he's doing a good job of it. They only ever publicise the Breakfast show when in fact Radio 1 is down to its lowest audience ever, so naturally the Breakfast shows audience will be decreased. Its not like his audience is down and all other shows remain the same.