Unofficial Mills

Adele Roberts to replace Gemma Cairney

fathomer90

- Adele Roberts new host of Radio 1's Early Breakfast Show

- Gemma Cairney appointed Radio 1's social action presenter, hosting The Surgery (Wednesdays, 9-10pm) alongside Dr Radha, as well as presenting special documentaries for Radio 1 and 1Xtra Stories (Tuesday, 9-10pm).

- Alex Haydn-Jones to leave Radio 1

Gemma Cairney, who currently hosts Radio 1’s Early Breakfast Show, will become Radio 1's social action presenter, hosting The Surgery (Wednesdays, 9-10pm) alongside Dr Radha, as well as presenting special documentaries for Radio 1 and 1Xtra Stories (Tuesday, 9-10pm).

On 1Xtra, new signing to the station, Jamz Supernova will present a new RnB weekly Saturday afternoon show (4-7pm) and 1Xtra's A.Dot, who joined the station in 2014, will become the new presenter of 1Xtra's 1-4pm weekend show.

Adele Roberts says: “This is a dream come true! I've absolutely loved every minute of working at 1Xtra and I'm now honoured to be part of the Radio 1 early morning crew, and I hope I can fill the headphones of the radio greats that have sat in that seat before. I know how incredible the listeners are and I can't wait to get started.â€

Jamz Supernova says: “I'm really happy and excited to officially be a part of the 1Xtra family and I can't wait to get the 1Xtra listeners ready for Saturday evening with a future fresh sound!â€

Gemma Cairney says: "I have always been humbled and inspired by the honesty and warmth of The Surgery, in many ways for me it's Radio 1 at its most magic. A safe space, where you can ask anything, talk freely about what's troubling you, what's on our minds and in our hearts. I'm ecstatic! To be the new host is a total honour.â€

Rhys Hughes, Head of Programmes, Radio 1 & 1Xtra says: “I’m delighted that Adele will be waking up the UK’s early risers on Radio 1’s Early Breakfast Show and I know that Gemma will bring a wealth of social action experience to her new role on The Surgery. With new signing Jamz Supernova, a new show dedicated to RnB and A.Dot becoming a bigger part of the station’s weekend schedule - this is an exciting look for 1Xtra.â€

The new schedule will take effect from early June.

Quite surprised at this. I could be wrong but I do wonder if it's something to do with her being snubbed from Fearne's show and has maybe decided enough's enough on daytime. I think if this was planned for a while they'd have announced it at the same time Fearne left.

I've never really been a Gemma Cairney fan if I'm honest, although I have warmed to her in recently months. I haven't heard a massive amount of Adele Roberts, but from what I have heard I'm sure she'll be great. She's been the stand-in presenter for ages so she'll fit right in.

Hoorah. This is wonderful news for fans of good radio everywhere, and confirms what we've always known, that Gemma is awful. So much for BC putting her on Early Breakfast to use it to showcase talent and creativity like Chris Moyles and Scott Mills.

Adele Roberts is not who I'd have expected to replace her, as the regular cover. I think this is the end of her R1 career as opposed to the start of it, considering she's 36, so alright for early breakfast when only 36 year old male truckers are listening, but I can't see her permanently being on daytime Radio 1 in the future.

Whilst I quite like Adele, and definitely prefer her to Gemma, I think it's a shame Ben Cooper hasn't taken the opportunity to bring in someone new from student/commercial radio. He really needs some succession plans for 5-8 years time when Grimmy, Greg and Mills are off. I was wondering the other day, how many more years has Dev got left in him? He's up there with the longest serving now, he's been with R1/1Xtra since 2002, and I'm starting to accept that he'll never make it back to daytime. I could see Matt Edmondson in either Scott or Greg's slot, but there are no new radio talents up and coming really, and Adele's appointment to early breakfast stops anybody new getting that slot for the next few years.

Delighted with this decision. So pleased to see Adele finally getting a shot on Radio 1. I've been a fan of hers for a while and she's very underrated and has fantastic warmth and humour. It would have been a travesty if she never got a permanent gig on R1 - she's a naturally talented broadcaster and it's great to see real radio people getting promoted (Adele, Clara, Annie) rather than TV presenters whose work has dried up (something which R1 were obsessed with for a while). It's great to see people who have worked their way up getting their big break.

