Unofficial Mills

Should Scott Move To Breakfast?

radio1fan

Nick Grimshaw will have been doing the breakfast show for 2 years in September and listeners will have gotten bored of his show by then ( he hasn't really had any good new features for a while) . While he might stay for a while longer, I don't think Ben Cooper would want someone doing it for 8 years like Moyles did! And he quite likes scott and in particular Innuendo Bingo! So why not have scott do it for at least till his contract expires. Nick would do Scott's show. I have quite liked The Scott Mills Show format and when scott covers the breakfast show it has worked really well! Tell me what you think about my idea!

Nick Grimshaw will have been doing the breakfast show for 2 years in September and listeners will have gotten bored of his show by then ( he hasn't really had any good new features for a while) . While he might stay for a while longer, I don't think Ben Cooper would want someone doing it for 8 years like Moyles did! And he quite likes scott and in particular Innuendo Bingo! So why not have scott do it for at least till his contract expires. Nick would do Scott's show. I have quite liked The Scott Mills Show format and when scott covers the breakfast show it has worked really well! Tell me what you think about my idea!

I love the idea, but Scott has already said he would not want to do breakfast- he said its to much pressure. Grimmy Is doing really well at the moment, and Scott thinks that Grimmy is doing well too! The next move for Breakfast is Greg James.

Scott doesn't want breakfast and I think the show is perfect right now. Whenever he covers breakfast, he really does show what a great breakfast presenter he would have been though. Such a shame that the slot didn't become available 4/5 years ago.

Personally, I don't listen to the breakfast show because I can't stand Grimshaw by himself and I think the show severely lacks in good features and entertaining points of discussion. Personally, I think Annie Mac needs to co-host the show (even for 2/3 days a week). I actually think Grimmy is great when he's with Sara Cox or Annie - he sounds relaxed and can be quite funny and likeable when with them.) Also, their Sunday night show was brilliant.

I also think he needs a new production team as Fincham is weak and between him, Fiona & Ian Chaloner, there seems to be a lack of truly great ideas. For me, that's another reason why Greg should move to breakfast. His production team of Laura, Pippa & Travis are fantastic. Imagine Greg, Laura & Chris Smith as on-air voices with Pippa & Travis as Assistant Producers. That would be a brilliant breakfast show.

I can see R1 in 3 years looking like :

04:00 = Pete Allison

06:30 = Greg James

10:00 = Alice Levine

13:00 = Matt Edmondson/ Dev with Chris Stark ( Scott's irreplaceable though IMO and Matt and Dev just don't have the same rapport with him. Scott brings out the best in Chris.)

16:00 = Nick Grimshaw

19:00 = Zane Lowe

22:00 = Phil Taggart

I like the idea of this negotiation between keeping Grimshaw on breakfast and allowing him a co-host. By no means is it to suggest he is weak but... I really don't want Ben Cooper rushing in Greg James right now. Grimshaw should be given a chance, and whilst I agree that some of his shows aren't up to standard I think Annie Mac could really save it. Why not?! I think the Radio 1 audience has become accustomed to solo hosts for breakfast and the zoo format which was employed by Chris Moyles. Must I remind you that in the eighties breakfast was co-hosted!

As long as the figures for grimmys show are near the 6 million mark he's safe on breakfast.He probably won't stay anywhere near as long as Moyles of course but he'll probably be there another couple of years at least .Sadly I think Scotts chances of hosting it are gone but he'll probably be back in april when Grimmy takes his next holiday

As much as I would like to see Scott do it, it won't happen!

Ifmi was Ben cooper I would instantly move Fincham, he's not really suitable! Grimmy IS a great presenter just needs a strong production team to support him and his abilities! A co-host could instantly re-invent the show just like on 1xtra.. Could be anyone from stark to Mac, or dev or even a late night presenter, anyone to add some enthusiasm and ideas to the show!!

hello

Finchham would be good on Greg's show, because he already has pippa and then he will have 2 members of the chris moyles production team!

