Unofficial Mills

CHANGES: Scott Mills to swap with Greg James at Radio 1

Jono

Well not if he's really signed a new three-year deal. It's BBC Radio 1 we're talking about. Capital may be one of the more respectable commercial radio stations, but it's still commercial radio. Working conditions over there are quite different from the BBC, pressure is much higher, it's all just about profit. So if you can get a new several-year-deal with Radio 1, why go to the commercial sector?

unique...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone actually in the aimed age demographic, I can safely say that as long as someone's a decent DJ (or good-looking, with the exception of Greg James), I really don't care about the age… As long as they're under fifty… To be honest, I seem to hate the younger DJs more.

Jameela Jamil is the definition of mediocre. I can't believe she's getting a show. And Gemma?

I really dislike women. DJs, celebrities, whatever. They just tend to annoy me by being all famous and fashionable and attractive and all that. Fearne's OK, because I grew up with her on CBBC or whatever. But that's it.

Seriously, I will not be listening to Jameela Jamil. Or Greg. I don't listen to Fearne anyway because I'm at school. Urgh...

The sheep is not a creature of the air.

Still fuming that Greg has been given Drive. What I struggle to comprehend is 1) the obsession with younger listeneres and 2) why they think younger DJs will inherently appeal to younger listeners? They might aswell put me on the radio I'm 16!

Also as a 16 year old my favourite shows are Scott Mills, Sara Cox, Grimmy + Annie Mac (Sunday Evenings), Jo Whiley (R2), Adam & Joe (6 Music). Not the youngest Djs it's quality of there broadcasts and if they can empathize and appeal to a young audience which is important not the thinly veiled ageism which seems to be rampant at Radio 1.

Exactly!

It seems the line-up becomes a little worse with each 'refresh'. Radio 1 seem to be unable to escape the idea that to appeal to young people they HAVE to have DJs and only play music by acts who are the same age, no matter how dull each of those are. I'd much rather listen to Jo Whiley than Huw Stephens for example- I found her features a thousand times more relevant and interesting than the inane-banter-to-fill-the-gaps-between-songs approach he and a lot of the other 'newer' presenters take.

What is the obsession with Greg James? I honestly have no idea why he is supposed to be the future of Radio 1- I'm yet to meet a person who actually thinks his show is anything above average. This is one of the biggest stations in the country and they think mediocrity is not only acceptable but to be encouraged. As far as I can tell Greg James's biggest achievement is being under 30. Well done...

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed how Scott hasn't really said anything to Greg during the handover, not even yesterday. Then today he does the handover and says "Bye Greg" in a somewhat sarcastic way. Anybody else notice that or is it just me? I, like many others, am extremly upset, angry and annoyed at this whole situation.

Yes, but... how can I put this any more simply... GREG ISN'T TO BLAME, DON'T BE MAD AT GREG, Be mad at Ben Cooper if you have to be mad at anyone. Have to say, I'm still kinda filled with nothing more than Meh on this myself, but seeing a LOT of overreactions.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

maybe so, but it does signal the end of scott mills lets be honest, i can't see him moving to 6music like mark radcliffe or to radio 2 like jo wiley. i'll give him a couple or 3 more years at radio 1 and thats it at most. and he's not "celeb" enough to grab a slot at capital or whatever afterwards i'm afriad. which is a shame because he's as good as ever as a radio presenter.

on the grid.

maybe so, but it does signal the end of scott mills lets be honest, i can't see him moving to 6music like mark radcliffe or to radio 2 like jo wiley. i'll give him a couple or 3 more years at radio 1 and thats it at most. and he's not "celeb" enough to grab a slot at capital or whatever afterwards i'm afriad. which is a shame because he's as good as ever as a radio presenter.

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe the reason Moyles has been doing so much better than Scott is because he's not a corporate Yes Man like Scott is? He will actually stand up and fight for what HE wants whereas Scott won't. If they did this to Moyles and he truly had a big problem with it, Moyles would have quit.

