Unofficial Mills

New Newsbeat jingles to launch 6 June

Ant L

At last!

Looking forward to hearing them. I wonder who created them though...

I wonder if this will change the voiceovers aswell. The male voice has been used since June 2009, Holly (female voice), has been on since October 2008!

Latest additions:

- Full Imaging Beds package (2009-2010)

- 2009 re-voice by Music4 (DRY+WET IDs, chart numbers 1-40)

- BBC Top Gear - Backing beds used in programs

They are probably losing the logo so that it fits in more seamlessly at weekends with the 1Xtra news bed!

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case!

Latest additions:

For anyone who's interested, the new Newsbeat jingles package is produced by a company called Koink. They're on Twitter: @koink

Interesting that they're the company behind the latest chart jingles. It doesn't look like they update their website vigorously, so bad news for fellow jingle geeks like myself.

I liked Digital FM Online. I like when I am making toast in the morning, and this comes on, and it sounds so dramatic I feel my toaster my explode, and I must step away from the appliance and listen to the news.

There's no way this new jingle is gonna have that effect, and I'm not happy :-(

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Compared to previous Newsbeat packages, which had around about 40 cuts, this seems like a relatively small package:

Also, with the 1Xtra versions, surely, that must make it difficult at weekends, if each station uses a seperate news bed? E.g. you may hear both the R1+1Xtra beds at the same time, or no bed at all. Or it may not be technically possible.

imageview.php?quickkey=f2w12rwtmrmk10k&thumb=4

Latest additions:

Just had a listen to 1xtra. It seems their jingles are pretty much the same (including the Listen, Watch Share tagline) and have even adopted the Newsbeat name.

I guess it would make sense to do it that way.

Not awful.

Well, I think they're alright - the production doesn't seem quite right on them, eg the end as discussed on Moyles, it's too abrupt and doesn't blend - and the ramp doesn't really build, it's just STRAIGHT IN FULL MUSIC.

They're not bad, and I think when people get used to getting the right levels they'll sound a bit better - sometimes the volume has been a bit low on the stabs when going in to the next bed and it looses some impact.

However, I love them for the amount of content it gave Moyles this morning. Listen / Watch / Cher, the other Listen... ideas and their remixes were hilarious.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Just heard the new package in action and it is certainly the definition of bland, nothing really stands out and gets me to listen as the old Newsbeat packages did. Don't know about the whole listen/watch/share strapline, it just sounds a bit naff - and even though there is drive to make radio multi-platform these days during events, I don't think watch really works most of the time as the roving webcams are off, and they are deviating from what the whole point of R1 is, a radio station!

Interesting these jingles, if you're sad like us. As jingles I like them, I like the logo, but for me the main problem is they just don't sound "newsy", IE serious enough. When Tina was reading the top story in a serious tone of voice this morning it just didn't sound right. For the sport they'd be fine.

As for "listen, watch, share" that just signifies the way the industry is going, whether we like it or not. To survive stations are having to do more than just conventional radio, hence the additional interactivity and video content. Radio 1 are reflecting that so I don't think its a bad thing, its just the station evolving. Others will follow. Overall not too bad and I'll get used to them. A refresh was much needed as believe it or not the old style and logo had been used for ages, 2004 I think, albeit with the packages being refreshed every few years.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I absolutely love them. They're completely different, and I love the new sound. Moyles spent long time thismorning discussing them.

Latest additions:

When Tina was reading the top story in a serious tone of voice this morning it just didn't sound right.

Although I can't help feeling that aswell! The news headlines and news main bed are pretty much the same (if not exactly the same?)

I couldn't really give an opinion on sports bed, as it was played far too quietly.

I like the weather, aswell as the mid-news 'BBC Radio 1,... Newsbeat' stab. That part works better than before.

The news out though, is too abrupt. They should have just added more reverb.

I haven't listened to one of the 12.45/5.45 bulletins yet, but I aim to do so soon.

Overall, I'm really impressed!

The R1 Newsbeat 4-note sonic logo has been used since January 2005. The 2003 package was created by David Lowe (creater of BBC News music), and this was reflected in the package. 2004 was a refresh by the Station Sound team. Everything from 2005 was created by Music4. The 2005 package was used until January 2007. The package that was on air a few days ago was a remix of the 2007 package, created in January 2009.

Latest additions: