Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 New Imaging

r4ll

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not heard them on-air. That's two updates that have effectively been a waste of time.

Even the older idents aren't getting played as often during the day as they used to. On Fearne's show there's an ident at the beginning followed by the same ID which gets used exclusively afterwards. It's all sounding very stale.

Scott's show is the only daytime show that has a bit of variation with IDs.

I know this all ultra-geeky and all, but imaging makes a big difference to the sound of a station.

Still not heard them on-air. That's two updates that have effectively been a waste of time.

Even the older idents aren't getting played as often during the day as they used to. On Fearne's show there's an ident at the beginning followed by the same ID which gets used exclusively afterwards. It's all sounding very stale.

Scott's show is the only daytime show that has a bit of variation with IDs.

I know this all ultra-geeky and all, but imaging makes a big difference to the sound of a station.

Huw plays different ID's first and then used a overplayed "This is Huw Stephens on BBC Radio 1" after the news and at the hour.

Greg never uses them, but I can't remember a time when he has, and neither does Grimmy because he's got his own imaging (but it seems a bit strange that there would be none of the station sound on either of the flagship shows). I think Matt Edmondson plays them every half hour, as do Scott and Dev. I still find it weird that they wouldn't put on the new ones, they've paid for them after all.

I hope they're not phasing them out, they're good (but I did love the 1tros, was never so keen on the 1maging). But if they are, what would they be replacing them with? I haven't seen any invitations for bids on the BBC Commissioning website, and at any rate, they should get new news jingles before another new sweeper package! I'm bored of the current ones, they were average to start with, but they're really boring me after 3 years! Get some new more exciting ones, or at least remix the old ones to make them more funky and edgy.

I remember a time (not really, but I know it used to be the case) when there would be new news jingles every year! Ah well... Maybe in my anoraky dreams...

Huw plays different ID's first and then used a overplayed "This is Huw Stephens on BBC Radio 1" after the news and at the hour.

Another problem is there's very little variation in the presenter ID's anyway, there's only about two different ones for each so they get boring very quickly. Other weird observations, Dev never seems to play the ones with his name on, just the generic "BBC Radio 1" ones. I like the "You're listening to the Matt Edmondson Show on BBC Radio 1" ones Matt has, but he barely uses them anymore anyway. They give his show a more distinctive sound.

Something I noticed during Access All Areas was that the DJs now manually play the segues (jingle-song-jingle-song) after the news. Whereas a while ago I think the segues were pre-mixed so all the DJs/producers had to do was press play on the pre-mixed track. I guess the DJs/producers aren't too arsed about what IDs they play and out of habit probably play a selection of just a few through the duration of the show.

I do agree that if they have the selection of IDs they should use them, I hate how Fearne's show uses the same jingles all the time, it just adds to the staleness that her show seems to be going through of late. Scott's show is consistently sounding great with great imaging.

What I'm wondering now is when WILL there be new news jingles? It's been three years, and they're sounding boring (don't know if it's wishful thinking, but I did notice they didn't use many of the regular news beds on the 5:45 Newsbeat the other day). They need a remix at least.

I agree with the "Digital, Fm, Online" news bed statement, the 2 Music4 news beds before this current one were the best they've had in my opinion. I also liked how they'd change the voice overs on the news when it was big weekend, They don't do that on this new one.

Also I've noticed that the Free Downloads are still using Holly and David on the intros. Did the new guys never do the free downloads? Can't say I've listened to them in the past few years.

The 2007 ones weren't so good, they lacked punch, but when they were remixed for 2009, they were great- I think my favourite news package in recent years. I liked the ones they used for most of 2004 as well, and the 2005/2006 were very good, but 2009's got to be the best for me.

The current R1 voiceovers never did podcast intros, I don't know why. It's Holly and David on The Scott Mills Daily, as well as The Matt Edmondson Show. They used the old old voiceovers (Jody and someone, c.2007) on the podcasts for a while during the Holly and David era as well.

Now I thought the 2007 ones had a great intro, there was a good punch at the start, but the rest of it was a bit bland. When they got Holly on it with Jody it sounded a lot better! But yeah once it got remixed for 2009 it was top notch!

No idea, I prefer Holly and David/Jody to the current ones if I'm honest.

They used the old old voiceovers (Jody and someone, c.2007) on the podcasts for a while during the Holly and David era as well.

If I'm right that someone is Becky (Here's a artist page for her)

Now I thought the 2007 ones had a great intro, there was a good punch at the start, but the rest of it was a bit bland. When they got Holly on it with Jody it sounded a lot better! But yeah once it got remixed for 2009 it was top notch!

No idea, I prefer Holly and David/Jody to the current ones if I'm honest.

I think the 2007 ones were too slow, it felt like they're just plodding along. By 2009, they were much faster, and the intro went straight in. Agree that Holly and David are better voiceovers than scouse girl and Mike (https://soundcloud.com/mikewooller).

Does anyone know who the

scouse girl
is?

I agree, proof is in the fact that they are still used on the station every now and again like in the free downloads, resident DJ on Gemma's (and Dev's old) show. And I'm sure it was Holly on the countdown numbers for that 100 All Time Downloads show the other week.

I believe the current female voiceover is Katie Bookless.

https://twitter.com/KatieBookless

She keeps herself very quiet online doesn't she? I was trying to stalk her, but her Twitter is private and she has no website with demos or anything like most voice artists do. How did she land a Radio 1 gig with virtually no online presence? I was under the impression Radio 1 thought online content was the future... ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like they've started to use the new imaging! Heard one of the cuts on Dev's show today!

Just listened on the iPlayer. Sounds like a new voiceover at the very end? She seems to be used in conjunction with the current female.

Scott played a whole load of new idents earlier too I notice.

New IDs on Gemma's show too.

Are you talking about the Pure Jingles sweepers or the "This is- Gemma Cairney- BBC Radio 1" things? I quickly listened back to her show from yesterday and I couldn't hear any sweepers in the expected places (TOH/half hour), but I did hear some name ID's that I don't think I've heard before.

EDIT: Never mind, I get you.