That would be good, mainly because Greg needs to become the new Chris Moyles in a way, because he is following Chris' path of shows , early breakfast, drive time and when Grimmy goes or gets a co host, breakfast!

Scott won't get breakfast now. I think he'll remain in the afternoon slot, hopefully with a contract renewal to keep him there for another few years.

In terms of Grimmy, the show has definitely improved, but for the flagship Radio 1 show, it is still seriously lacking. Either a change in production is needed, or a swap of Grimmy and Greg. I think the latter could happen sometime this year, depending on how RAJAR's go.

I used to like Fincham on Moyles' show, but I think it was a bit of a mistake to move him to breakfast producer so quickly! To go from AP on breakfast to producer of the 22:00 slot to producer of breakfast in the space of a few months was too much of a change too quickly, especially considering he was going to be the producer of a brand new breakfast show. I like Matt, but I think Radio 1 have made a mistake of promoting him too quickly, and perhaps he would have been better to going to be the producer of a different daytime show first.

I still think that Greg's team would be more suitable on breakfast. They seem to be more of a 'team'. Perhaps they're waiting for Greg to be completely 'ready' for breakfast before they move him.

Like you say, there does seem to be a similar pattern of Moyles' Radio 1 career and Greg's. Is Nick going to be on breakfast for around 3 years then like Sara before a swap? We'll see. I do agree though that a better production team with clearer roles, and a second presenter (Annie would be perfect - their evening show used to be really good!) would improve things a lot. At least Radio 1 have finally realised that listening to a team having banter between themselves on breakfast is more what people want to hear, although more of a team feel needs to be implemented.

I've never quite understood why the Breakfast show has so many people working on it. It has Nick (obviously), Matt, Fiona, Ian and Amy (the TA) plus a newsreader. It was exactly the same when Moyles hosted it. Moyles, Dave, Rachael, Aled, Matt and 2 newsreaders.

I also don't understand Ian's role on the show. Most days he strolls in at 0830 except when Matt or Fiona are absent meaning he is there from 0630. Does he work behind the scenes on other daytime shows?

If Greg was to take over breakfast, this is what I'd do with the schedule. Firstly he would cover Grimmy during summer and then take over in September.

Then I would remove Gemma from early breakfast (after she starts). , put her on Sunday morning 10-1PM with Matt doing Saturday. Get a new male to do weekend breakfast, put Dev back on earlies! Greg's show would be done by Nick!

Scott's effectively out of the running for Breakfast now, which is a shame. Great cover presenter though, long may that last. Afternoons are the best place for him, as that slot likely has an older audience who aren't at school etc; Hopefully his contract will be renewed for a couple more years for that slot, then here's what I want to happen.

Breakfast (September 2014) - Greg James - He's been primed for this slot with his progression, Earlies > Afternoons > Drive, Breakfast is the next slot for him. Chris Smith and Laura would complete the 'on air' team, in a proper zoo format.

Mid Mornings - Alice Levine - I love her cover, and I think she has a very bright future at Radio 1. Fearne Cotton can move to a weekend slot or leave, I don't mind either way. There needs to be a drastic shift in production on this slot too... 'Send me 3 words about the track of the day' does not a good feature make.

Afternoons - Matt Edmonson - Stylistically the only presenter who could take over from Scott, and with the right set of features I think he could be great. Chris Stark would do well to stick around as a contributor in this slot.

Drivetime - Nick Grimshaw - Cox/Moyles style swap, I think Nick would be much better suited to Drivetime than he is breakfast.

Any thoughts?

Scott's effectively out of the running for Breakfast now, which is a shame. Great cover presenter though, long may that last. Afternoons are the best place for him, as that slot likely has an older audience who aren't at school etc; Hopefully his contract will be renewed for a couple more years for that slot, then here's what I want to happen.

