Unofficial Mills

New UM homepage

Viv

Mmm. Wordpress base, nicely bridged with VbB, great layout. Good job!

I like using Wordpress, it's very dynamic and useful. So long as it's kept updated and stuff, it's a serious boost to the site! Might want to disable the user bar at the top, since it serves no purpose to regular members it's kinda cleaner to hide it.

Ill shut up now else the web admin inside me will find something to moan about =P

(edit) oh, and you may want to change "website" to "home" in the forum settings.

Oh right... I was shutting up wasn't I? *zips up mouth*

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Last edited by Nik B. - Today at 21:42 Reason: Being anally retentive.

I would have thought that would count as a positive for you, no? :P

Yeah... that lame gag just happened. For once, no apologies, no regrets...

but seriously, liking the new frontpage look. Will the forum look be made to match it too, or would it if I was using the default skin?

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yeah. I remember a couple of the revamps the sites had, Jono usually goes the extra mile to get it super sexy. It's a long process changing such a large site though, and from what I understand, VbB can be a bit limiting. I dunno. What I do know is it'll look stunning when all the changes are made.

*In Jono We Trust*

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

No I don't mean that. VbB is proprietary, so it's locked into a certain way of working. I prefer to work with open source solutions like Wordpress, or SMF for forums capabilities. Or the ever present phpBB3. But it does it's job very well; I just don't like it cos I can't fiddle with it without breaking license rules and crap.

The floating share widget on the articles is driving me crackers =/ every time I scroll down the little bugger follows me!

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Well I've just noticed headers and stuff on the forum main page changing, so assume it all in the works.

No plans to do a full reskin at present but as you've noted I'm trying to mirror some of the site.

The main site might only be Wordpress but the aim is to try and get some more web 2.0 content on the homepage which it lacks.

Oh and by the way, let me know what you think of the Forum Runner and Tapatalk integration. Handy for iPhone/Blackberry/Android users?

Slight problem with the mobile integration. The sites setting off two notifications, one for Forum Runner, the other for tapatalk. It's likely to drive people away like that, so it's best to tweak the settings to just set off one or the other.

Also, Wordpress is an incredible platform, be proud of the latest iteration!

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Slight problem with the mobile integration. The sites setting off two notifications, one for Forum Runner, the other for tapatalk. It's likely to drive people away like that, so it's best to tweak the settings to just set off one or the other.

D'oh, I did wonder if that would be the case. Tapatalk would probably be the preferable system as it supports Chrome and Blackberry too.

I have looked up 'forum runner', and you can actually generate cash for your site from it apparently, as well as attracting new people.

The intention is mostly to make it easier to log in to the forum as opposed to a cash making activity.