Unofficial Mills

Too old for Radio 1, too Young for Radio 2.

DC

But there lies the problem, the somewhere else is Radio 2. And it's output music seems to target 50+. There's a need for a station between Radio 1 and 2, I think it would have to be indipendant radio though as the BBC don't seem to have the money for that.

on the grid.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then, thermonuclear war.

considering Radio1 don't even WANT Viv in their audience anymore...

Firstly, fair dos, you're right with that. Now on With the slapdown.

Yes, yours and Viv's moaning among others IS a dire problem

this is a forum. Moaning is something that's not only appropriate, but actively encouraged. Adapt or GTFO

so don't tell me what to do just because I've pointed out some massive hypocrisies and prejudgement...

Slightly hypocritical in light of...

Boring recurring loop of a conversation is boring to read... just sayin, all of this has been said many times over now. Let It Go, get over it.

ahem.

Come back to me when you've actually LISTENED TO GRIMMY ON BREAKFAST (I.e something NOBODY has yet done), maybe then you'll actually be able to comment.

One word. Precedent. Grimmy has done pretty much every slot there is, and he is EXACTLY the same no matter what he does. In fact, the only thing that ever changes is the music. I don't need to listen to his breakfast show to know it'll be all the same. History dictates it to be so. And anyway, this thread isn't about the breakfast show exclusively, it's about radio one. So come back when you've read the actual content instead of going in all guns blazing, when you complete miss the point, which is pretty clearly the case here.

This is a forum. We come here to discuss. No one, not even you has the right to wade in and shoot down any topic because you have a differing view. I expected so much better of you actually.

kthxbai!

Close the door on your way out.

authors note: my card got withheld by a cash machine earlier, so I'm in an extremely foul mood, which often facilitates my usual civil tongue being loosened in the face of douchebaggery. But I stand by my comments, even the flawed ones regardless.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

My point about the recurring loop was more pointing out something, but no, please continue with your entirely flawed argument against Grimmy which STILL has no basis given that he hasn't yet done the thing you are telling us MUST AND CAN ONLY BE CRAP. Maybe next time YOU won't come in guns blazing just because of a fucking piss poor excuse of a bad mood and moaning about something that hasn't even happened. This is what I am trying to convey but people like you, as usual, continue to read otherwise into it, reading too much between lines.

If you can't believe people change (whether it be for better or worse) and will keep prejudging rather than giving someone a chance, then quite frankly, I pity you.

All I ever asked is Grimmy be given a chance, don't like him, fine, but shoot him down for what he HAS done, not what he has yet to do. Your rant is the kind of thing I expect of Viv, it's beneath you, but whatever...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

And Grimmy WILL get his chance. Once again, and let me make this abundantly clear,

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT NEITHER GRIMMY OR THE BREAKFAST SHOW, IT'S ABOUT RADIO ONE AS A WHOLE.

maybe for some there's nothing more to a station than it's breakfast show, but I think we see the bigger picture here.

prejudging has nothing to do with it. Indeed, not taking historical facts into account is a more dire mistake to make, as then you never, ever learn from it. This is why so many shows failed before, and why radio one was teetering on the bring of collapse before it was revitalised through very clever scheduling. So far, I've seen no evidence of such a trend continuing. In fact, I'd say the current line up is more fractured than your precious android operating structure. Strong words sure, but the truth.

no one has ever said Grimmy is crap. In fact he's an extremely competent broadcaster, in the right slot. But that's a story for another thread. Each and every year, we've seen competence replaced with absolutely bonkers choices, all in the name of "lowering the average listener age". Let me remind you, Radio ones remit is 14-28 (roughly). At the moment, the upper ten years of that age range isn't catered for. And your telling us all to shit up and get on with it? Ok, that was a paraphrase but still. Your aim, in pretty much every single post in this thread, has had the aim of telling us to keep calm and carry on, like the good little British idiots we are. Not. Happening. We are here to talk. To complain. To laugh and to cry, to have fun and argue furiously. Thedifference between my posts and Vivs are that mine are considered, well thought out and well written (sorry Viv!) points.

the difference between me and you is I don't go about making it personal like you did in that post I so carefully pulled apart earlier. If you ever do that again I will track you down and take away your ability to post because that's just cruel. And while a bad mood did facilitate my tirade this evening, it wasn't the root cause. Your belief that you have the right to tell us what to do is.

Now go away, please, and come back when you're ready to act civil. Cos I haven't seen much evidence of that lately.

Man I need to cool off now, I'm furious... Oh and Jono, feel free to ban me for a couple of weeks, it might give some much needed thinking space.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

You rant, but I'm the one who's not civil when the only time I haven't been was a sarcastic response in kind, but whatever.

