Unofficial Mills

The iPhone 5 - are you fussed?

Jono

Radio 2 were just saying this morning that buying all these gadgets is pointless, because, as there is an iPhone 5, there will soon be more technology, and more + more, and you will never keep up anyway.

That has been the case for a long time, and at one time it was the case with PCs. Innovation in that sector has now mostly slowed compared to then so that now if you buy a new PC it'll be good for a long while yet. That innovation has moved onto phones now meaning new ones are coming out at a really fast pace. Compared to other manufacturers the iPhone is on a fairly slow release cycle, once every year. Other manufacturers may release 20 or 30 different models in a year.

i know that ios6 is awful.

i rolled back to ios5 with help of an itunes hack and icloud to back up my stuff. because of apple's fallout with google the youtube app has gone, and the maps are no longer powered by google either. so as well as no street view, my house looks like a bowl of jelly and it's telling me i'm around 3 miles away from where i actually am.

problem is i was going to get the iphone 5, but it's going to come pre installed with ios6. looks like i might have to head for a samsung like jono.

on the grid.

Also, I imagine they'll be a Google Maps app for iOS6 at some point.

i hope so.

right then, i'll probably need some guidance on a new phone. my old iphone 3gs has now almost completley packed up, i'm now getting the white screen of death after i unlock it. the only way i can get around it is to restart my phone and not lock it! so it looks like next week i'm getting a new phone.

there's a decent looking contract with the 3 network, unlimited internet on the iphone 5 also with some free texts and minutes thrown in (which i don't really use that much) for around £30. thing is are google actually going to sort out an app for the iphone for their maps or are they turning backs on each other for good? another issue i have with the iphone is that it dosen't have flash capabilities, i've always missed that.

on the grid.