Unofficial Mills

UK Riots !! :-(

Viv

Right. I'll put this out there.

As punishment, what SHOULD happen to these people caught offending in these out-of-control riots?

Benefit cuts?? Should the entire bill be split between everyone found guilty?

@thejeremyvine is discussing on Twitter, and someone is suggesting removing a state pension or the NHS would only fuel further riots. www.twitter.com/thejeremyvine

Incidentally, apparently CRISPS are now being looted.

#madness

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Sadly anything that is done by way of a punishment is only going to cause more rioting.

The girl who justified her/their actions by saying they were doing it because of the rich and they were showing the government that they can do what they want more or less confirmed that no matter what is said/done to the rioters, more will spring up and keep it all going.

Unfortunately there is a mentality in this country now that the government is all wrong, taxes are wrong, cuts are all wrong, bankers are all arseholes blah blah blah. I think its gonna get worse before it gets better, I mean there have been those out there with that attitude for a while now but with the recession etc a lot more people are coming round to this way of thinking. Sad fact is that as much as I don't like the present government, I think anyone would have had to do the same no matter who was in charge, taxes/cuts etc are necessary and I don't blame the banks for it all either.

However people seem to think the world owes them and they are more than happy to do whatever they need in order to take what they think they are owned.

It was bad enough seeing it all on tv, but imagine if it was you sitting at home or in a pub somewhere and you realised that the shop they were looting or torching was your work or business, or it was your car on the tv going up in flames. Best thing would be to get the police out there with guns and take the bastards out the gene pool for good.

Not impressed with censorship

The girl who justified her/their actions by saying they were doing it because of the rich and they were showing the government that they can do what they want more or less confirmed that no matter what is said/done to the rioters, more will spring up and keep it all going.

this goes to show that you can't try and 'talk them out of it', as is being suggested by many. i don't think a lot of people who've grew up in higher class areas understand how stupid these yobs really are. violence can lead to more violence i agree, yet at the same time i can see fourty swear words for one if the police or any other authority went up to them and asked them nicely to stop it. it's a really difficult situation to diffuse.

on the grid.

I'm now thinking this whole thing was an audition for Channel 5's version of Big Brother, the scummiest lowest of the low get in... that's what's REALLY happening in those round-the-clock courts, it's post-audition interviews you mark my words! ;)

That would be the one time a comment about carpet bombing the house would be entirely serious.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

Hoping this petition to stop these idiots claiming various benefits (costing the taxpayer yet more on top of the cost of damage they've caused) http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337 gets enough signatures to be looked at by Parliament (apparently for that to happen it needs 100,000 at least, it's nearly at 85K now). Also heard Manchester council wants to evict any rioters in their council houses?

Anyone convicted of any crime and sentenced to prison automatically loses benefits...

but still costs the taxpayer to keep them in said prison, often in better conditions than some law-abiding people live in... thanks to the 'even violent thuggish criminals who abuse the rights of others have their own human rights' (which apparently includes net access...) lot... :rolleyes:

How very true. The only "net" should probably be around their necks!!

It's fascinating the number of parents who actually agree with their kids.... Noticed on the news the lady saying these kids had nothing to come out to, but are a lot of these parents pushing them in the right direction, getting them an education, etc.?

Also: we are all suffering during this "recession", but smashing the town up and businesses is only gonna take us down further.

plus: I wanna know how situations like these are gonna be prevented for the future??

Heartening that some of the younger rioters were supposedly dragged to the Police Station by their mums the next day. That tells me that it wasn't the parents to blame in ALL cases here, maybe some peer pressure. Either way, no one single cause really... which makes it a war on many different fronts, however much Cameron is trying to give a single solution.

One thing that must not happen is police cuts. And this week proves it beyond any doubt. Police cuts in this country is a recipe for total bloody chaos and disaster.

Some of the people that go about scare me... this morning on my way in some quite young people were crossing the road (looked totally out-of-it), and were walking smack in front of cars whilst not even seeming to realise the cars were there !! **

** welcome to Ayrshire 2011.

Totally opposed to benefit cuts. What's that going to do? Lead to more riots, probably. We as a society have already downgraded these people to the lowest possible level of subhuman scum that is possible, so what do they have to lose? If they lose their benefits, they'll just get themselves arrested so that they can have a roof put over their heads without the burden of money.

What happened to building for the future? What happened to thinking about how never to let this happen again, instead of pushing the rioters into prisons and letting our obviously completely flawed society continue as it is, with prejudices and nose-upturned judgemental TV shows destroying every chance we have of an all-inclusive society. We claim to be multi-cultured and go to extremes to show that we accept all races, colours and creeds, yet our collective attitude to the "dole-seeking Jeremy Kyle-type scum" is sickening. Completely sickening, and destructive too.

It's amazing having watched people on my Twitter and Facebook who watch Jeremy Kyle and pass judgement on these people daily, and then wonder why they might possibly get bored of being paraded around like monkeys and decide to raid the cities that have effectively disassociated themselves.

Everyone who watches shows like Jeremy Kyle and then condemned the rioters as scum who need to be arrested or shot by the army are complete idiots. You're a huge part of the reason why all this happened. Shattered glass is on your hands.

For a change im inclined to agree with mitchell. also locking people up will only lead to someone having a criminal record, and even less likely to get a job. there was a discussion on radio two about the riots earlier, and a QC they had on was saying it is very likely exemplary sentences will be passed, i.e. Extra harsh, to show people how this will go if they start back up again. someone on twitter was saying to me earlier that the banks shd never have just got away with their cause of the financial crisis.

the rioting was nothing to do with the cuts, the people responsible for rioting & especially looting did it because they think they can get away with it, they saw other people on the TV news getting away with it so they went out & did the same, now if they had watched rioters & looters being shot at by the police they may have decided not to go out rioting & looting.

the main reasons for what happened are that there are no consequences, they know that nothing will happen to them & IF they do get sent to prison it will be one built from cushions & playstations, instead of iron bars & bare concrete.

:)

Cameron is now approaching the Los Angeles police for advice apparently. Well, if it works...

Another thought I randomly had on Thursday was the "on-going celebrity culture" .... as mad as it sounds, how many people (young in particular) look to celebrities and celebrity lifestyles and feel they are "failing" by comparison. In many ways, has the actual media fueled a large part of this?