Unofficial Mills

R1 Generic Beds

OohErr

During the Dev-Matt Edmondson handover yesterday, they were talking about the different beds they use from the R1 beds library. They named a few, which I typed into Google in hope of finding something, but to no avail. The names I heard were:

• Driving Instructor
  • Kick Flicks
  • Filth Bags

Matt seemed to think that they were made in-house at R1, which I suppose is possible because they've done a few things themselves, but it seems more likely that they came from a library like most of their beds- the question is: which one(s)? I've attached a clip of the chat because they played a few as well.

I'd quite like to know where the current ones come from, even though I don't like them much. The quirky beds they had around 2008-2009 were my favourite of recent years, these ones are okay but they're overused- no presenters seem to have their own distinctive beds anymore, which is shame.

Good luck people!

Dev and Matt talk about the Radio 1 Beds 07062014.mp3

Nice post.

I had a search around my usual locations and didn't find anything either :(

I liked 08/09 ones too, I think I have pretty much all of those beds that were used back then.

I really like a few beds that are used on air at the moment, I particularly like the one normally used on Scott's show when he talks about whats coming up on TV/Radio that night.

I liked the beds they used for Even More Music Month, and then Scott continued to use for a few months, they were good. It just sounds wrong hearing Scott talking over the generic beds, because his show is anything but generic- I've always thought of beds as the best way to make your show special , which Scott's show definitely is.

Could it genuinely be the case that the beds are made in house these days? It seems unlikely, but that could also explain the lack of quality of late.

And may I ask what "the usual locations" are? ;p

I liked the beds they used for Even More Music Month, and then Scott continued to use for a few months, they were good. It just sounds wrong hearing Scott talking over the generic beds, because his show is anything but generic- I've always thought of beds as the best way to make your show special , which Scott's show definitely is.

Could it genuinely be the case that the beds are made in house these days? It seems unlikely, but that could also explain the lack of quality of late.

And may I ask what "the usual locations" are? ;p

And may I ask what "the usual locations" are?

May I ask too :)

I've never understood why the libraries beds come from are so top secret, it's all there if you look hard enough. Perhaps it's so the ones lucky enough to find them have something to trade with in the hope the other person hasn't found it themselves!

Nice post.

I really like a few beds that are used on air at the moment, I particularly like the one normally used on Scott's show when he talks about whats coming up on TV/Radio that night.

I love that one as well. I also like the one that Annie Mac was using for the first link of her 10am shows this week.

It's probably interesting to note that they did have a very talented in-house music producer (Dan Mumford) who did make quite a lot of music/beds for R1, but he's making music for another radio production company now.

Links

https://soundcloud.com/danmumford/bbc-radio-1-music-showreel#t=0:10

Includes:

Ten Minute Takeover Theme

Talkover Bed 1

Talkover Bed 2

Comic Relief Theme / Promo

Greg James Ramp 1

Greg James Ramp 2

Greg James Ramp 3

Portfolio Website

http://www.danielmumfordmusic.com/

So they could be right, or they've commissioned music producers to make some unique beds.

• 5 months later...

Gemma and Grimmy were naming a few more beds at about 06:20 this morning, from their Christmas collection. Again, not much a Google search can bring up:

• Bearded Beats
  • Snow Covered Skies
  • White Out
  • Sky Lights Up
  • Candy Caned
  • Santa's Coming
  • Bass (Jump/Junk?)

Here are the names though, in case anyone was interested, or in case they can find them.

Hi all,

As I'm sure you're aware (a couple were asking), some of the Radio 1 beds come from a site called bedsandbeats.com and Emergency Production Music, both websites that provide free beds to the radio industry, providing that they have a licensed PPL & PRS number. I'm aware that Scott Mills' beds come from a mixture of the two, and I'm willing to share the official versions (without vocals, watermarks or effects).