Unofficial Mills

CHANGES: Scott Mills to swap with Greg James at Radio 1

Jono

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Fathomer90 for one of the best-though-out posts so far on this. Genuinely enjoyed reading, even the parts I don't agree with, and here's some asides and thoughts your post inspired:

Some thoughts:

1. If Scott was considering a move to Capital seriously, and refused the offer at Christmas THEN got the news about this then I imagine he is seriously pissed off. SERIOUSLY. If I was him and this was the case I would walk. But the whole Capital thing might not be true.

2. Surprised though they have kept him on daytimes- must be the case that he is living out the rest of his contract in this slot. Not Radio 1's style to move a DJ who's Radio 1 career is dying into a relatively big slot. Maybe its something to do with contractual hours?

I think Capital would have probably made an offer, they might love the opportunity to try and snag a much-loved Radio1 DJ and if Moyles isn't going yet, Mills would be the next choice for them if that's what they were trying.

It may be that Radio1 consider Mills in the 'twilight years' of his career there, but possibly he doesn't? That might explain why he wasn't too pleased, even if he didn't go on a Moyles-style rant.

3. The Scott Mills breakfast dream is over. Dead. Gone. Which is a shame. I dont think he ever had the fire in his belly for it like Moyles did.

Well Moyles has considerably more belly FOR that fire...

7. Will Scott Mills still be depping on Breakfast? Imagine Greg James will be the next in line.

If I were in Scott's position, I don't think I'd WANT to be filling in for Breakfast, maybe he will be filling in when Greg's off/covering Breakfast though?

8. FINALLY- Scott Mills has done this gig for 8 years. How amazing is that? He is the longest serving Drive host by a long shot. Nothing can ever take that away.

Absolutely, he has done the job wonderfully.

Greg James, Fearne Cotton, Reggie Yates, Annie Mac, Nick Grimshaw...they are all the future now. Unfortunately for some on here you are just going to have to accept it.

Agreed, possibly the biggest real-terms change since Mark and Lard leaving the 2-4 slot?

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I'm willing to bet most of Scott's segments will be gutted out of the program come April. Can't imagine a bit like "innuendo bingo" ever flying at 2:15 in the afternoon, and IOBF will almost certainly disappear unless Scott does a weekly appearance during Greg's show since something like that won't sound right during the middle of the work day. I'll also miss Scott's hilariously awkward handovers with Zane Lowe.

Unfortunately I think what Ben Cooper's trying to do here is shed off some of the older listeners. Not sure what the actual demos look like, but if Greg skews to a younger audience overall then putting him in drivetime puts the station more in alignment with the overall BBC mandate of getting Radio 1 a younger average listener age as younger folks get out of school.

I've just been reading previous Radio 1 articles regarding the DJ selection and the target audience from The Guardian. Interestingly, in their article titled 'Why Not Sack Every DJ on Radio 1?' which appeared on their music blog in February 2011, the only presenter they suggest should stay is Mills.

"All you can say about newish boy Greg James, 1pm–4pm, is that he's an innocuous radio salaryman who seems to have got a berth at Radio 1 because of his skill at being inconspicuous. His show leads into Scott Mills's long-running 4pm–7pm programme, and ... actually, Mills can stay. He's no less a careerist than any of the others, and his daily stint revolves around stunts like prank phone calls, but you get the sense he knows how ridiculous the whole thing is, and he knows we know. At least someone on Radio 1 is awake."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/feb/04/dj-bbc-radio-1-2-jo-whiley?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

In my opinion, if they want to get a lower listening age, moving Scott doesn't seem to be the way to do it. His show always sounds quite connected with youth to me, more so than any of the others. It's bang on trend.

It's interesting most numbers have gone with Jamella and Greg/Scott as the headline. The Daily Mail, however, are most interested in the 'sidelined' Edith Bowman - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2107819/Edith-Bowman-sidelined-BBC-Radio-1-bosses-second-time-years-shes-replaced-Gemma-Cairney.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

As someone actually in the aimed age demographic, I can safely say that as long as someone's a decent DJ (or good-looking, with the exception of Greg James), I really don't care about the age… As long as they're under fifty… To be honest, I seem to hate the younger DJs more.

Jameela Jamil is the definition of mediocre. I can't believe she's getting a show. And Gemma?

