Unofficial Mills

Q1 2013 RAJAR

James R

BBC Radio 1 has lost a million listeners in the latest quarterly listening figures, with 900,000 less listening to Nick Grimshaw.

The station has gone from 11.1 million listeners three months ago to 10.2 million today, according to Q1, 2013 RAJAR results. Breakfast listening is down but it is expected the loss of audience will be from the higher age group.

The station’s share is down to 6.7% compared to 7.4% last quarter and 8.2% last year.

Radio 1 says “The new Radio 1 schedule, aimed at a younger audience, is still bedding in. While the audience is smaller, it is more focused on a younger demographic with the highest proportion of listeners aged 15-24 in any quarter since Q3 2010 (29.2%).”

Nick replaced Chris Moyles on Breakfast last September and just missed out on the Gold Award for Best Use of Multiplatform at the Sonys this week.

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/one-million-less-for-radio-1-and-grimmy/

I have to say I'm not surprised and I can't see it getting better anytime soon. But, I suppose its about the age of the listeners and not the listening figures, but I'm in the age range and I just don't feel the station is appealing to me anymore.

The Guardian has a good piece on it:

New Radio 1 breakfast DJ Nick Grimshaw has lost nearly a million listeners since taking over from Chris Moyles, plunging to the flagship show to its lowest audience for a decade.

Radio 1, which lost its title as the "nation's favourite" to Radio 2 in 2001, was also beaten in the latest listening figures by Radio 4, only the second time this has happened since a new audience measurement system was introduced in 1999.

Grimshaw, who was given the breakfast slot in response to pressure to attract a younger audience, had 5.8 million listeners each week on average in the first three months of this year, according to the latest official Rajar audience figures published on Thursday.

The 28-year-old presenter, who took over from Moyles last September, shipped 900,000 listeners compared to the final three months of 2012 and was nearly a million down on Moyles' last quarterly audience of 6.7 million.

It is the lowest audience for the Radio 1 breakfast show since it was presented by Sara Cox in 2003. Cox had 5.5 million listeners in her last three months in the job before she was replaced by Moyles, who fashioned himself as the "saviour of Radio 1".

Another former Radio 1 breakfast presenter, Chris Evans, appeared to benefit as his Radio 2 breakfast show surged to its biggest ever audience of 9.8 million each week on average, up nearly 600,000 year on year.

Radio 1 controller Ben Cooper turned to Grimshaw as part of his effort to bring younger listeners to the station, which is supposed to appeal to 15- to 29-year-olds, after the average age of its audience crept up to 32.

He was a surprise choice for the slot having never previously presented a daytime show on the station.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/16/nick-grimshaw-chris-moyles-bbc-radio-1

Radio 4 are now getting more listeners than Radio 1, and they're the lowest breakfast show figures since 2003, when Sara was replaced by Moyles.

Good post here, with info on the age groups:

http://www.mattdeegan.com/2013/05/15/nick-grimshaws-q12013-rajar-performance/

Market share of 15-24 has actually gone down 21.5% to 20.2% compared to last year, 25-34 has seen a big hit 19.4% to 15.7%. Not surprised about the 25-34 category as they've certainly alienated this age group.

The BBC are putting a brave face on what is a pretty catastrophic set of figures .The spokeswoman says 'we are confident Radio One will emerge strongly from this period of transition'. In other words 'oh shit does anyone know Chris Moyles phone number' !

'oh shit does anyone know Chris Moyles phone number' !

:hahaha: LOL

Those figures for Grimshaw are less than Coxy's when she got put out of brekkie, aren't they? Chris Evans was on fine form this morning with his brand new figures, so yup, R1 have achieved their goal of moving the "oldies" on .... but at what cost long-term to a once great radio station? I mean, if they are even alienating the younger folk?? Long term, will they pull in more of the young, or will the figures continue to drop?

Radio 2's newsteam were saying this morning that Radio 1 are describing themselves as "healthy"........ Er.............. OK, good.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

:hahaha: LOL

Those figures for Grimshaw are less than Coxy's when she got put out of brekkie, aren't they? Chris Evans was on fine form this morning with his brand new figures, so yup, R1 have achieved their goal of moving the "oldies" on .... but at what cost long-term to a once great radio station? I mean, if they are even alienating the younger folk?? Long term, will they pull in more of the young, or will the figures continue to drop?

Radio 2's newsteam were saying this morning that Radio 1 are describing themselves as "healthy"........ Er.............. OK, good.

Is it too early to speculate on who might replace Grimmy if he has another bad set of figures in 3 months time? Greg James is favourite of course,or maybe when Fearne gets back from maternity leave she could be promoted to breakfast. Then again Dan and Phil seem to be the biggest new thing on radio .Could they get the big gig,or is it too soon for them? Most likely they'll stick with Grimmy for another year or so at least,but its always fun to speculate!

PS I'm only missing out Scotts name because he's said he doesn't want it anymore

Not all 15-24 year olds are One Direction or Bieber fans. Many are intellectual enough to like a good laugh, but aren't prepared to turn on Radio 2. Some have moved on to Radio 2, but clearly the fall in that market share for the younger audience shows a void for them too.

