Unofficial Mills

Andy Parfitt leaves Radio 1 & 1xtra

DarkAngelMJH

Date: 21.07.2011

Category: BBC; Radio 1

BBC Director of Audio & Music Tim Davie has announced today that Andy Parfitt, Controller of BBC Radio 1, is to leave the station after 13 years.

Andy will relinquish the reins at Radio 1 and also Radio 1Xtra, the Asian Network and Popular Music – at the end of July to pursue new opportunities.

Appointed Controller, BBC Radio 1, in March 1998, Andy has led Radio 1 and 1Xtra to record audience figures – Radio 1's reach increasing to nearly 12 million listeners a week – and significant growth for the Asian Network. He has built Radio 1's reputation for public service radio through high quality entertainment, news, documentaries, social action campaigns and support for new music, and successfully transformed the network from a purely analogue offering to a fully interactive and innovative multiplatform proposition.

Andy Parfitt said: "I am immensely proud to have held this position and I leave with all three stations in great shape with their listening figures at record highs and following a great BBC wide Glastonbury event. I'm most proud of the incredible teams I'm leaving behind – a group of talented, hardworking, creative and inspirational people who are a credit to the BBC."

Tim Davie, Director, Audio & Music, said: "Andy has been a fantastic Controller and leaves Radio 1 in rude health – with distinctive, high quality programmes and record listening figures – having transformed the station into a fully interactive digital proposition. He has been an inspirational leader within the BBC and is highly respected across the whole of the radio industry."

Andy will take up new challenges both inside and outside of the BBC, working part-time for BBC Radio on leadership development and taking on an advisory role with Comic Relief – working alongside Chief Executive Kevin Cahill and his team of directors – as well as developing new opportunities outside of the organisation.

Tim Davie will soon begin the recruitment process to appoint a new Controller. In the interim, Deputy Controller of BBC Radio 1 & 1Xtra, Ben Cooper will become Acting Controller BBC Radio 1 and 1Xra.

Bob Shennan, Controller Radio 2 and 6Music, will take responsibility of Popular Music and the Asian Network.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/07_july/21/parfitt.shtml
james_ryder.png

I saw the idea somewhere on Twitter that he was basically making sure Moyles is sorted for the Breakfast Show to go to 10 years... Kinda makes sense. I wonder if Cecilia Bartholomew-Doofer will be taking credit, part 1 of a plan to get rid of Moyles: A Sacrificial pawn. :rolleyes:

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

parfitt is hit and miss for me, some of his choices i've had a very hard time understanding. but some of my favorite dj's such as mark and lard, scott mills, chris moyles, simon mayo, dave pearce, judge jules etc have thrived under him. so i wish him the best of luck in the future. disagree about radio 1's condition at the moment though, i think it's needs someone creative and fresh to take parfitts old job and revitalise the station.

on the grid.

i think it's needs someone creative and fresh to take parfitts old job and revitalise the station.

I was reading yesterday that with Parfitt's departure, Switch is one of the things likely to bite the dust!! Parfitt apparently wanted that for the "yoof".... That's one good thing at least. Get rid of some of this stuff which only patronises younger listeners, and makes them switch off. *

* Source: Wikio Alerts.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Sara Cox and Vernon Kay among Radio 1 DJs 'facing axe'

Radio 1 DJs Sara Cox and Vernon Kay are among those reportedly facing the axe after station boss Andy Parfitt quit.

It's thought that the BBC is keen to attract a younger audience to the station, with Sara, Kay, Edith Bowman, Pete Tong and Scott Mills thought to be among the DJs over 30 in the firing line.

A source told The Daily Mirror that one of the criticisms most often targeted at Parfitt was that Radio 1 was not youthful enough and the new controller will probably look to change this.

'Anyone coming in will want to put their own stamp on the station and address this problem. The DJs are not stupid, they know this move signals change in the coming months,' they said.

The departure of Parfitt is being mourned by a number of the best-known DJs at the station, including many of those reportedly lined up for the axe.

Kay posted on Twitter that his former boss was 'a real asset to the BBC, unique, encouraging, focused and a great chap', adding he would miss him.

Meanwhile, Sara said: 'Thanks for being a top nice boss, you are more super than Kate Moss.'

Parfitt has worked for the BBC since 1979 will stay on part-time to work for BBC radio leadership development.

SackMoylesNow Cecilia Bartholemew

With my friend in charge of Radio One things will be very different!

21 Jul

chriskiller_normal.jpg

SackMoylesNow Cecilia Bartholemew

Very pleased to hear of Andy Parfitts long overdue retirement.I plan to lobby hard for a certain candidates application...

21 Jul

james_ryder.png

But some of these DJs are the reason I tune in! Younger DJs eg. Fearne, Greg, Tom Deacon annoy me.

Also, I don't think that the new controller would be so stupid as to get rid of the DJs that bring in the highest listening figures like Scott and Edith.

If Scott leaves, I wouldn't listen as much.

The sheep is not a creature of the air.

But some of these DJs are the reason I tune in! Younger DJs eg. Fearne, Greg, Tom Deacon annoy me.

Also, I don't think that the new controller would be so stupid as to get rid of the DJs that bring in the highest listening figures like Scott and Edith.

If Scott leaves, I wouldn't listen as much.

yes but apparently you're too old or radio 1 now, and you shouldn't like chris moyles and scott mills because they are old and shouldn't be funny to you.

take into account, mark radcliffe was 44 when he was on radio 1. and i was walking around secondary school listening to him. i didn't give a flying fuck how old he was. i just liked his radio show. same goes for pete tong with me right now.

on the grid.

yes but apparently you're too old or radio 1 now, and you shouldn't like chris moyles and scott mills because they are old and shouldn't be funny to you.

I'm only 15!

Im just don't find the others funny at all, and Scott and Chris' sense of humor is quite like mine.

The sheep is not a creature of the air.

i don't know so much about Scott, but i know of people who are happy to listen to Chris in the mornings although they wouldn't listen to the rest of radio 1. I quite like Scott and Greg but i far prefer Chris, i know others aren't that keen on him but i absolutely loved the marathon show when he was literally unavoidable. Good times

Not impressed with censorship