Unofficial Mills

"Scotland Is"

cxx666

Does anyone else find the "Scotland Is" trail for T in the Park which has been played today, no doubt all the way through till Sunday as well, absolutely bloody awful?

When I was listening this morning when Chris played it, at first I thought it was a joke but then I began to think it was being dragged out a bit too much to be a joke.

Not impressed with censorship

Racial Stereotyping, and about 5 minutes too long...

Also, does this sort of thing (along with the massive glasto coverage) infringe on the BBC's supposed impartiality to companies? That's essentially what festivals are, so why are they allowed such massive coverage?

etheridge_tom.png

I actually think this trail is pretty good. It shows they are taking into account the unique identity of Scotland, they understand that this is the biggest music event if the year in the country and that they respect that it is in Scotland.

Maybe it is a bit long but I think its a brilliant idea. Im English but moved to Scotland with work last year and never met people who are so proud of where they come from - the bit which talks about cheering when your 3-0 down couldnt sum it up better.

To be honest, as a "Scot", although I always identify myself as British, I found it rather embarassing and cringeworthy. Ok fair enough if someone wants to have national pride then let them, but I think there is such a thing as too much national pride and patriotism and sadly I don't think anywhere is worse for than than Scotland.

They also failed to mention Scotland having the highest quantity of deaths from heart disease in the UK, despite the 'bravery' of their hearts. Might have put a bit of a downer on the thing I suppose.

Mind you, at least I got loads of mentions over the weekend.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Why on Earth would you put something so negative into something which is supposed to be about entertainment??

Least we'll never be a bunch o boring paella chomping b******* !! Anywhere there is fun, there is US, rocking it !!

T in the Park

Fringe Fest - all about US

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Funnily enough Nati went to Glasgow University, spent 4 years there - and loved it - and is anything but a scot-hating boring paella chomping whatnot, actually having an enduring fondness for the place and people. Her username is even based on her favourite venue in Glasgow... I think that her post was more an ironic remark on the trails to be honest, rather than any attempt at scot (or Viv) bashing. As for making negative comments in a thread, need we even mention your more directly negative remarks in Kizmok's baby thread (among others)? And posting 'I hate Nati' in the shoutbox is a bit OTT don't you think? It says much more about you than anyone or anything else.

Back on topic, I'm not a fan of the trailers as they're overlong and don't really generate much interest for me.

I think this is the only post i agree with. only a small percentage of people DO go, same even with the edinburgh stuff which we will have to listen to shortly for weeks. Great if ya do go..... If not, it doesnt really mean a lot. Will enjoy watching online, but you do get this stuff for days and days on end.

Slightly off topic, I find it fascinating that R1 have a trail for the station which involves people not actually liking the station !! And one, from Paris, who doesn't listen even listen to the station.

Er.... time for a bit of a rethink.

only a small percentage of people DO go, same even with the edinburgh stuff which we will have to listen to shortly for weeks.

I think the difference with the Fringe and things like T and Glastonbury is that those pair only last a weekend while the Fringe lasts a month, also the other difference is with the Edinburgh festival there are a lot more opporunities to go and see things no matter what your price range, unlike those bigger music festivals where people can be very easily priced out of going as there is a limited number of tickets and people buy to sell on but which bumps up costs.

I have to agree with the earlier comment about there being too much fuss made over them though, fortunately the 2 worst examples are now over for the year. I can't be bothered with the hype around a music festival, personally the thought of live music, camping, and generally being grubby for an entire weekend does not appeal to me let alone all 3 combined into 1 living hell. Fair enough people will wanna go, but they need to remember that there is a lot of others who can't go or have no interest in going.

there are a lot more opporunities to go and see things no matter what your price range, .

I actually LOVE the fact you can see really, really talented people for absolutely nothing. I do hope some of the acts I saw last year got snapped up by someone !! Fantastic!!

Do you know of any cafes near the town centre that would be a bit less busy than the Royal Mile??? I had to queue for ages last year, and thought I was gonna collapse at one point. :-(

I do hope some of the acts I saw last year got snapped up by someone !!

Funnily enough, I was watching Comedy Roadshow a while back and on comes this skinny Asian guy who looked very familiar. Later on I did a spot of facebooking and I found his official fan page, so I got on there and asked him if he had been the compare of a show which was part of the Free Fringe a year earlier, and sure enough it was him. I remember at the time thinking he was good and it seems that many others agreed. Good times.

Do you know of any cafes near the town centre that would be a bit less busy than the Royal Mile??? I had to queue for ages last year, and thought I was gonna collapse at one point. :-(

Well, for a start I would say avoid those cafes anyways for the costs, I don't really know of any cafes that are near the Royal Mile but there are plenty pubs in the Grassmarket, just over the road and down from the Royal Mile. If you're really not that bothered about sitting on a bench eating a pre-packed sandwich, packet of crisps and a bottle of juice, then there are some mini supermarkets a stones throw from the Royal Mile and Grassmarket. Sainsburys is just up from the Grassmarket and Tesco is just up from the crossroads at the Royal Mile and the Bridges. Pretty sure it wouldn't be as busy and obviously it would probably be cheaper as well if you're looking for a day out on a budget.

The part I'm not looking forward to this year is that I'll be doing the training for (hopefully) my new job right through the festival, town is gonna be absolutely horrible :(