Unofficial Mills

CHANGES: Scott Mills to swap with Greg James at Radio 1

Jono

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do think the backlash against Greg James on twitter isn't fair and i suppose should be aimed at the bosses, the generation of Mills and Moyles will be hard to top or replicate without ruining radio 1's reputation and the bosses are so stretching them out to keep everyone happy until they find a suitable replacement for them both.

Agreed there, Greg isn't that bad, and he's definitely NOT to blame.

Funny how I get yelled at for hating on Sara Cox occasionally but once again Greg James and Fearne Cotton bear the brunt of criticism...

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

The only problem I have with Radio 1's mantra is: In what world does someone in the age demographic (who shouldn't be at school during the day) actively cares about a host's age? None of the DJs act their age, which lets personality shine through. A teen won't listen just because a younger host drops a "tweet" or a "like me on Facebook" every now and then. The younger audience shouldn't be treated condescendingly.

Did you know one of the most popular shows with American college students, when BBC America showed it, was Bargain Hunt?

Mills had to be replaced eventually, so it actually makes sense to do so now and to give James time to start really filling his boots. He's still around so it's not all bad, but James is the future of the station amongst other young presenters and if they keep Mills going and going, James will be 30-35 by the time he even gets an opportunity and they'll have no one else to fill the role.

Why Mills and not Moyles? 1) Moyles' ratings are higher, 2) Moyles would kick up such a public fuss, the likes of which you'll have never seen before, that it's not in Radio 1's interest to lose him so dramatically, 3) who would replace him? Mills is the same age, so that's a backwards step, but none of the young guns are good enough for the biggest show on the station. Drivetime is the precursor to that spot, so James getting the chance to sink or swim in the deep end is much better for all involved than throwing him in the sea.

Let me equate this to something: Johnny Carson used to host 'The Tonight Show', the staple of late night TV in America, and was beloved by the entire nation. That is our breakfast show. Our drivetime show equates to 'Late Night', which immediately followed The Tonight Show and was hosted for years by David Letterman. Letterman was considered the heir apparent, until Jay Leno came in and took The Tonight Show instead. Letterman left NBC to form a rival show to TTS called 'The Late Show' and NBC brought in Conan O'Brien to host Late Night instead. Conan was the sh*ts and everyone hated him. But, slowly, he started finding his rhythm and groove and became one of the most beloved TV hosts until he finally got control of The Tonight Show (and subsequently bombed, lost his job and ended up working on cable in a public dispute). Conan was replaced by Jimmy Fallon, who was the dirt worst for almost a year until, slowly, he started finding his rhythm and groove...

The moral is, it's always better to use the second string show than the top dog.

This is rubbish news, I like listening to Scott on the way home and while at the stables. I never get to listen to Greg anymore and I didn't used to mind him with Producer Neil but not to take Scott's show at all.

So unimpressed with Radio 1 right now. Scott is the whole reason I started listening to the station, Scott & Moyles are the ones I like to listen to every day.

It means Fearne will have to introduce the news herself I bet since I wouldn't think Scott would.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Oh bloody hell don't we have enough 1Xtra pish on R1 as it is?! We don't need Gemma bloody Cairney, get back over there with the other awful presenters (Mistajam and Westwood excepted)

Oh, shut up. All the daytime presenters at 1Xtra are good. Twin B and Trevor Nelson are fine, but Gemma will be brilliant on weekend breakfast... Anyway, it's sad that Scott is moving to the afternoon slot, but Greg is also very good presenter and he will be good at the drivetime slot. Good luck to him! Btw, 1Xtra takeover is awful, why it wasn't removed from R1 schedule?

Why Mills and not Moyles? 1) Moyles' ratings are higher, 2) Moyles would kick up such a public fuss, the likes of which you'll have never seen before, that it's not in Radio 1's interest to lose him so dramatically, 3) who would replace him? Mills is the same age, so that's a backwards step, but none of the young guns are good enough for the biggest show on the station. Drivetime is the precursor to that spot, so James getting the chance to sink or swim in the deep end is much better for all involved than throwing him in the sea.

You've just perfectly answered there something Viv RTd from some so-called 'celeb journo'

https://twitter.com/#!/JamesJourn/statuses/174517201926238209

As an aside, his bio says he likes N-Dubz, and we all know what happens when NDubz are let on Moyles show...

Interestingly, even LAURA has tweeted out congratulating Greg.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I am very upset, Scott show is still great. If they had to get rid of him I would rather they brought Grimmy in at least he has a personality! Greg seems very nice and all but not interesting, there's nothing wrong with him he's just mediocrity personified. So unhappy about that. I hope they keep Beccy with him + TOTDS

Pleased that Tom Deacon has sodded off though and that Ediths' role is being winded down.

Not much of a fan of Gemma to be honest but I have time for Jameela Jamil I think she seems OK.

I think AG + Jaymo deserved a show not cover.

Just realised that Weekends are pretty poor: Not a fan of Gemma, loathe Vernon (Love Sara) and Huw as nice as he is isn't suited to daytime. I would personally have swapped him with Grimmy (& prefarbly then swap Grimmy and Greg).

Anyway actually quite upset to conclude.

P.S.- Can you imagine a Greg James podcast how boring! Hope Scotts' stays

I hope they keep Beccy with him + TOTDS

Beccy has said she, TOTDS and Chris will be moving with him.

Happy for Gemma but I'm concerned 1Xtra will struggle with listeners if every 9 months they move their schedule around every time someone popular is suitable for Radio 1.

Mills had to be replaced eventually, so it actually makes sense to do so now and to give James time to start really filling his boots. He's still around so it's not all bad, but James is the future of the station amongst other young presenters and if they keep Mills going and going, James will be 30-35 by the time he even gets an opportunity and they'll have no one else to fill the role.

You explained Ben Cooper's reasoning perfectly well there, Mitchell. To me, it seems dead certain that Greg will get Breakfast by 2014 at the very latest.

The thing is, though, I can't see him succeed. He may be a good presenter, but he's nowhere near as outstanding as Moyles is, or Mills, for that matter. Unless he will get a proper co-host - not a sidekick à la Dave, or on-air producers - he'll be a massive failure.

Of course there is a time for Mills/Moyles to leave, but that time is when you have a capable replacement. I'm sure Ben Cooper believes Greg is capable. But I don't agree.

unique...