Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 > BBC R1 on RDS

Anne O Rack

I feel like a complete geek posting this, but I noticed yesterday that the RDS on my car's radio for Radio 1 had changed 'BBC R1 from its usual 'Radio 1'.

Have they ditched the Radio 1 branding to align in with the other BBC radio stations on FM - e.g. 'BBC R2/3/4' etc - or was it a technical problem? Anyone else's displaying BBC R1?

*firmly zips anorak*

Normally it'll revert to 'BBC R1' or 'BBC.R1' on the RDS feed if there's an issue at the transmitter and a backup has kicked in. You see it every so often, and I'm pretty sure my car said 'Radio 1' when I was out earlier so it's probably just a mistake.

It used to be 'BBC R1' permanently but changed in the late 90s/early 2000s, so I'm presuming the backup name wasn't changed back then.

it's always been 'radio 1' since my dad had his car in early 2001 on the old system that was in there, i presume they must of changed it to that before then. my mum had a company car in mid 2000 too and it was the same there. i have seen it change to 'bbc r1' for around 5 minutes in my car but it's rare.

on the grid.