Unofficial Mills

Weekend Line-Up?

BlueSkies

Does anyone else think that the weekend line-up may see some changes soon? With it currently being an all male line-up, I would think they would be keen to put a female into the line-up soon.

If so, anyone have any ideas who or which slot? Wouldn't mind seeing Adele Roberts getting a permanent slot. Or maybe even move Fearne over from daytime (let Alice replace her) as she doesn't seem to be doing her show much lately.

The issue is that now, in my opinion, the weekend line-up has never been stronger, except there are no female DJs which will eventually get Radio 1 into diversity problems. Give the line-up half a year, I say, and then let Huw go because he's been on weekends the longest. Adele Roberts... maybe. Fearne Cotton would be a good move given recent controversy, except neither of those two I think fit very well into the weekend line-up. Jen Long or Phil Taggart would be perfect to replace Huw. Or, instead, move Annie Mac to Dance Anthems.

Matt Edmondson won't leave until called to replace Scott Mills. Dev may move to replace Greg James one day. Huw Stephens to replace Zane?

The issue is that now, in my opinion, the weekend line-up has never been stronger, except there are no female DJs which will eventually get Radio 1 into diversity problems. Give the line-up half a year, I say, and then let Huw go because he's been on weekends the longest. Adele Roberts... maybe. Fearne Cotton would be a good move given recent controversy, except neither of those two I think fit very well into the weekend line-up. Jen Long or Phil Taggart would be perfect to replace Huw. Or, instead, move Annie Mac to Dance Anthems.

Matt Edmondson won't leave until called to replace Scott Mills. Dev may move to replace Greg James one day. Huw Stephens to replace Zane?

Diversity problems? What rubbish. Annie mac moving to dance anthems would be a backwards move

james_ryder.png

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Dev will be on weekends for long- I reckon it's more of a placeholder like when Scott did weekends for the first few months of 2004. I think Dev will replace Scott when he leaves (probably next year), instead of Matt Edmondson (after all, the regular cover never gets a show permanently), who will stay on weekends for a while. I agree with Dawntreader, Huw can go whenever because his show doesn't seem to be going anywhere, he should stick to evenings.

I don't think the weekend line-up has ever been worse - I don't really bother listening any more.

Dev - I've never really liked, still sounds very amateurish.

Matt Edmondson - good, can see him moving to weekdays.

Huw Stephens - beyond boring, does not suit daytime in the slightest. Why he replaced the brilliant Sara Cox is baffling - probably Radio 1 again going with the idea that younger presenters are automatically more relevant / appealing to the audience.

Danny Howard - not bad, quite like the show.

Jameela Jamil - pretty bad.

Dan & Phil - painful to listen to.

I've been one of Dev's fans since he started on weekend breakfast the first time round. The amateurishness is part of his act, he is the self proclaimed "ropey DJ" but if you actually listen to his show, it is very slick, with the pips on the hour, the backtiming usually spot on, and he is one of the few DJs on Radio 1 that actually knows how to introduce the news properly (the King of Pedantry strikes again).

I have to admit the features on his weekend breakfast show are bland- Sports Stars is just one of Edith's weekend breakfast features with a different name, Whos-Beat is just another guessing game, but his Early Breakfast features were really funny, the kind of ridiculousness that works at that time of day- Decode the Load and Super Bad Girls to name a few (they were so good that Gemma, who I've never been a fan of, can't be bothered to come up with her own features and just does all of his). He is also very entertaining, and interacts with texters well.

Overall Dev is a really good DJ, and I think his Radio 1 career will just blossom slightly later, like Scott's did (he'd been on Radio 1 six years and was 30 before he got a good show, Dev's been on Radio 1 for five and is still only 29).

Sorry for the double post, my thoughts on the rest of the weekends:

The Matt Edmondson Show- I think the show has lost it's edge since the Wednesday night days. The return of Chris Cox as producer has helped, and it's got dramatically better compared to last year, but it's still not the same as it used to be. I don't think Matt's style suits regular shows, he sounds much too forced to be chatting to me. It suited the comedy show on Wednesday nights perfectly though. I think he'll be on weekends for a while.

Huw Stephens- I'm fairly indifferent about Huw. I don't really listen to his show, but his daytime cover is nothing special.

Danny Howard- I'm not a huge fan of dance music so don't listen, but I'm sure he's good at what he does.

Jameela Jamil- Don't listen to the chart much either, when I've heard it she sounds very forced and uninteresting.

Dan and Phil- I've only heard them on other shows (like RONR with Scott), but they annoy me. They're just internet nerds who think a cat playing the piano is still funny (WHOOOOOOOOOOO!) along with other HILLARIOUS stuff that's SO RANDOM (not)! As other people have said, they are not radio people and don't deserve to be on Radio 1.

Thinking about it, I'm in no position to judge most of these shows because I never listen to them. Oh well!

I think Dance Anthems is on far too early in the day. I think Radio 1 should adopt the following model.

1600-1900: A new presenter to replace Danny (possibly Pete Allison?)

1900-2100: Mistajam

2100-2300: Dance Anthems with Danny Howard

2300-0700: As per existing line-up

I think Dance Anthems is on far too early in the day. I think Radio 1 should adopt the following model.

1600-1900: A new presenter to replace Danny (possibly Pete Allison?)

1900-2100: Mistajam

2100-2300: Dance Anthems with Danny Howard

2300-0700: As per existing line-up

Dance anthems in the middle of 1xtra night doesn't make sense

james_ryder.png

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone else think that the weekend line-up may see some changes soon? With it currently being an all male line-up, I would think they would be keen to put a female into the line-up soon.

If so, anyone have any ideas who or which slot? Wouldn't mind seeing Adele Roberts getting a permanent slot. Or maybe even move Fearne over from daytime (let Alice replace her) as she doesn't seem to be doing her show much lately.

Sadly I think the fact that she's 35 means Adele is maybe a bit too old to get her own daytime show on radio one now,although I think she might be promoted to 5 days a week on one extra and will continue to be used a lot for stand in work on radio one. Alice levine could easily replace Huw Stephens though, but I suspect it will be someone trendy like Sarah Jane Crawford. I think there will be changes in september. Don't quote me on that though

Sadly I think the fact that she's 35 means Adele is maybe a bit too old

I've not heard much of Adele - mainly the odd cover but I've always found her to be good, when she did weekend breakfast back last year it felt like a voice of reason before work on a Sunday. From listening I'd never put her at 35, but then as long as I enjoy the show and the music that shouldn't matter!