Unofficial Mills

Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights sparks complaints to Ofcom

Behelzebub

Frankie Boyle has faced a wave of criticism as his controversial style was condemned by a prominent MP and mental health and disability campaigners.

Complaints have now been lodged with broadcasting watchdog Ofcom over three different parts of the comedian's Channel 4 series Tramadol Nights.

The use of the words "nigger" and "Paki" in Tuesday's episode were condemned by Conservative MP John Whittingdale who branded Boyle "a serial offender".

The MP, who is chairman of the House of Commons Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said: "The words are deeply offensive to a large number of people. I don't think even in comedy it is justified."

Channel 4 said the use of the words was "satirical", not racist. A spokesman said: "Channel 4 strongly refutes any suggestion we are endorsing or condoning racist language by our broadcast of Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights.

"This cutting edge comedy is clearly intended to ridicule and satirise the use of these words - Frankie Boyle was not endorsing them.

"Channel 4 would not have broadcast these words had they been used in a racist way. All the jokes highlight the unacceptable nature of this language."

Ofcom is already investigating Boyle's show after he made a controversial joke about model Katie Price's disabled son and a mental health charity said it had complained to Ofcom about a different sketch in a further episode.

Katie complained to Ofcom earlier this month after what she described as a "vile" joke about her son Harvey.

Mark Davies, director of communications at mental health charity Rethink, has written to the watchdog saying a sketch which parodied an advert designed to reduce the stigma around mental illness was misleading and offensive.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/23122010/19/boyle-facing-wave-complaints.html

I personally find all this completely ridiculous. It's very clearly stated before each episode that the show is 'for adults only' and contains 'uncompromising adult content that some viewers will find offensive'. Yet people still feel the need to watch and then complain about it afterwards. Anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence can see that the jokes he makes on the show are purely satirical. Sadly it seems to be the case (and more so in recent years) that the second people hear 'racist' or offensive language being used on a comedy show like this they just blindly complain to Ofcom without stopping to consider why such language is being used and the point that's being made. But that's just my own opinion, I'd be interested to see what other people think about this which is why I'm starting this thread.

*climbs down off of soapbox*

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

can't say i'm surprised to be honest. He was funny when he appeared on Mock The Week, but since he's announced he's quitting the stand up etc he seems to have gone all out to just be offensive. Some of it is funny, but i can honestly say i'm glad i didn't get tickets for his tour and didn't buy the dvd after having seen it and Tramadol Nights.

I loves stand up, and believe there is nothing that can't be joked about (depending on the company you're in of course) but for me, Frankie Boyle just isn't funny any more

Not impressed with censorship

I agree here, if people want to complain because it's crap compared to his other stuff, fine. This though, it's almost like people watch deliberately KNOWING they will be offended and it's like there's been some sort of campaign in the Daily Fail. Are there people I would possibly recommend DON'T watch this show, yes, but there was quite frankly more offensive and less funny stuff in The Morgana Show (which I switched off after less than 10 minutes on the one time I've tried to watch it, maybe the people 'offended' by Boyle should follow this action?). I did see a Blog where Boyle was compared to 'Bernard Manning in an irony suit', couldn't disagree more with that comparison.

Channel 4 were absolutely right to defend him on this one if you ask me, he's ALWAYS been edgy, if you don't like it, don't watch.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

He isn't my favourite comic by a long mile, and alot of his stuff I don't really find funny, but I wouldn't be offended by it. I agree with what your saying though. Its like someone with a peanut allergy eating a big bag of them and then suing the company!

take control

I think some people like to be offended just so they can then complain. I mean people from the charities that were watching it were most likely hoping to sue for some money, they knew exactly what he is like. I know I don't like his comedy so I didn't watch it. Simple as that really, don't know how the rest of the populationscan't seem to do it that way.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

if you don't like it, don't watch.

Absolutely, I wouldn't watch something I knew I wasnt going to enjoy, and if it was something new and I didnt enjoy it, I simply wouldn't watch it again.

