Unofficial Mills

Official Charts To Stay At Radio 1

James R

BBC Radio 1 has signed a new four-year deal with the Official Charts Company.

The Official Singles Chart will remain on the BBC radio station until the end of 2016, extending the partnership into its 49th year.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a470720/bbc-radio-1-signs-four-year-deal-with-official-charts-company.html#ixzz2PZwWZ1rf

Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

james_ryder.png

Yes as wizard said, i am all for the use of cameras in the studio but jameela is awful, i'm not being sexist or racist, i just don't think she's very good at this, maybe its the wrong format for her or something but in my opinion she should be at the desk sat or stood behind the mic like when reggie or scott have done the show, i think it will be interesting to see if the format is kept when scott or greg sit in for her...

hello

I have to say I haven't really warmed to Jameela yet on the Chart Show. I just don't think she is a good radio presenter. I thought she was ok on the request show, but was quite surprised with her promotion so quickly!

But I think this is the way Radio 1 is now going. I'm all for visualising Radio 1 more, and I used to love it when they used to visualise The Chris Moyles Show for a whole week sometimes, but I think that radio should still come first. With the Chart Show and Dan & Phil's show, it seems the visualised content comes first, then radio afterwards.

I do get the feeling at the moment Radio 1 is trying to latch on to things that are supposedly cool: one direction, Dan & Phil etc. But I think Radio 1 are trying too hard to be cool. It's just not the same Radio 1 anymore. Even though I'm well in the target age group, I don't think they're appealing to me anymore, instead just 13 year old girls.

Whatever happened to employing passionate radio people? I remember when Greg James started and you could tell how radio was the only thing he ever wanted to do, and how enthusiastic he was. You just don't seem to get that with any of the new signings anymore. Hopefully they might sign someone new from student radio soon. With Moyles gone, Sara probably leaving when Fearne comes back and Scott probably leaving in two years when his contract ends, Radio 1 really is a shadow of its former self.

With the Chart Show and Dan & Phil's show, it seems the visualised content comes first, then radio afterwards.

I do get the feeling at the moment Radio 1 is trying to latch on to things that are supposedly cool: one direction, Dan & Phil etc. But I think Radio 1 are trying too hard to be cool.

Whatever happened to employing passionate radio people? I remember when Greg James started and you could tell how radio was the only thing he ever wanted to do, and how enthusiastic he was. You just don't seem to get that with any of the new signings anymore. Hopefully they might sign someone new from student radio soon.

You are too right sad that it is. I don't mind Dan and Phil but they should stay on Sunday where the format works. Someone did say that Dan and Phil would get Scott show. :( Radio 1 you are a radio station get presenters who are passionate about radio and muisc. More Zane, Huw, Greg, Scott, Matt, Sara, Phil and Alice. Less Tom, Gamma, Jameela, Dan and Phil. As for Nick on breakfast Mmmmm not sure. All in all weekday day time plus Zane and Phil and Alice are very good.

P.S. ryd2603; I think you maybe be on to something there....

You are too right sad that it is. I don't mind Dan and Phil but they should stay on Sunday where the format works. Someone did say that Dan and Phil would get Scott show. :( Radio 1 you are a radio station get presenters who are passionate about radio and muisc. More Zane, Huw, Greg, Scott, Matt, Sara, Phil and Alice. Less Tom, Gamma, Jameela, Dan and Phil. As for Nick on breakfast Mmmmm not sure. All in all weekday day time plus Zane and Phil and Alice are very good.

P.S. ryd2603; I think you maybe be on to something there....

Completely agree with the list of DJs. Phil & Alice I think are really good! I agree with Nick on breakfast, I'm still unsure. He's much better than he was and the show itself is definitely turning more into a team style show again, but it still isn't a patch on Moyles.

I would have put Greg on breakfast with a team style show, moved Grimmy to Gregs old afternoon slot for the time being, then let Scott complete his contract at Radio 1 on drive time. Then, when that was over, put Grimmy on drive time and Matt Edmondson on afternoons. I think moving Grimmy from late nights straight to breakfast was a mistake, and that they should have eased him in first with the afternoon slot.

I think Greg would have suited breakfast more. And everyone kind of expected him to get breakfast once Moyles had left. Anyway, completely gone off topic...

Seeing it come up I would keep things the same weekday day time, don't let Fearne back Sara better. As for weekends get Gemma off and try out someone for student radio, Matt Palmer from BayRadio Aberystwyth sounds good see what happends. Get Jamila Jamal off and try out Laura Whitmore and have it a full live radio show with the last hour online and BBC 3. [?? Give Dan and Phil 3 hours 7 to 10 (But tell them it is a radio show first.) and give The Surgery two hours 10 till midnight. ??] Not sure about that last bit.

