Unofficial Mills

Too old for Radio 1, too Young for Radio 2.

DC

I'm sure i'm not the only one. But for years people who made me want listen to Radio 1 have drifted away, starting with Mark & Lard in 2004 up to Chris Moyles going today. It's made me realise there's only Scott left who i'm bothered about.

I've been trying my hand at listening to Radio 2, i'm 24 now and I feel Radio 1 has become a sound only version of CBBC. But the problem is, although they are making an effort with Chris Evans and Simon Mayo. Radio 2 are still stuck in 1975, especially with their music policy. I tuned in the other day to hear them ranting on about the Beach Boys' new album, seriously. They belong 40 years in the past, why they are still making that ear-ache is beyond me. They are rich enough.

I've also been trying some local tinpot stations, and the only one that works for me is Kerrang. Problem is apart from adverts, is travelling out of the Midlands when I lose them.

The BBC trust told Ben Cooper to basically focus Radio 1 on under 18's (which is the resulting sound). But they seem to forget about everyone over that up to 40 years old, I'm feeling let down to be fair.

on the grid.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where you're coming from, I don't really listen to Radio 1 for the music at all, I only listen for the DJ's. Mostly Scott & Chris, can't really listen to Greg anymore who I used to like but with stuff like the 'going home song' I can't listen anymore. Feet up Friday was much better when they had The Cube as well instead of people voting for what kind of songs they liked.

Listening to my ipod a lot more nowadays. Don't even bother with R1 after work anymore, if Scott was on I would though.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I think I was too old when Fearne replaced Jo Whiley. I mean come on, some upstart kids show presenter compared to a broadcasting legend?! U mad bro?

now Moyles has gone, Scotts the only person I actually care for on the station. I'm 21. I'm pretty much EXACTLY who radio one should be aiming at. And they've lost me now. I don't bloody know where I'm going to go next, probably 5Live. But it's criminal what's happened to the station. Criminal. And Ben Cooper is at the heart of the rot.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

i was very sad to hear moyles go this morning him and the show in what ever form it took whether it was afternoons or breakfast it has travelled with me from school to uni to work and with scott being moved to lunch and me working during his show there is hardly anything left for radio 1 for me.

its a pity because in my opinion despite the target age group surely stand out dj's and stand out radio should matter more and thats what Mills and Moyles provided.

Go on Add me to facebook or bebo you know you want to!

I'm 18, so bang on target too. In the past month, I have only listened to Chris live, and Scott's podcasts, (Except at work...), I don't fit with the station I love. I'm think I'm going to be listening to spotify after Scott has finished breakfast next week.

Maybe Chris was right, when the saviour leaves Yalding house, the station will fall apart. (Even BBC News is predicting a big drop in figures in their article.)

etheridge_tom.png

But it's criminal what's happened to the station. Criminal. And Ben Cooper is at the heart of the rot.

Hear hear !! I am in R2's target range, but still feel the station is too old. My parents (70s) like it, and that is exactly the kind of audience they really have, who loved choons from the 60s, etc.... the Beatles... blah, blah, blah.

I had someone ask me yesterday why Moyles + team have been booted out at the height of their popularity. I tried to explain the station wants younger listeners, only to have the person comment about 1000s of older ones being driven away, really bringing the station back to not adding listeners on anyway.

Yup. And the BBC Trust cannot see this???

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I think Radio 2 as I mentioned before have bought in some big former Radio 1 DJ's, as in Mayo, Evans, Radcliffe, Dave Pearce etc. But it's their playlist that needs a overhaul. They are yapping on and on about the Beach Boys' new album and I'm sure they'll be onto Bob Dylan's new one soon, talk about flogging a dead horse. Not the way to go about it if they are trying to attract the 20-40 age range that Radio 1 have left behind.

on the grid.

The thing is doovde, this is a dire problem and it isn't just going to go away. So we won't sit down and we won't shut up kthxbai.

Yes, yours and Viv's moaning among others IS a dire problem, considering Radio1 don't even WANT Viv in their audience anymore... so don't tell me what to do just because I've pointed out some massive hypocrisies and prejudgement...

Come back to me when you've actually LISTENED TO GRIMMY ON BREAKFAST (I.e something NOBODY has yet done), maybe then you'll actually be able to comment.

kthxbai!

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...