Unofficial Mills

Radio 1's new website

Tyler1994

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA. My GCSE I.T was creating folders and showing how to do it. They changed our course from a web and desgin based one to a Microsoft office based one. I got two A*. For naming stuff and showing how I did it. GCE I.T is a failure subject.

Totally. I'm doing mine at the moment. Last year we had 7 lessons every fortnight and they were all a total doss. When we handed in our coursework for the first time 19 people failed. The teacher went mental....

I've made about 15 different folders this year, boring....

The sheep is not a creature of the air.

I think it's quite impressive actually. I can see how it's going to be something that splits opinion though. Far from being anything like any other BBC radio site, it's got some nifty ideas and is clearly the route that Radio 1 should be taking to be ahead of the game. It's a gamble and I'm worried the listeners aren't all as smart as website designers, but I'll be interested to see more views. It's not a surprise Radio 1 are moving with the times to introduce a free 'message the studio' feature. I mean texting would be becoming surplus to requirement if there was a cost unlike Twitter/Facebook.

Anyway, I'm rambling and you've not all seen it yet. The BETA testing for Radio 1/1Xtra Online will be announced tomorrow and you'll need to use your BBC ID to get through to it.

Here's what the thinking behind it:

A central theme to our new homepages will be enriching what’s happening live on-air via : Live video, real-time track information, images and messages published in a live feed; Viewers will also be able to slide back to content as well as view and catch up on both audio clips and video.

Social and personalisation are also key themes to the new sites, as we ramp up audience engagement. There is direct connection to the studios through free messaging, the ability to show their love for music or content, and recommendations generated by their tastes.

These pages are designed with the future in mind. Whilst UK radio is showing record reach, the average amount of time people spend listening to the radio is in decline. The new pages will keep our young audiences engaged for longer. They can access content quicker, find it easier and interact with live radio shows in new ways. Furthermore, a track-by-track breakdown (with supporting information such as artwork, 30 sec samples, chart info, biogs and latest releases), is provided so people can learn much more about the music we play and discover new artists.

It’s a big change for us and our listeners and we would welcome your feedback and views ahead of the final changeover

So do use this forum and the feedback areas on their website to let them know how it could be improved, what is broken, and what you like.

Ok, think if you're signed in on a BBCID you can access it via a link to the left of the main scrolling pictures box on the current homepage (where teen awards link was a fortnight back)

I really, really like this site, for what it's worth. Feels really slick and I love the layout style. I'm wondering if the DJs pages will also be updated to the same format? Love it though, very nice so far :D

It's looking really good, but I'm sorry to say it's a usability nightmare. I don't like the javascript popup things that appear when you click on an item in the live feed. Also, I don't see why you need messages in the live feed.

On the lower part of the website, there are just images, no text (alright, text appears when you put the mouse over an image). But I'd like to know what's behind those images without putting the mouse over all of them.

On the current website, you have a box for videos, one for clips, you know what is what. the new page doesn't show you until you hover it. That's uncomfortable. Some sort of structure would be nice. On the beta site, images from the studio, messages, clips, all that stuff is in the same place, has a square image, there is no order. one massive chaos of a website.

unique...