Gemma Cairney has clearly reached a bit of a dead end in terms of her R1 career. Getting shafted from early breakfast (12.5 hours of radio a week) to just 2 is a clear demotion but I've always felt Gemma was better at doing documentaries and talking about social issues which matter to young people. She'll probably get to cover the 10am slot now as well. I've never enjoyed her daytime/ music shows, though, so I'm glad to see Adele taking over that slot.

The future is interesting- Grimmy, Clara and Greg will still be on daytime in 5 years time so either Matt or Alice will replace Scott (Ian Chaloner's appointment as her producer is interesting and could be seen as a sign she is being prepared for bigger things). Dev will be off in a few years- he's not daytime material. He's fine for a week but there's no way he's getting a daytime slot IMO, although he's likeable and a decent listen.

- Adele Roberts new host of Radio 1's Early Breakfast Show

- Gemma Cairney appointed Radio 1's social action presenter, hosting The Surgery (Wednesdays, 9-10pm) alongside Dr Radha, as well as presenting special documentaries for Radio 1 and 1Xtra Stories (Tuesday, 9-10pm).

- Alex Haydn-Jones to leave Radio 1

Gemma Cairney, who currently hosts Radio 1’s Early Breakfast Show, will become Radio 1's social action presenter, hosting The Surgery (Wednesdays, 9-10pm) alongside Dr Radha, as well as presenting special documentaries for Radio 1 and 1Xtra Stories (Tuesday, 9-10pm).

On 1Xtra, new signing to the station, Jamz Supernova will present a new RnB weekly Saturday afternoon show (4-7pm) and 1Xtra's A.Dot, who joined the station in 2014, will become the new presenter of 1Xtra's 1-4pm weekend show.

Adele Roberts says: “This is a dream come true! I've absolutely loved every minute of working at 1Xtra and I'm now honoured to be part of the Radio 1 early morning crew, and I hope I can fill the headphones of the radio greats that have sat in that seat before. I know how incredible the listeners are and I can't wait to get started.”

Jamz Supernova says: “I'm really happy and excited to officially be a part of the 1Xtra family and I can't wait to get the 1Xtra listeners ready for Saturday evening with a future fresh sound!”

Gemma Cairney says: "I have always been humbled and inspired by the honesty and warmth of The Surgery, in many ways for me it's Radio 1 at its most magic. A safe space, where you can ask anything, talk freely about what's troubling you, what's on our minds and in our hearts. I'm ecstatic! To be the new host is a total honour.”

Rhys Hughes, Head of Programmes, Radio 1 & 1Xtra says: “I’m delighted that Adele will be waking up the UK’s early risers on Radio 1’s Early Breakfast Show and I know that Gemma will bring a wealth of social action experience to her new role on The Surgery. With new signing Jamz Supernova, a new show dedicated to RnB and A.Dot becoming a bigger part of the station’s weekend schedule - this is an exciting look for 1Xtra.”

The new schedule will take effect from early June.

I di d hear a rumour Gemma was leaving earlies but I thought she was taking over the sunday slot.End of an era Aled leaving the Surgery.

Doesn' t look like Gemma has much of a future on Radio One does it! First she misses out on Fearnes show now she' axed from earlies !

Surprisng that an 'older' DJ is taking over from her though

PS Adele Roberts is doing earlies from mon april 27 for 2 weeks so not much more of Gemma to go !

Gemma insists she's thrilled about the new assignment but it's a clear demotion. Phil Taggart said the same thing (hate what happened to him) and so did Edith Bowman. Usually the running rule is the main cover doesn't get the permanent slot (Alice) but Adele's promotion throws that theory out the window.

Gemma obviously haven't worked out. Perhaps the aim of Ben was to put early breakfast age range down which I guess was higher than average because of truckers and farmers but that may have resulted in losing listeners. So they decided to assign the slot to slightly older but still 'urban' female presenter Adele which in my opinion is a great choice.