Unofficial Mills

Is Scott sounding less slick as of late?

OohErr

I don't think people realise just how slick Scott is. He sets such high standards that when he makes even the smallest mistakes, it's more noticeable. He is the only Radio 1 presenter who can introduce the news properly IMO and as mentioned, the "whooooos" are done live because he controls the amount of echo and the loudness of them varies. Also, things like Bamboleo Wednesday sound really tight - the use of the Delia clips and how he reads out texts are timed perfectly within the instrumental bits.

Also, in terms of production and use of jingles, his show is probably the most interesting. He's the only daytime DJ who still uses the Pure Tonic sweepers (which sound brilliant) and he varies up the idents and beds so it sounds fresh and isn't repetitive. Grimmy's show isn't particularly exciting production-wise and Fearne and Greg mainly just use the "Where It Begins" idents, one or two of the generic station ones and one or two of their DJ idents.

He is also the best DJ in terms of the ramps (before the third song of the hour) because most presenters tend to just do a "that was, this is, here's what's coming up" link while Scott tends to give some content and get a funny bit in before the vocal starts. Plus he usually nails the vocal on them. Oh, and he has the best taste in beds. *NERD MONOLOGUE COMPLETE*

I agree with all of that, I do love his bed taste. I love Dev's cheesy beds as well. You're right, but he's definitely sounding worse than usual in terms of back timing, vocal hitting and the podcast ramps.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being over fussy. Love you Scott

• 1 month later...

I agree about the imaging. There's so many old voiceovers that creep through on the breakfast show, Mills or not. They obviously didn't make any generic breakfast show imaging when the four new voices came in last year. The beds and opener that Grimmy use still have the old voiceovers too.

I know these things are so nerdy but the breakfast show imaging sounds inconsistent with the rest of the station, and that's supposed to be the number one show. Too much of a mish-mash between old and new.

Broadly I think the handful of Where It Begins idents are getting repetitive too, and there's pretty much no point in the Pure Jingles idents existing considering it's only really Scott and Dev that use them.

• 2 weeks later...
new opener for the Breakfast Show.

I heard that this morning too, put me off a bit humming along not going to lie. I noticed they've made it all shorter as well, is this to cut down on the amount of talking in the show? Or at least at the start anyway!

I heard that this morning too, put me off a bit humming along not going to lie. I noticed they've made it all shorter as well, is this to cut down on the amount of talking in the show? Or at least at the start anyway!

Listened to it this morning. Sounds pretty sloppy if you ask me; to say they hired a full orchestra to do the bed and then to just cut and slice bits seems ridiculous (and it sounds rushed). The ident at the end that's slopped over the end of the bed is sure to cause Grimmy some confusion (he'll talk over it), and it just doesn't do it justice. I liked waking up to that orchestral music, I felt like a king or something.

On the new breakfast opener, I feel like it's not a bad thing that they've shortened it because on the few occasions I've listened to Grimmy and heard his opening link I can't help but notice that he says nothing in it, other than the usual DJ crap "Thanks to Gemma, this is Nick Grimshaw on Radio 1 doing the Radio 1 Breakfast Show, here on Radio 1".

From an imaging standpoint it's edited horribly throughout, from the whoosh at the beginning trying to cover up the opening to the sharp cut 10 seconds in and the bit after the voiceover.

On topic though, I can't comment on Scott because I haven't heard the live show much and I haven't heard any cock ups when I have listened, I mostly listen via the free download (download it for free).

From an imaging standpoint it's edited horribly throughout, from the whoosh at the beginning trying to cover up the opening to the sharp cut 10 seconds in and the bit after the voiceover.

I totally agree here, you can hear where it's been sliced, stands out so much. I've decided to take on the challenge of Re-editing the opener again and see if I can do a better job.