Unofficial Mills

Grimmy Gets Breakfast Contract Extension till 2019

BlueSkies

http://www.nme.com/news/radio-1/75956

Nick Grimshaw has been given a new two-year contract extension to stay on as the host of Radio 1’s breakfast show, according to a report.

A story in The Sun On Sunday stated that the extension means Grimshaw will stay as breakfast show presenter until 2019. It quoted a Radio 1 source as saying: “Nick’s got into his stride now.â€

Since taking over from Chris Moyles in September 2012, Grimshaw initially endured falling ratings. His listenership figures in May 2013 of 5.83 million were the breakfast show’s lowest since 2003. However, they have now climbed so that his average of 6.29 million is the same as Moyles’ first year as breakfast show host.

Last week (March 3), Grimshaw was taken to hospital after swallowing glass in his drink while on air, but escaped unhurt. His predecessor Moyles admitted last month of trying to avoid paying £1 million in tax by claiming he was working as a second-hand car salesman.

Well done to him if this is actually true! Honestly don't think Greg would suit the slot, he's not quite there! Think Grimmy needs a bit of a change to his format but he is there!

Agree with this. Grimmy is naturally very good at just speaking. His links are very tight and good quality. He can make a story about taking puppy for a walk incredibly funny. He does need a new feature though....!

Well done to him! His shows are sounding much better than this time last year. I don't agree with the comments saying that a new production team is needed as Matt, Fiona and Ian are doing just fine. I think they need to improve their features though.

Just out of interest, when does Scott's contract expire? I really hope that R1 bosses have the sense to give him at least a two year extension!

I honestly dont think Scott is going to leave any time soon. Radio 1 is so age focussed but his show is just as applicable to 15-29 year olds as any of the other presenters, if not more so. Its very dynamic and very youthful.

I agree with you. When his contract was last renewed, I thought that would probably be the last after the move from drivetime, but the show is sounding brilliant recently. I think the permanent addition of Chris was a great move, as I think he has helped make the show sound younger. Hopefully it will be another 3 year extension next year for afternoons.