Unofficial Mills

Hand over your Facebook login and password if you want a job

MrDoovdeHaxorz

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/03/21/hand-over-your-facebook-username-and-password-if-you-want-a-job/

Utterly disgusting practice, asking for PRIVATE login details that even Facebook themselves advise you don't give to anyone. I can't see any justification for this to be honest (I mean technically it'd mean they could post in your name and censor you, screw that!) and it'd certainly make me think twice about wanting to work for a company that asked for such things. To me it just makes this song more relevant and prophetic.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I really don't agree with this Facebook and work business. Ok so people shouldn't go posting stuff that could reflect badly on their work and have an affect on it but at the same time they shouldn't feel like they can't express a personal opinion on something.

Someone I was once friends with got themselves into bother with what was initially an innocent throwaway remark about their shift pattern and how it meant they weren't likely to be able to go and see a film before it stopped showing at the cinema. A couple of days later he was called into the office about it as the manager wanted a word with him. Stupidly he got drunk that night and wrote something about people spying, he didn't make specifics about who it was but from what I'm told it was fairly obvious who and what it was about and he removed it very shortly after. However someone else spotted it, grassed on him and he was suspended pending a disciplinary. Ultimately he resigned as it wasn't something he was prepared to be fired over but it goes to show that a silly thing can be blown out of all proportion.

Common sense really ought to be used on both the employer and employee's side where things like social networking is concerned. Most people are perfectly capable of distinguishing between something which is clearly a personal opinion and something which is being stated to be the opinion of their employer. Even though I don't have anyone from work on mine I'm still careful about what goes up as I know someone whose dad and brother are both drivers in another depot. I've no doubt nothing would come of it, but obviously if they can see it then who knows who else could.

Not impressed with censorship

As much as its not really right, it also has a lot to do with how good a relationship you have with the bosses. At my previous job I had a superb relationship with my department manager so I was ever so slightly more able to get away with things. For a while the company went completely OTT on customer service and me and 1 of my colleagues were posting messages to eachother with piss take comments and questions. It came up in conversation one day with the department manager who said she'd seen it, and although she wasn't gonna bother speaking to either of us about it she did say to be careful how close to the wind we were getting, although she did find it funny when she read them.

Not impressed with censorship

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/26/employers-warned-facebook-login-details?CMP=twt_gu After warnings from the US to employers about this practice, the UK's Information Commissioner has even spoken out about it, additionally citing the Data Protection Act.

So that's US and UK Goverment Agencies speaking out against this apparent practice it as well as Facebook...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...