Unofficial Mills

What a surprise - TG in hot water again

R94N

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12338053

I think this was following Hammond and May's comments in the news segment of the show following that Mexican sports car thing.

'Mexico's ambassador in London has complained to the BBC over "offensive, xenophobic and humiliating" comments made about his country on Top Gear.'

'Eduardo Medina Mora has written to the BBC about "insults" made by Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson and James May.

Discussing a Mexican sports car, Hammond said vehicles reflected national characteristics so "Mexican cars are just going to be lazy".

The BBC did not comment but said it would respond directly to Mr Mora.'

Just thought it was an interesting story but certainly nothing out of the ordinary; TG is always getting complains just because Clarkson can be so 'controversial' sometimes. I swear people watch the show just so they can write in and complain...

I heard on tinpot local radio this morning during their paper review thingy that some rag was reporting Top Gear was going to be 'axed' because of this... :rolleyes:

Some say I may have even uttered "Bulls**t" under my breath on hearing this...

They actually turned it into a rather interesting discussion on 5Live's Up All Night last night, with a Mexican (living in UK but Mexican by birth) who was saying the Ambassador needs to lighten up and that the comments were taken out of context if they offended anyones.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

I think that Taiwanese vid is more racist than Top Gear was... Also, it's all taken out of context the same as when people judge Clarkson to be an a**hole, they need to realise that they all have an on-air persona which is a much-exaggerated version of themselves (especially in Clarkson's case, pretty sure he plays up to it and Hammond does now, not so sure about May). I've seen someone tweet that "apparently a little on-air racism only needs an apology whereas off-air sexism warrants the sack", this is obviously someone who doesn't get the above point about Top Gear, they also may not realise that the Sky guy that got sacked had previous evidence showing that was truly representative of his opinion (which was NOT the case with Top Gear).

Oh dear, some people have far too much time on their hands if they're making that video :P

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. It was a joke about national stereotypes, the ambassador needs to lighten up and see the funny side. Nobody should be getting dragged over hot coals for any of this, it was merely a bit of fun and some boring guys probably in suits have no sense of hiumour.

Not impressed with censorship

Excellent. Means the BBC sees the show in context and realises Clarkson and co are effectively characters... something a certain Mr Coogan seems to have missed in a massively hypocritical fashion judging by his article in The Guardian on the whole affair. :rolleyes:

Oh dear, some people have far too much time on their hands if they're making that video :P

I think this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. It was a joke about national stereotypes, the ambassador needs to lighten up and see the funny side. Nobody should be getting dragged over hot coals for any of this, it was merely a bit of fun and some boring guys probably in suits have no sense of hiumour.

Yeah, exactly. And also, I think it's a news site that makes these animations. They've made one about the iPhone 'antennagate' (if you remember) and a few other things as well. I follow the 'tech scene' and the industry and the news and stuff, and their animations feature a lot :P (hope that doesn't sound 'douchey'!)