Its really interesting to hear everyones opinions. I think the most successful DJs are, like you mention above, the ones who its been a passion of there's since a young age. Look at Moyles, Mills, Greg and Grimmy. There is a reason they have/have had those slots. It's because they started getting experience, at some hospital radio station when they were 13. Grimmy and Greg are so current and on trend, not only do they have significant experience behind them prior to radio 1 and chosen it as a career from the get go, they also enjoy gigs which R1 is playlisting.

I actaully find the Chart show quite uncomfortable to listen to. Its so heavily scripted and forced, there is no natural flow to it. Also due to all the blunders she used to make driving the desk, she now doesnt even do that now! I think this is what happens when you take someone who R1 think the listeners want, from a different career and put them infront of a radio mic, the inexperience really shines through, and they have to resort to measures like scripting their entire show for them. Dan and Phil also seems substantially scripted from what I can tell, but at least they drive the desk.

Part of why I enjoy radio is just having the presenters ramble off topic about something and being a bit edgy, and I dont think Im the only one who thinks this?

Having said this, I occasionally catch the 10-12 show with Phil and Alice, and even though Alice isnt from a radio background, I think she is a natural. I dont think she drives the desk though so minus points for that, Alice!

In summary, I think Radio 1 are really missing a trick. They seem too focussed on recruiting from relative fame, and completely missing the obvious talent that must be from Student Radio, who are no only in target age group and can talk about relevant content in their links, and also probably have a strong interest in music. As far as I'm aware, the last person they took on from student radio was Greg in 2007?! Feel free to correct me! I listened to Pete Allison, Hattie Pearson and Ethan O'Leary and thought they were really good acutally - especially Pete.

Totally agree with the above. Phil and Alice have really really impressed me, I seriously like the show when I tune in, and Alice has got so much better, she wasn't awful at the beginning but felt she was a bit nervous, I like her and phil together as phil is definitely an opposite personality to her, for example he is definitely more naughty, as they were saying the other day he got suspended at school while she was head girl at school! On DJ's that deserve a better show, I caught Pete Allison and he was really good, definitely would like to hear more of him! Sadly didn't catch the other two... I would also like to hear more of Adele Roberts and Nick Bright from 1Xtra Weekends, both really good RADIO presenters, and proof that 1Xtra has good DJ's unlike Gemma Cairney! All for visualisation as Moyles was as well! But please put the radio first!

hello

I think Grimmy is doing a good job considering he had to take over from Chris and that is a very tough act to follow. Also of the contendors for the slot: allegedly Fearne, Grimmy and Greg (Scott would be deemed too old) I think he is quite comfortably the best suited to it. I think Greg is a bit middle of the road and frankly dull for drive-time never mind breakfast.

Coxy is also doing a good job although it shows the value of a good production team that despite her fronting the morning show and sunday morning show. I much preferred Sunday mornings.

I also disagree with all these TV stars being signed up, I actually think that they might make quite good co-hosts but not sure if they're good enough on their own. I quite like Jameela and think she's funny but think she would sound better with someone else, her interactions with Scott are always good. However I think her being given the chart means the management don't really see her as daytime DJ (on weekdays). Both Reggie & JK & Joel ended up being trapped on the chart show, so haters of Jameela I don't think you should be too concerned.

Although someone like Matt (and Grimmy) who are from TV but do a good job. Personally I think Matt is a bit of an acquired taste and if he is going to end up on a bigger slot he needs someone to bounce off and interact with (possibly Chris Stark). A straight guy to his quirkier personality.

Dan + Phil are odd ones as there videos are funny and they're funny with Scott but I haven't really been mad on their show.

Huw and Gemma should both go from their slots. Huw should stick to night-time which he's excellent at day-time is really not his thing. It's all a bit forced and not very entertaining. Gemma is just irritating. I would be looking at student and commercial radio for new presenter rather than solely television which seems to be the new format.

Radio 1 was always going to have a tough time of it: When Scott leaves which I think is inevitable in a couple of years over a 5 year period some really big names will have left: Jo Whiley, Moyles, Coxy and Mills. Unfortunately at the moment the replacements (possibly bar Grimmy) are sub-standard.

Radio 1 was always going to have a tough time of it: When Scott leaves which I think is inevitable in a couple of years over a 5 year period some really big names will have left: Jo Whiley, Moyles, Coxy and Mills. Unfortunately at the moment the replacements (possibly bar Grimmy) are sub-standard.

You've made a good point there. They are all absolutely class broadcasters. Will be certainly dropping a peg or two in talent when they all go.

And as you say, I know Grimmy doesnt float everyones boats, but he had big boots to fill and hes doing an excellent job of it. Of all the decisions of moving presenters around, that was the best decision for a mile.

Now I have sneaky suspicions that Radio 1 management actually read these forums, so please take note of peoples opinions! :)