Unofficial Mills

Opinions On World's Worst Place To Be Gay !!

Viv

I know there is a separate topic already on this, but has anyone seen any of the clips from this, or read through any of the stories??

Would it affect your life, and your attititudes towards people in the UK?? Or would you think it's all too far away to really concern you? (this seems to be the attitude of a number of people on twitter). Some people I have spoken to this morning actually share the views of many of the anti-gay people in Uganda. It's only an 8 hour flight away from the UK, yet it's just shocking.

The absolute ignorance in this country is ASTOUNDING, including "cleansing" someone of being gay with chickens and water..... if it wasn't so bloody ridiculous, it would be laughable.

And this story - THIS: Stosh: When she was a teenager she was raped by a man to try and "cure" her of her lesbianism and as a result was infected with HIV. THIS story is the one that infuriates me the most.

If you haven't had the chance, please view the clips now by clicking on the link below. Scott presents well, although I still don't feel he was confrontational enough.

The actual doc will be, as previously mentioned, Monday at 9:30 pm, BBC 3

A bit about it on the homepage here - http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/content.php?205-Scott-Mills-feared-imprisonment-in-Uganda

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yrt1c - Btw, you get to see Scott almost naked... How cool is that. ;) Rock on - great weekend viewing, peeps!!

9/10.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're rating something that hasn't aired yet, you're a funny one!

Well.... er... quite frankly... the clips already are quite an insight, as are the online stories.... I imagine when I do watch the full version it will get 10/10.

That 'chicken and water' curing someone treatment tells me just about everything I need to know about outdated attitudes, prejudices, stupidity, ignorance and downright flakiness by the looks of it.

O, and there's just as much prejudice in the UK, proved to me by quite a nasty little 'exchange' on twitter yesterday. You know who you are, out there!!!!!!! HA!! And changing your Username won't cut it!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: Loving your Avatar, Ryan!! :hahaha:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yrt1c - Btw, you get to see Scott almost naked... How cool is that. ;) Rock on - great weekend viewing, peeps!!

9/10.

10 / 10 I think…

This topic is really close to my heart. I found out about it quite a few months ago, and the Ugandan people disgust me. Diversity is what this world thrives on, so why are we so set against it!

A mon avis, it is a fucking disgrace to the human race (I'm a poet and I know it).

I will so be watching this, and might force some of my friends to too. They probably won't though, because they tend to hate whatever I like, just to piss me off. It's quite funny because I started a story the other day, and they knew it was about Scott before I'd even said two words, and then they started 'la la la'-ing. :( But yay, I got a picture of his face in my birthday card. :)

Anyway, meh at Ugandan homophobes.

OMASM. Radio presenters are like fruit. Matt is my kumquat and Scott is blatantly my orange.

I'm sure that with it being about gay men, Annalie will have got a sneak preview screening DVD from the BBC for 'review purposes'... :P

I too wish to participate in "Review Purposes" and will happily do it for free. :-) *

*I am available 24/7 365 days per year (more on a Leap Year).

On the page about the programme, when it talks about Scott Mills near the bottom of the page, it says "He also confronts and challenges an assortment of bigots on their homophonic attitudes" - the typo made me laugh, at a very serious subject.

Anyway, I look forward to this. Yesterday's Observer Review had this featured in the TV guide with a photo, plus on the opposite page it featured Scott's radio show.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I was incredibly impressed and moved by this documentary. It was excruciating watching Scott's pure frustration whilst speaking to some of those bigots. It was also very sad to share in his disappointment when he realised that change is virtually impossible.

PS. Also enjoyed the wet chicken bit though.

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.