I would go back on topic IF I'm allowed my piece on it (apparently not), Grimmy, being part of Radio1, is relevant to this thread... and I am apparently having to REPEAT my point that I was ASKING rather than telling where you show lots of signs of prejudging him...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Love a rant. someone getting their willy out is genius. moyles = genius grimshaw = shite, but shit sticks, i suppose. completely irrational comments, yup, but gut instinct tells me listening figs. Will continue to drop.......... doovde = bullying t*, nik b = oracle in shit :)

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Remember everyone said Greg James would shed listeners in the 4-7 slot without Mills there, and look what happened, he actuallly increased them!

It's only been One Quarter and when the drop comes it won't be reported because Rajar only report to the public th Breakfast show.

I still think it's intriguing that Greg James wasn't given breakfast, He was moved to drive-time and even doing interviews expressing how Breakfast would be a dream for him and suddenly Grimmy got the job!

I personally wouldn't let Greg near breakfast (or drive) as I think he is bland, bland, bland but Cooper was happy to give him drive-time so my educated guess is that Greg's audiences' average age is pretty high [(despite being young his show hardly sounds young) (In all honesty I think Scott's show with Chris and innuendo bingo is more likely to appeal to young people)] so Cooper opted for Grimmy to take breakfast. Regardless of his motives I think he picked the better candidate.

It's only been One Quarter and when the drop comes it won't be reported because Rajar only report to the public th Breakfast show.

I still think it's intriguing that Greg James wasn't given breakfast, He was moved to drive-time and even doing interviews expressing how Breakfast would be a dream for him and suddenly Grimmy got the job!

I personally wouldn't let Greg near breakfast (or drive) as I think he is bland, bland, bland but Cooper was happy to give him drive-time so my educated guess is that Greg's audiences' average age is pretty high [(despite being young his show hardly sounds young) (In all honesty I think Scott's show with Chris and innuendo bingo is more likely to appeal to young people)] so Cooper opted for Grimmy to take breakfast. Regardless of his motives I think he picked the better candidate.

RAJAR will give you any information about any time period in the day about any radio station if you pay for it. Its not RAJARS who gave that information out about the breakfast show, as Chris Moyles is so high profile (and also hated by many papers) thats just what they chose to report on.

Greg James said on his twitter that the ratings increased. I think they will continue to increase.

I also was dubious about him taking drive, but I think he's doing really well in it, and I also think Scott has really stepped it up for the 1-4 show. Greg may have given interviews showing his passion and drive for the breakfast show, but that doesnt neccessarly mean you will get the job! They chose the right person. Definately.

RAJAR will give you any information about any time period in the day about any radio station if you pay for it. Its not RAJARS who gave that information out about the breakfast show, as Chris Moyles is so high profile (and also hated by many papers) thats just what they chose to report on.

Greg James said on his twitter that the ratings increased. I think they will continue to increase.

I also was dubious about him taking drive, but I think he's doing really well in it. Greg may have given interviews showing his passion and drive for the breakfast show, but that doesnt neccessarly mean you will get the job! They chose the right person. Definately.

I didn't know you got the full info if you paid for it, learn something new everyday.

But I stand my point, if you go on the RAJARS website you can click on the breakfast figures and see them easily and you can't see drive-time figures. Who subscribes to the RAJARS website, certainly no one on this website and if viewing figures do go down Greg isn't going to brag on twitter. So we'd really be none the wiser.

I'll admit I only hear bits of Greg as I don't make an effort to listen to him but from what I've he's improved but he IMO he isn't as good as Scott and doesn't appeal to the R1 target audience as well as Scott. I personally think Cooper is being exceptionally narrow minded in his belief that younger DJs equals younger listeners.

Finally, it's been commented on here and other sites that it seems like Greg is being/has been primed for breakfast and he's got the second best job at radio 1. If the Breakfast host goes, the prime candidate is the drive time host e.g. Moyles, Evans, admittedly that isn't a hard and fast rule (Dave Berry at Capital) but you're most likely candidate will be drive. Greg appears to tick all the boxes he's young, growing reputation (dating Ellie Goulding, appearing on BBC 3) and his figures are good yet they opted for Grimmy. What I was trying to illustrate by pointing out Greg was giving interviews about wanting the breakfast jobs, was that he was aware he was in prime position for breakfast and for some reason Cooper decided not to go for him. If his figures are rising then I'd speculate it's the wrong kind of listeners (i.e. Older listeners).

I didn't know you got the full info if you paid for it, learn something new everyday.

But I stand my point, if you go on the RAJARS website you can click on the breakfast figures and see them easily and you can't see drive-time figures. Who subscribes to the RAJARS website, certainly no one on this website and if viewing figures do go down Greg isn't going to brag on twitter. So we'd really be none the wiser.