Breakfast (September 2014) - Greg James - He's been primed for this slot with his progression, Earlies > Afternoons > Drive, Breakfast is the next slot for him. Chris Smith and Laura would complete the 'on air' team, in a proper zoo format.

Mid Mornings - Alice Levine - I love her cover, and I think she has a very bright future at Radio 1. Fearne Cotton can move to a weekend slot or leave, I don't mind either way. There needs to be a drastic shift in production on this slot too... 'Send me 3 words about the track of the day' does not a good feature make.

Afternoons - Matt Edmonson - Stylistically the only presenter who could take over from Scott, and with the right set of features I think he could be great. Chris Stark would do well to stick around as a contributor in this slot.

Drivetime - Nick Grimshaw - Cox/Moyles style swap, I think Nick would be much better suited to Drivetime than he is breakfast.

Any thoughts?

Completely agree with your suggestions.

Definitely Alice Levine on mid-mornings. She has really surprised me just how good she is. An excellent presenter who knows her music, and she also comes across as very likeable. She couldn't be more suitable for that slot.

Matt Edmondson I can see maybe doing drivetime, and Dev having the afternoon slot, as I think if Grimmy loses breakfast, I don't think he will stick around at Radio 1.

But definitely Greg doing breakfast! He is much more suitable, so is the rest of his team. On the subject of Laura, is she returning to Radio 1 after having her baby? As Pippa has now taken over as producer.

If Greg was to move to breakfast, an additional producer and his current team would be needed, which would work out perfect for Laura's return. The Greg James Show with Pippa and Laura as day/show producer (or whichever way round), AP as Travis and Chris Smith as newsreader with a zoo style format would be perfect for breakfast.

Completely agree with your suggestions.

Definitely Alice Levine on mid-mornings. She has really surprised me just how good she is. An excellent presenter who knows her music, and she also comes across as very likeable. She couldn't be more suitable for that slot.

Matt Edmondson I can see maybe doing drivetime, and Dev having the afternoon slot, as I think if Grimmy loses breakfast, I don't think he will stick around at Radio 1.

But definitely Greg doing breakfast! He is much more suitable, so is the rest of his team. On the subject of Laura, is she returning to Radio 1 after having her baby? As Pippa has now taken over as producer.

If Greg was to move to breakfast, an additional producer and his current team would be needed, which would work out perfect for Laura's return. The Greg James Show with Pippa and Laura as day/show producer (or whichever way round), AP as Travis and Chris Smith as newsreader with a zoo style format would be perfect for breakfast.

This would be great. I think Grimmy will stay with Radio 1. He is more in touch with Radio 1 teams than you think- he's also really friendly with Ben Cooper. Grimmy would go to Drivetime if Greg took breakfast.

Also Laura has now left Radio 1. She will not be on Gregs show anytime soon, Pippa is the producer for the show

This would be great. I think Grimmy will stay with Radio 1. He is more in touch with Radio 1 teams than you think- he's also really friendly with Ben Cooper. Grimmy would go to Drivetime if Greg took breakfast.

Also Laura has now left Radio 1. She will not be on Gregs show anytime soon, Pippa is the producer for the show

I had a feeling Laura might have left for good. A shame as I always liked her on air, but Pippa is definitely a good replacement.

Think Grimmy needs another chance as mentioned, definitely a new production team needed! If not would love him on drive, he was really great at it ages ago covering scott and then greg! Matt would be a great ultimate replacement for Scott. Love Alice Levine, don't see why her and Phil Taggart couldn't go together to Fearne's slot, (with a good production team that don't play loads of music and do nothing).

hello

Think Grimmy needs another chance as mentioned, definitely a new production team needed! If not would love him on drive, he was really great at it ages ago covering scott and then greg! Matt would be a great ultimate replacement for Scott. Love Alice Levine, don't see why her and Phil Taggart couldn't go together to Fearne's slot, (with a good production team that don't play loads of music and do nothing).

I think Grimmy has a brilliant production team. They are very good and engaging on air. I think the features do need a revamp though.