I really dislike women. DJs, celebrities, whatever. They just tend to annoy me by being all famous and fashionable and attractive and all that. Fearne's OK, because I grew up with her on CBBC or whatever. But that's it.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

Thought i wd boot this in.... Just spotted on twitter that moyles has only signed a contract for ONE YEAR. Mills to sign for three. it's all such a game really.

Where did you see that? Last year, it's been reported all over the place (including reliable media) that Moyles signed a contract until 2014. (Mills, if this 3-year-rumour is true, will be signed until 2015)

unique...

I really dislike women. DJs, celebrities, whatever. They just tend to annoy me by being all famous and fashionable and attractive and all that. Fearne's OK, because I grew up with her on CBBC or whatever. But that's it.

Haha. Fearne, ironically, is one of those women who are incredibly famous and fashionable (I don't want to get into a discussion on "attrative" ;)).

I actually think that Radio 1 could do with a few more female DJs. And I mean, in the weekday daytime lineup, not somewhere at the end of the schedule. There used to be Whiley and Bowman, and Cox on weekend afternoons. Now, there will be Fearne, and that's it. Annie Mac, Edith, Sara, Gemma, Jameela, they are all on some almost-graveyard slots...

unique...

I have time for Jameela, she's yet to do a show to be fair.

Unlike Gemma who I just cannot warm to

Still fuming that Greg has been given Drive. What I struggle to comprehend is 1) the obsession with younger listeneres and 2) why they think younger DJs will inherently appeal to younger listeners? They might aswell put me on the radio I'm 16!

Also as a 16 year old my favourite shows are Scott Mills, Sara Cox, Grimmy + Annie Mac (Sunday Evenings), Jo Whiley (R2), Adam & Joe (6 Music). Not the youngest Djs it's quality of there broadcasts and if they can empathize and appeal to a young audience which is important not the thinly veiled ageism which seems to be rampant at Radio 1.

Also surprised that Adam Catteral has not been given a slot he'd be a damn lot better than Gemma (and Greg)

Whether you think Greg is made for the breakfast show is irrelevant. Believe me, I'm with you all; he's probably never going to last long in the Breakfast slot because there is nothing substantial about him. However, 1) that can't be an excuse for not giving him a chance to at least try, and 2) he does at least seem to be a genuine radio guy like Moyles and Mills were. He hasn't come from television - he's a radio geek, and radio geeks tend to do better on radio.

The scariest thing about it all (other than Greg now in line to cover for breakfast show holidays) is that once Moyles is gone - and people can complain about him all they want - there will be no fighting for the betterment of the show. Do you think that Greg James will fight management to let him talk more and play less music? Not a chance. He'll tow the line like a puppet and then get blamed if it all goes wrong. Moyles, faults and all, really pushes for what he thinks will make the show better, and the numbers support his judgement enough that management can only meet him half- or all the way. Bringing in fresh, young presenters is good for demographics but also leaves a bunch of kids who are so thankful to Radio 1 for the opportunity that they go along with everything, lest they rock the boat and get replaced. Moyles knows he can't be replaced, Chris Evans practically forced the station to replace him, and both got to a stage where they could be considered bigger than the station and important enough to do things their way. Come 2014 or whenever Mills and Moyles leave, it's just going to be a line of robots, powered by the Radio One machine.

Whether you think Greg is made for the breakfast show is irrelevant. Believe me, I'm with you all; he's probably never going to last long in the Breakfast slot because there is nothing substantial about him. However, 1) that can't be an excuse for not giving him a chance to at least try, and 2) he does at least seem to be a genuine radio guy like Moyles and Mills were. He hasn't come from television - he's a radio geek, and radio geeks tend to do better on radio.

Huh... you give people a chance because you think they are capable of doing it, not just because you feel that you have to. And I'm afraid to say that noone apart from one Mr Ben Cooper seems to think that Greg is capable (slight exaggeration alert).

unique...

When we are on the subject of djs who won't question anything .... Well, let's include mills in that list. he has long been a corporate bbc kiss ass. just look at some of his tweets, promoting things on the bbc. it's like tv listings in tweet form. And a fat lot of good it has done him. i'd rather like to hear a major meltdown over this, because i am sure a major station would snap him up anyway. and maybe one with less "yoof" obsessions.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0