Unofficial Mills

To iPhone or not to iPhone?

Jono

I've just managed to destroy my iPod Touch. The ear jack went a bit wrong, I had no warranty, tried to sort it myself and the screen/LED cracked. In two weeks Orange I can upgrade my phone (currently a HTC Hero) and I'm wondering whether to go with an iPhone to save the bother of having to get an iPod... but they're still quite pricey! HTC haven't got a lot out at the moment that amazes me (likely my choice would a Desire HD) so what do you think. Should I make the jump to Apple or not?

worth it.

my friend had a blackberry for quite a while. he's just gone on to a new contract and he says the i phone that came with it is x2 better than his old phone, even after just a few days. i've had my 3gs for a year and a half, and so far so good with it. i've had apsolutley no trouble at all. it's more like a small computer, with the function of calling and texting people. i reccomend hooking it up to your wi-fi though.

on the grid.

Get the desire HD, I've got it and I think it's a really good phone, battery life on it is is shut though, needs charging everyday if it's in constant use!

Sadly I think all modern phones with such capabilities go like that.

i think at the moment the iphone is the mobile to have, but if your on a two year contract & have to pay something towards it as well it's pretty expensive, also you will have to wait for the iphone 5 to come out, i think most want a iphone & who can blame them as everything with it works great, but Android is getting better & better the apps are to, the only reason i think the Droid apps are not as good is because of the difficulty in paying for them.

i have a ZTE Blade (£70 p&g) on Droid & it can do basically what every other Droid phone can do thus what a iphone can do to, i have the best of both really a Droid mobile & a ipod touch, all i use my phone for is internet & texting, as for a iphone i know the ipod touch is pretty good on the battery so the iphone will be to i guess but how long does it last when listening to music all the time ?

it's a bit tough to choose at the moment, but i wouldn't get a iphone on principle due to the price, there is really no need for it to be as expensive as it is.

:)

most smart phones will only last a day on a full charge, not really a issue though tbh.

I managed to get it to last for almost a week, because I didn't have any charging possibilities. I turned off the internet network though...

Is there any way to turn off the internet on the HTC Desire? My brother got that one and he's now waaaaays over his monthly data limit.

"I like Franziska. Sounds mad as a box of frogs, but we like her." (Dev)

I managed to get it to last for almost a week, because I didn't have any charging possibilities. I turned off the internet network though...

Is there any way to turn off the internet on the HTC Desire? My brother got that one and he's now waaaaays over his monthly data limit.

best to use a app killer like https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.infolife.taskmanager&feature=more_from_developer

a data monitor like https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jupiterapps.phoneusage&feature=search_result

Both of those won't help with the internet problem. And also, you shouldn't use task killers on Android.

To turn off the internet, just hold down power 'til the menu comes up, bottom option, Mobile Internet.

To turn it off mostly for good rather than just occasionally like that is good for, home screen > press MENU > Settings > Wireless & networks > remove the check on Mobile network.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Well, if you're abroad it's a must otherwise the costs will be huge.

Then - it could just be to avoid more charges. Maybe for sake of battery power. But most of the time you might as well have it on as it makes phones so much more useful.

all it does it stop programs running in the background when you have finished using them, as soon as you press on the internet icon it starts up again, it also saves on RAM, i have a white list on mine so that certain programs don't get shut down by the app killer

all it does it stop programs running in the background when you have finished using them, as soon as you press on the internet icon it starts up again, it also saves on RAM, i have a white list on mine so that certain programs don't get shut down by the app killer

You're getting 2 things confused. One, app killers, as you're talking about there (which as noted in the article I linked aren't really a good idea) - and second, mobile internet - internet capabilities, 3G, and turning that off. That's different to not opening the internet app.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

• 2 years later...

Got an S3, but I may go back to the iphone next time. It's having trouble charging, and I can't figure out why. It can even be plugged in and if I'm using it, it'll discharge. It's had a factory reset and everything. Besides, I've just had a macbook pro. So I may as well go back to apple now.

on the grid.