Unofficial Mills

The sound of Newsbeat 2015!

bensteele

I hate the sonic logo, I'd go back to the one from the old 00s Newsbeat packages (& most generic daytime beds at the time). It just sounds a bit cheap and 2010ish to me, I think the general idea is a lot nicer though, glad they have got rid of "Listen, watch, share". The ramp into it sounds a lot slicker & it's nothing too loud and punchy, it's closer to the old packages where it's something subtle in the background.

I know newsreaders shouldn't be expected to be technical geniuses but at the end of certain bulletins they have a bed to trail the main lunchtime/drive programmes but then play another stab and it sounds very clunky, replace that with a ramp and it could sound very slick.

So after a few days, I'm getting used to it, and I've got some more refined opinions.

The in: I think it's a great in, very authoritittitittve (as Comedy Dave once said) but the little sound effect at the start could have a bit more of an impact. Thank goodness it doesn't say "This is BBC Radio 1- where it begins" though.

The main news bed: It's good, I like it, but it does sound a bit entertainment newsy/Capital Reportsy instead of serious BBC Newsy.

The sports bed: My favourite I think. Sounds more newsy, and the piano really makes it, a great addition.

The weather bed: Again, sounds very good, I like it.

The out stabs: Not so sure about these, the sonic ID isn't so strong, and it sounds a bit clunky, especially because it has a rather strange rhythm (the beds are in 4/4, but the long out stab has five beats before the sonic, when you're expecting four). Greg struggled with that yesterday when he was trying to sing "NEWS-BEAT!", and he kept coming in a beat early.

Overall though, I like it. It's like the Newsbeat packages of the past - particularly reminiscent of the 2001 package made by Music4, which was great (as were all packages 2000-2005, the 2007 was a bit crap, the 2009 was brilliant, the 2011 was meh).

This new theme is awful, as I predicted. I hate it. September saw a refresh of the station's idents, and v3 of the Newsbeat jingle. At the time I didn't like this one bit, and am still not keen, although only a small selection of the stations idents are good. I've since warmed to the v3 Newsbeat jingle and decided I prefer it to v2. But what has been introduced on Monday doesn't fit into the station at all, it's like going back in time to a jingle I'd expect a decade ago! It also sounds like something off a gameshow!!

Maybe it was time to ditch the "Listen, watch, share" slogan. But in my eyes the previous jingle produced by Koink was a successful and professional piece which is more than can be said for this new jingle. Why the BBC never turned to Koink again is beyond me. Or maybe they did, this was a kind of audition to see who could come up with the best.

Clicking fingers might work in chart music...not in a Newsbeat jingle though.

I never liked that much. Much preferred "digital, FM, online", it made so much more sense and just sounded better.

Digital, FM, Online isn't really a practical slogan in radio today, considering that the FM frequency will soon be turned off on favour of digital, and that social media played a partial role in the "Listen, watch, share" slogan.

This new theme is awful, as I predicted. I hate it. September saw a refresh of the station's idents, and v3 of the Newsbeat jingle. At the time I didn't like this one bit, and am still not keen, although only a small selection of the stations idents are good. I've since warmed to the v3 Newsbeat jingle and decided I prefer it to v2. But what has been introduced on Monday doesn't fit into the station at all, it's like going back in time to a jingle I'd expect a decade ago! It also sounds like something off a gameshow!!

Maybe it was time to ditch the "Listen, watch, share" slogan. But in my eyes the previous jingle produced by Koink was a successful and professional piece which is more than can be said for this new jingle. Why the BBC never turned to Koink again is beyond me. Or maybe they did, this was a kind of audition to see who could come up with the best.

Clicking fingers might work in chart music...not in a Newsbeat jingle though.

Digital, FM, Online isn't really a practical slogan in radio today, considering that the FM frequency will soon be turned off on favour of digital, and that social media played a partial role in the "Listen, watch, share" slogan.

The BBC had commissioning documents available freely on the internet, so anyone could "audition" to be the new sound of Newsbeat. Koink will always be a cut above the rest, and it's mainly the current intro that annoys me so much.

• 1 month later...