Unofficial Mills

Newsbeat: The Election Debates

Ant L

Anyone watching the Newsbeat debate? I think it's great seeing Radio 1 and 1Xtra having more of a presence on TV, and the brand expanding.

From a nerdy point of view (it is UM after all) I'm also liking the new logo and use of Dan Mumford's music. It seems the Newsbeat website and YouTube channel is relaunching on Thursday in time for the election too.

https://twitter.com/louisa_compton/status/584054214927745024

I watched it. I'm surprised at how many different mixes there are of the theme - did he over deliver and provide more cuts than the bid specified? I'm sensing the whole process may have been slightly ceremonial and fixed, with it always intended to go to Mumford, but that's beside the point.

I thought whilst awkward at times (the drawback to live TV debates like that I guess), it was a great programme, and flew the flag for Radio 1 Newsbeat very well. I'm especially impressed with Chris Smith With the News and how he took down that Tory MP who wouldn't answer the question directly - I think Chris is a valuable asset to Newsbeat with great and wide ranging skills and talents, from making cow based puns with Greg, to representing young people whilst standing up to a politician. Bravo Chris.

Chris Smith is the cream of the crop, he handles all situations well, has a great voice and is pretty willing to do anything and everything for the sake of the station (having a live chicken on his face during a news bulletin, having a stinkbomb thrown into his office, etc). Watched a little bit of the programme, couldn't help but think the new Newsbeat logo is a bit dry; the font choice is pretty bold and corporate.

Where do people think Chris Smith will go next?

NOWHERE. HE'S GOING NOWHERE. He'll stay reading the news on Greg's show forever. And ever. Amen.

He better not do a Chappers and decide that he wants to be a "serious journalist" doing "serious things". That thought keeps me up at night.

NOWHERE. HE'S GOING NOWHERE. He'll stay reading the news on Greg's show forever. And ever. Amen.

He better not do a Chappers and decide that he wants to be a "serious journalist" doing "serious things". That thought keeps me up at night.

Might be too late. He has covered 5 live before mainly up all night and the now defunct Saturday edition so imagine he will end up there

• 3 weeks later...

The Daily Mail are now jumping on Chris Smith With The News regarding the Ask the Leaders' programme with David Cameron.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051613/Radio-1-accused-leftist-hostility-childish-presenter-offers-Cameron-1-000-bet-not-win-election-repeatedly-interrupts-him.html

Chris has been just as gruelling to all the leaders, quite rightly so, but it's the audience that always make these things rather uncomfortable listening on Newsbeat. I didn't listen to the Ed Miliband one for that reason.

Ugh, how I hate the ignorant, sensationalising w*nkstain that is the Daily Mail.

I hate it when people accuse the BBC of bias - it's used as a last resort by failing causes like the Daily Mail and UKIP to try and justify hostility to their unacceptable opinions, when in reality the only people they have to blame for making them then stupid is themselves. They all disagree with the concept of things being done "for the greater good" like the BBC, so it's no surprise that they are so against it.

I've listened to all of the interviews so far, and I think Chris Smith did an excellent job. Cameron was dodging all the questions and being a slimy politician, so I think Chris was absolutely right to go on the attack. Politicians must be accountable and honest, and if it takes an aggressive interviewer to get anywhere close, then so be it. The Miliband interview was equally hostile, as Ed also dodged questions, was also slimy, and I thought he performed terribly (and this is coming from a raging leftie). Chris Smith did his job very well there as well, as he did in the Clegg and Wood Live Lounges.

There's a difference between bias in favour of a political party, and a bias in favour of honesty. So if Chris Smith is being accused of bias in favour of actually getting decent answers, he's guilty as charged. What a stupid article.

Now I am a big Chris Smith fan but I did think he overstepped the mark with David Cameron. I felt it tipped over the edge into being quite disrespectful and tasteless. I know they want to hype the crowd and have a fierce debate but it actually dissented into rudeness.

I think the audience were obviously ratted up by Newsbeat prior to the debate to be quite on the offensive, but the way they answered back the MPs and gave flippant responses was a bit immature.

Now I am a big Chris Smith fan but I did think he overstepped the mark with David Cameron. I felt it tipped over the edge into being quite disrespectful and tasteless. I know they want to hype the crowd and have a fierce debate but it actually dissented into rudeness.

I think the audience were obviously ratted up by Newsbeat prior to the debate to be quite on the offensive, but the way they answered back the MPs and gave flippant responses was a bit immature.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on exact things he said. Would you be prepared to share the comments you felt inappropriate? :)

I agree, I felt a slight feeling of bias towards Cameron.

When is the next debate?