This is STILL something to be mad at Ben, not Greg for though.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Yes, but... how can I put this any more simply... GREG ISN'T TO BLAME, DON'T BE MAD AT GREG, Be mad at Ben Cooper if you have to be mad at anyone. Have to say, I'm still kinda filled with nothing more than Meh on this myself, but seeing a LOT of overreactions.

Does anyone remember how Scott helped Gregs career by using him for Beccy's Classifieds as the voiceover and talking about him being on early breakfasts, and generally promoting him heavily as a great DJ? I imagine it must sting to then have him replace him on his own show. I also personally feel that Greg (although young and pleasant) doesn't come over very "young" to an audience. Scotts pranks and more juvenile attitude (a good thing) surely appeal to the younger crowd far more than Greg's yawnsville show will.

Well, I guess this new scheduling is really going to hack me off if I ever find a job locally that I can drive to and from.

But I rarely listen to live Mills. As a train commuter, I watch DVDs to and from with Scott reserved only for Podcasts for my walk at lunchtime. I like Scotts chat, not so much his music selection so its win win.

But then, is it going to be the same show at that time? Has Oh Whats Occuring now got no chance of returning?

I also personally feel that Greg (although young and pleasant) doesn't come over very "young" to an audience. Scotts pranks and more juvenile attitude (a good thing) surely appeal to the younger crowd far more than Greg's yawnsville show will.

That's what I was thinking. Surely, Scott's show, with prank calls, immature humour and all that, appeals to younger audiences than what Greg does? Innuendo Bingo, the Tap End, all the banter with Chris and Beccy, those bits surely attract teenagers/students rather than more grown up people? Contrary to Greg, who hasn't really much going on on his show that might attract younger audiences.

unique...

Have to say i never could stand "tap end". please, for the love of god, bin this when you move. you know, i was thinking late last night..... And, in a flash of inspiration, realised what is really wrong with mills' show is a lack of laura being there. Gone are the crazy times making announcements in libraries and galleries. fun times on the edge. these days there really is no edge.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I've really warmed to Greg in the last few months - when he first took over I thought he was really bland and dull, but I personally think this move was the right one; in my opinion Scott has been sounding tired. The Tap End or whatever it's called is dreadful and a great deal or the show is so obviously staged and scripted it is, for me, not enjoyable.

People complaining that this is an outrage for Mills are a bit deluded if they thought he would stay on drive time for years to come.

www.twitter.com/#!/AlistairRobb93

Does anyone remember how Scott helped Gregs career by using him for Beccy's Classifieds as the voiceover and talking about him being on early breakfasts, and generally promoting him heavily as a great DJ? I imagine it must sting to then have him replace him on his own show. I also personally feel that Greg (although young and pleasant) doesn't come over very "young" to an audience. Scotts pranks and more juvenile attitude (a good thing) surely appeal to the younger crowd far more than Greg's yawnsville show will.

That kinda thing happens all the time on Radio 1, Greg helps Dev, Matt Edmondson took over from Greg at the Brits etc

A few days ago I travelled from Devon to Aberdeen in Scotland. I listened to Radio 1 throughout the journey and while listening to Greg James, I remember thinking "how dull and boring is this?! Oh well, Scott will be on soon!" and then they announced that Greg and Scott will be swapping shifts! I remember saying a few expletives out loud because I found it very surprising, almost shocking...

Imo Greg comes across as being your average joe and a mediocre DJ at best. I get the impression Radio 1 just want him to be something he's not and are taking a huge risk. I don't understand the concept behind wanting younger DJs. If I didn't know any better, I'd honestly think Greg was older than Scott! It's personality that's key and Scott clearly wins that contest hands down! Besides, pretty much all of the top 10 DJs in the world (DJ mag) are over 30! So this "we need young DJs" nonsense is purely a load of bs.

When I finish work in the evening after a hard and tiring day (and sometimes stressful) I look forward to hearing Scott and his team and the endless number of jokes and innuendos. Is Greg really going to make us laugh? I think he will be sending most of us off to noddy land, hopefully not while behind the wheel!

I don't expect this to change but if you feel the same way, it may be worth submitting a complaint to the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

I'm sure the listening figures will speak for themselves though, I will be surprised if this turns out to be a success!