Frankie Boyle is known for his very dark sense of humour. People who go to see him or get the DVD should know what to expect and can't really complain if they are being offended. If his sort of opinions and jokes were being made by the likes of Michael McIntyre or Peter Kay then yes I would fully agree with complaints, as this is not the sort of material those guys use and it could come as a shock and be offensive to the people who would go to see them, but really we all have an idea of the sort of things that could be expected from Frankie.

That said, I think Channel 4 have to shoulder a little responsibility for this, as they made the decision that the material was fit for broadcast. Its all well and good putting warnings up at the start of a show to warn people, but thats of no use to those who miss the start of a program or are channel hopping.

I think this will all blow over very quickly. By his own admission its his final tour and (I assume) final tv show and he doesnt give a f*ck. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling he could be playing up to his reputation as he wants to be remembered for something after he quits the comedy circuit.

I think some people like to be offended just so they can then complain.

Oh yes, Sachsgate springs to mind here. How many people didn't hear the original broadcast, but listened to it again online etc to see if they were offended, and were duly offended and then complained?

well Chris Rock is regularly on the comedy channels on sky

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwK_XVfm0I?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwK_XVfm0I?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

oh yeah & what about all the people Jordan has offended with her ugly face/body & filthy mouth, dumb bitch likes to give it but can't take it, oh & wasn't she dressing up her daughter in skimpy clothing & going on about plastic surgery, i'll tell you whats more offensive & thats this whore, no sorry calling her a whore is offensive to prostitutes, so this 'thing' promoting or encouraging to girls to dress like a hooker, fuck around with different men, to become successful you have to get your tit's out. yeah what a excellent roll model.

every joke told will offend somebody & if they don't like it, well that's their own problem.

oh & this is funny because it's TRUE !

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJqbO0zHss?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJqbO0zHss?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> :giggle:

worlds most offensive joke ! warning this is for over 18's only search on youtube "Gilbert Gottfried Aristocrats Joke" joke starts at 1:30 *i didn't post here for obvious reasons

:)

Well if you wont, I will. I know no danger.

Kids... educate yourselves...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA0dIz9-Wk?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA0dIz9-Wk?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

take control

Dont watch it then..

I feel I should quickly explain my opinion on Frankie Boyle. The guy is funny, no doubt about that. But his delivery isn't as funny. If the delivery was similar to Jack Dee in the sense that he was more 'dead pan' with it, I think it would make the joke darker and funnier.

take control

Jimmy Carr is one of the best for offence..

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagayzX2T7Y?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagayzX2T7Y?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Check out the rack at 6.47

take control

The differnce between Jimmy Carr's offensive jokes and Frankie Boyle's is all in the delivery. Frankie is much more flat with a cynical and, i think at times, almost a hateful tone in his voice, even if it is not necessarily meant. Jimmy is I think much cheerier and cheeky in his delivery with jokes, is far more animated and his tone is much more bouncey compared to Frankies flatter style.

I think thats why Jimmy Carr doesnt generally make the headlines with his material, unless of course we're talking about the Paralympic Games joke which got him into trouble.

Well if you wont, I will. I know no danger.

Kids... educate yourselves...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA0dIz9-Wk?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA0dIz9-Wk?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

oh i meant this version

:)

Frankie is much more flat with a cynical and, i think at times, almost a hateful tone in his voice

But that's part of his act/working persona?

For more jokes some consider 'offensive', look up Bill Hicks. Massive talent but died waaaaaay too young. One of my favourites is his video about government coverups of the JFK Assasination (bit of that even got sampled in a Freeland track - We Want Your Soul).

Did you know frankie boyle used to work as a care worker with autistic kids in Glasgow

Nice, the Care field in general seems to be a breeding ground for comedians, Jo Brand used to be a psychiatric nurse, and I believe there are other examples I just can't think of right this minute.