PS I'm only missing out Scotts name because he's said he doesn't want it anymore

He is a competent man, but his Show lost the edge some time back, when R1 started to lose the ability to be controversial, to push buttons, to have rants, and do all the things we loved.

I think it is about more than just gearing the Shows to a younger audience...... R1 also assume that younger audience are quite thick (and they are wrong).

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Personally, I stopped listening to Radio 1 months ago, probably getting on for a year now. I still download the Mills podcast but I don't enjoy it anywhere near as much as before. Times change, completely understand that, but I don't know anybody else that disagrees with me. Radio 1 is now the patronising kiddy station I feared it was turning into. It's a real shame.

Charlie Sloth has seen a good RAJAR judging by twitter, would love it if Radio1 were brave enough to bring his 1xtra show to the station as it is now, for breakfast or drive. Sure, it would alienate a lot of people but if it's good quality and unique, so what?

I would be shocked if Grimmy goes in the next 18 months. Ben Cooper today mentioned his '2 year plan' (which I've never seen mentioned before!) and we're only 2 quarters into the 2 year plan. To me that says Grimmy has 18 months for sure and then they'll reevaluate his position after that.

The most worrying thing for Ben Cooper must be the 200 thousand 15-24s who were listening to Grimmy and have stopped this quarter. The stat given last quarter was that he attracted 250k listeners, losing 200k this quarter in the same demo is bad news.

We can only speculate if Greg would have done a better job... (I'm inclined to say not)

Charlie Sloth has seen a good RAJAR judging by twitter, would love it if Radio1 were brave enough to bring his 1xtra show to the station as it is now, for breakfast or drive. Sure, it would alienate a lot of people but if it's good quality and unique, so what?

I agree.Charlie seems to be really popular with his audience.I'd love to see him on daytime on Radio One.Maybe he could be Devs successor on early breakfast to start off?

If Charlie tones down his act a bit (which he's shown he can do when he guests on Scott's show), I think he'd be a great fit on the Radio 1 side. Not saying he has to play it completely straight-laced, but it wouldn't need to be quite as over-the-top. The rate he's going now he runs into the risk of being the next Westwood in 30 years' time.

I agree.Charlie seems to be really popular with his audience.I'd love to see him on daytime on Radio One.Maybe he could be Devs successor on early breakfast to start off?

1xtra drive to R1 early breakfast is surely a backwards step

james_ryder.png

I would be shocked if Grimmy goes in the next 18 months. Ben Cooper today mentioned his '2 year plan' (which I've never seen mentioned before!) and we're only 2 quarters into the 2 year plan. To me that says Grimmy has 18 months for sure and then they'll reevaluate his position after that.

The most worrying thing for Ben Cooper must be the 200 thousand 15-24s who were listening to Grimmy and have stopped this quarter. The stat given last quarter was that he attracted 250k listeners, losing 200k this quarter in the same demo is bad news.

We can only speculate if Greg would have done a better job... (I'm inclined to say not)

Doesn't Scott's contract end in two years? I wonder if Ben has already decided then what will happen with Scott at the end of this two year plan?

I'm really not surprised by the large drop in audience figures. I was talking yesterday with my mates, and we're all a mixture of casual Radio 1 listeners and those of us that have listened religiously since around 2005, and we all agreed that the station doesn't appeal to us anymore - instead just 15 year old girls.

Radio 1 just doesn't have the same excitement as it used to do; it's trying too hard now to be cool by appointing new DJ's who they perceive as being 'cool' to teenagers. And we're all aged 20/21, so if we feel alienated by the station, then it's no surprise to me that many in the 25-34 category have gone too.

So if my number crunching is right. Nick lost 907 000 listener going down from 6 691 000 to 5 784 000 were as Radio 1 in total lost only 828 000 going from 11 091 000 to 10 263 000.

This means if my numbers are right, Nick lost more then the rest of Radio 1 put together... and if you take out the breakfast show Radio 1 put on 79 000 across the rest of the shows... Maybe this is because Nick is new and still settling in but next Rajar he must turn it around.

Do you really think if he kept having bad quarters after each other then the 2 year plan would stay the same? Depends a lot more really on what the younger people do. Its the first time we've seen the breakdown of what age groups are listening. From my few years of reading this forum, Q1 is normally one of the best for Radio 1 with younger people at school, college etc. Wait for Q3 when theres a lot of people on holiday, Moyles usually struggled to keep going then. That could be a hard set of figures to take.

I don't dislike his show but its always female callers, not thats a bad thing but i think that shows the audience he appeals too. I'm 21 and most of my friends have moved on also.

If there was a shake up I could see Greg to breakfast, Nick to Drive time (I think he could get more guests this time of day and would just be easier listening.) I think Sloth might take Scotts place in the schedule in years to come. I think Nick would take drive time rather than being 'chucked back into the night time'!

''is Dave1 the real Dave ? '' E*F*4*L