I'll admit I only hear bits of Greg as I don't make an effort to listen to him but from what I've he's improved but he IMO he isn't as good as Scott and doesn't appeal to the R1 target audience as well as Scott. I personally think Cooper is being exceptionally narrow minded in his belief that younger DJs equals younger listeners.

Finally, it's been commented on here and other sites that it seems like Greg is being/has been primed for breakfast and he's got the second best job at radio 1. If the Breakfast host goes, the prime candidate is the drive time host e.g. Moyles, Evans, admittedly that isn't a hard and fast rule (Dave Berry at Capital) but you're most likely candidate will be drive. Greg appears to tick all the boxes he's young, growing reputation (dating Ellie Goulding, appearing on BBC 3) and his figures are good yet they opted for Grimmy. What I was trying to illustrate by pointing out Greg was giving interviews about wanting the breakfast jobs, was that he was aware he was in prime position for breakfast and for some reason Cooper decided not to go for him. If his figures are rising then I'd speculate it's the wrong kind of listeners (i.e. Older listeners).

I didnt even realise the public could see the data on RAJARs website for breakfast show so I have learnt something today as well!

I think they put that data on there as it is the one that draws the most public interest.

I think they are nurturing Greg to be the next Breakfast host yes, but he wasnt ready to move after 2 mins in Drivetime. Of the choice of Grimmy and Greg, I definately think they made the right choice!

I personally think Cooper is being exceptionally narrow minded in his belief that younger DJs equals younger listeners. ).

He kind of is and he isn't.... He is doing a good job of driving people away... thing is, it isn't just those outside R1's target range... it is people within it as well.

Mills, although still a class act, deserves to be broadcasting a much better standard of output than now. Innuendo bingo (yes, I know I have said it before) is hardly sony winning material .. seriously. Dear Scott is ALWAYS very funny, Becky + Chris good, but it just lacks that former "edge" that used to be there when Laura was around, and R1 was allowed controversy.

Listeners (like myself) will still be looking for new music they may like, however - want to know what the record of the week is, etc., etc., so many will stick around anyway. Chris Evans doesn't really appeal that much to me, neither does Steve Wright, so where do these listeners go? They go right back to R1, because there really is no middle ground. *

* Even if it means giving Grimshaw at least a few tries.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I am just 25 now and am fast losing the love for Radio 1. If you asked any of my friends i was obsessed with the station up until Jo Whiley left really. When i say obsessed i was almost weird about it all! It was by far and away my favourite station and could quite easily listen all day. Even though i didnt like Jo much i still listened, when Fearne came my heart sank but i persevered and in the last 6 months or so i have warmed to her slightly (typical that she will now be going on Maternity soon!!)

When the shake up on Drive happened i was angry with the station as what they had worked. Now i don't get to listen to Scott and have to listen to some arrogant ponce who thinks he is some sort of impressionist comedian, which he absolutely is not! Now Moyles has gone i am totally lost. I am looking forward to Nick and really hope he doesn't disappoint as my drives to work, which are over an hour, will never be the same again and i will probably feel every second of it!

Radio 2 really doesnt appeal to me, i have given it a go but the music is just too old fashioned for me at the moment (as i am only just 25 ;) My ipod has been my companion on my way home from work as i will not listen to GJ. I am yet to find a local station that a) doesn't drop out half way on my way to work and B) doesn't irritate the hell out of me with cheesy DJs and irrelevant adverts every 10 minutes (the news alone takes about 10 minutes due to the weather being sponsored by some double glazing company and the sport being sponsored by some investment opportunity not to mention the traffic and travel!!)

Hmmm, all in all i am lost with my listening at the moment. I think i will download a load of Moyles shows and podcasts along with some Mills stuff and stick with my trusty iPod for a while until Radio 1 decide to get it right again.

Capes :)

I'll give Grimmy a chance but all this advertising 'Team Grimmy' stuff is annoying, even getting Bieber to say it. Apart from Scott at the moment though I don't really listen to Radio 1 anymore although will occasionally listen to Zane. Can't listen to Greg anymore I didn't used to mind feet up Friday when they were playing 'The Square' but now it's all introduce the teams and then play their songs it's boring.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I'll give Grimmy a chance but all this advertising 'Team Grimmy' stuff is annoying, even getting Bieber to say it.

how they thought that would help their cause for winning over the skeptics of grimey is beyond me, it's like something capital would do.

on the grid.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 14 and I'm loosing interest already, surely that's a bad thing? LOL

I can only listen to Scott, Greg and occassionally Nick. Nick's fader wanking and short links in the morning annoy me, and Fearne just...... well, don't even get me started on her. I'm not keen on people like Huw either, or Zane.